Keyword problems

joffunjoffun Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
edited April 25, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I am having problems with keywords. I used to use a search box on my site until SM made some changes so that it wouldn't work with my site level password protected site. So I now use keywords instead.......except today when I go into it only some of the photos show up under keywords. I don't know how long it has been like this.

For example when I click on 'daisy' I get only 12 photos when there are at least double that available (I'm not sure exactly how many as I need the keywords to tell me!). It is the same with other names/keywords.

Is this another problem with site level passwords? Please tell me it isn't!

My site is www.boyle.smugmug.com (but of course it is p/w protected)

Is anyone else having these problems?

EDIT: I have just had another look and now 'daisy' doesn't show up as a keyword at all

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2006
    joffun wrote:
    I am having problems with keywords. I used to use a search box on my site until SM made some changes so that it wouldn't work with my site level password protected site. So I now use keywords instead.......except today when I go into it only some of the photos show up under keywords. I don't know how long it has been like this.

For example when I click on 'daisy' I get only 12 photos when there are at least double that available (I'm not sure exactly how many as I need the keywords to tell me!). It is the same with other names/keywords.

EDIT: I have just had another look and now 'daisy' doesn't show up as a keyword at all

Could I have specific gallery links please where these keywords were/are?

You can email to help@smugmug.com - if you wish, with a copy/paste of your post above.
  • joffunjoffun Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Could I have specific gallery links please where these keywords were/are?

You can email to help@smugmug.com - if you wish, with a copy/paste of your post above.

Thanks Andy - I have sent an email as suggested.
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2006
    joffun wrote:

Browsing by keywords doesn't work on passworded sites, passworded galleries, or private galleries.

The fact that it did for awhile was a bug, not a feature, I'm afraid. :(

Sorry!

Don
  • joffunjoffun Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited April 17, 2006
    onethumb wrote:
    Browsing by keywords doesn't work on passworded sites, passworded galleries, or private galleries.

The fact that it did for awhile was a bug, not a feature, I'm afraid. :(

Sorry!

Don

Well this means that I can't consider SM as a long term photo hosting solution for me. Now with only 3000 photos on the site I can pretty much find most photos, but that won't be the case in a few years time when I have lots more photos uploaded.

I am pretty fed up with Smugmug on this issue. I have previously asked questions by email & either had a vague response or none at all (which is very un-Smugmug like). I also raised the problem on dgrin (see http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=248231#post248231) & whilst you said 'searching' wouldn't work you made no mention of 'keywords' not working, despite me making it clear that I would be using keywords in future. As it did work at the time (& this was the direction that SM told me I should go) I then spent hours re-keywording all my photos & galleries. You are now telling me that this was a complete waste of my time.

I am really very unhappy & disappointed about this. Why isn't this mentioned on the password enabling page? It is completely silent on the matter of keywords & searching. I want to keep my site private but do want people who are logged in with the password to be able to use the keywords. It worked for quite a while, so it is possible for it to work & I hope you will look into making it work again. However, from SM's previous responses on this matter I guess you are not interested in solving this as it probably doesn't affect many people.
  • tnierduffytnierduffy Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 25, 2006
    agreed in frustration of keywords
    I agree and am equally frustrated with how the functionality of keywords (and it's limitations if not wanting pictures to be public) is not made clear by SM. I joined then upgraded to a $60/yr fee and have since figured out that I have to either choose to use keywords or expose my pictures out to everyone. Not only that, but even if I do chose to use a password, my understanding is that if there are/were keywords, google can find the pics and make them available anyway.

I now understand the technology reasons to some degree -- but can SM offer those of us thinking that SM was our grand solution and now finding it not meeting our basic requirements any indication of (1) will this ever be addressed and (2) can we get some sort of pro-rated refund if not?

Please help! I thought I had found my dream site to post all of my pictures but the combination of passwords AND keywords is what made it most useful. Thanks in advance...
    Tamara
    joffun wrote:
    Well this means that I can't consider SM as a long term photo hosting solution for me. Now with only 3000 photos on the site I can pretty much find most photos, but that won't be the case in a few years time when I have lots more photos uploaded.

I am pretty fed up with Smugmug on this issue. I have previously asked questions by email & either had a vague response or none at all (which is very un-Smugmug like). I also raised the problem on dgrin (see http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=248231#post248231) & whilst you said 'searching' wouldn't work you made no mention of 'keywords' not working, despite me making it clear that I would be using keywords in future. As it did work at the time (& this was the direction that SM told me I should go) I then spent hours re-keywording all my photos & galleries. You are now telling me that this was a complete waste of my time.

I am really very unhappy & disappointed about this. Why isn't this mentioned on the password enabling page? It is completely silent on the matter of keywords & searching. I want to keep my site private but do want people who are logged in with the password to be able to use the keywords. It worked for quite a while, so it is possible for it to work & I hope you will look into making it work again. However, from SM's previous responses on this matter I guess you are not interested in solving this as it probably doesn't affect many people.