Where did my EXIF data go?

AmanitaMAmanitaM Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited April 15, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I am finding that when I upload an image to SmugMug, usually only one of the four sizes of my image will have the EXIF data. Even more mysterious, the one size that has the EXIF data is not always the same one! It can be either Large or Original, but not both. Then, there is another image I uploaded that has EXIF data for every size except Small.

This strikes me as capricious, if not crazy, and seems to be something the Smugmug software is doing to/with my image, rather than something I did, but I cannot be sure. Is there any rhyme or reason to this, and how might I get all my image sizes to show EXIF, or at least for the Original size to consistently show EXIF data?

Comments

• pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2006
    I just checked a couple of images that I uploaded tonight as well as a few uploaded late last year.

Only the original JPG has the EXIF/IPTC data. The S, M and L sizes have been stripped of that data.

smumug may be doing this to save file size to facilitate faster download/viewing.

I can understand them doing so, but I would have at least liked to see them not strip the copyright and contact fields.
  • AmanitaMAmanitaM Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 15, 2006
    So my case is even more mysterious
    At least your photos are being stripped of EXIF data in a rational fashion. Mine are not! SmugMug cannot seem to decide. What could be the basis for this? Image size?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2006
    AmanitaM wrote:
    I am finding that when I upload an image to SmugMug, usually only one of the four sizes of my image will have the EXIF data. Even more mysterious, the one size that has the EXIF data is not always the same one! It can be either Large or Original, but not both. Then, there is another image I uploaded that has EXIF data for every size except Small.

This strikes me as capricious, if not crazy, and seems to be something the Smugmug software is doing to/with my image, rather than something I did, but I cannot be sure. Is there any rhyme or reason to this, and how might I get all my image sizes to show EXIF, or at least for the Original size to consistently show EXIF data?
    AmanitaM wrote:
    At least your photos are being stripped of EXIF data in a rational fashion. Mine are not! SmugMug cannot seem to decide. What could be the basis for this? Image size?

Hi, can you link me to some actual photos in question? Gallery links please.

We have never, ever, had exif in -Ti, -Th, -S, -M, or -L sizes. If you have taken one of those, and looked for exif, you'll not find it. We of course, leave your -O in it's original condition. If it had exif in it upon arrival at SmugMug, then the exif is there forever. We make the exif available to all versions, if you enable "camera details" in the gallery settings.

If your Original is 800pixels or smaller, we'll treat that as the Large and the Original (we won't make a -L size) and so the -L there will have exif embedded. And so on.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/prepadv

It's all actually quite rational :D

Oh and sometimes, what further complicates the matter, is how files are saved after post processing on your end - if you use Save For Web, from Photoshop or similar programs, the exif is stripped before it even gets to us.

Does this help?