Options

Wedding I shot yesterday.

blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
edited April 21, 2006 in Weddings
As some of you may have read here is the shots from my best friend's wedding yesterday. These are just a sample of the shots.

As always, took with the Canon 20D, Canon 24-70L and Sigma Super 500 flash. All show in RAW, ISO 400 and worked in PS. Comments are really welcomed :)

64811670-L.jpg

64811760-L.jpg

64811825-L.jpg

64811887-L.jpg

64811942-L.jpg

64812009-L.jpg

64812087-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    nateeboy68nateeboy68 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 16, 2006
    Great pic of the white ribbon. I love the clarity and sharpness. I have a question for you. I'm interesting in trying wedding photography. Is it true that a majority of wedding shots tend to be candid ones that are simply seen at the right time from the right place?
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2006
    nateeboy68 wrote:
    Great pic of the white ribbon. I love the clarity and sharpness. I have a question for you. I'm interesting in trying wedding photography. Is it true that a majority of wedding shots tend to be candid ones that are simply seen at the right time from the right place?

thats a question for Shay

nice shot of the ribbon and the others toothumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited April 16, 2006
    nateeboy68 wrote:

Thanks. Only posed shots you see there is the last one. I have some more posed shots, but 90% were candid shots.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,825 moderator
    edited April 16, 2006
    I'm impressed! Exposure looks perfect. Colors look accurate. The flash is not obvious. I think you did a wonderful job.

It looks like a light and bright church and that usually helps. The church I got married in has few windows and a dark brick interior. (The darkness was probably an omen. :): )

I've shot video and still stuff there for the last 25 years and it just sucks up the light.

Anyway, good job. How did the reception go?

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I'm impressed! Exposure looks perfect. Colors look accurate. The flash is not obvious. I think you did a wonderful job.

It looks like a light and bright church and that usually helps. The church I got married in has few windows and a dark brick interior. (The darkness was probably an omen. :): )

I've shot video and still stuff there for the last 25 years and it just sucks up the light.

Anyway, good job. How did the reception go?

ziggy53

Thanks Ziggy. I'm still working on levels in PS as some have said it seems to be just a tad over cooked.

As for the reception, it went well. Still processing them but will post some when I'm done.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2006
    Nice work, especially for first time out!

Watch your skin tones, they're tending towards magenta, and should have more yellow than magenta (for normal skin), also I think that you could deepen your shadows---sometimes it's a matter of setting the black point, and others I think it's a matter of making the shadows part of your curve more horizontal than vertical, making the shadows deeper, and adding a touch more contrast to the rest of the shot. Not true for all of them, but overall.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Nice work, especially for first time out!

Watch your skin tones, they're tending towards magenta, and should have more yellow than magenta (for normal skin), also I think that you could deepen your shadows---sometimes it's a matter of setting the black point, and others I think it's a matter of making the shadows part of your curve more horizontal than vertical, making the shadows deeper, and adding a touch more contrast to the rest of the shot. Not true for all of them, but overall.

Thanks DavidTO, I'll see what I can do when I'm messing around with the levels and see if I can't bring some of these stuff out.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2006
    Thanks DavidTO, I'll see what I can do when I'm messing around with the levels and see if I can't bring some of these stuff out.

What software are you using? CS2? Elements? Other?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    What software are you using? CS2? Elements? Other?

Right now I'm using PS CS
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2006
    Right now I'm using PS CS

Then I think you'd be better off using curves than levels.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Then I think you'd be better off using curves than levels.

I'll look into using the curves then :)
  • Options
    KodachromeKodachrome Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    As some of you may have read here is the shots from my best friend's wedding yesterday. These are just a sample of the shots.

As always, took with the Canon 20D, Canon 24-70L and Sigma Super 500 flash. All show in RAW, ISO 400 and worked in PS. Comments are really welcomed :)

64812009-L.jpg

...great start for your first wedding!

Being digital you have so many options in editing...being able to fix the od thing can make or break an image...wish I had digital when I was still shooting weddings...

The comment on being light and magenta skin tone is dead on.

Every monitor sees images in differant ways...it might look good on your monitor but may not on others...also if you are going to get economy prints done...send a few sample files to the print shop...this way you can see how they interpret your files...usually I tell the print shot to print as found...this way you have complete control. You don't want some lab tech adjusting to suit there eye.

"Oh" I just had to do a little PS...took out the leaning plank between the couple...took out the floor fixture infront of the bride...brought up the black point and added 10 points of yellow...just my .02 worth

wedtest1fix.jpg

...thanks for sharing your work...Tony
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2006
    Kodachrome wrote:
    ...great start for your first wedding!

Being digital you have so many options in editing...being able to fix the od thing can make or break an image...wish I had digital when I was still shooting weddings...

The comment on being light and magenta skin tone is dead on.

Every monitor sees images in differant ways...it might look good on your monitor but may not on others...also if you are going to get economy prints done...send a few sample files to the print shop...this way you can see how they interpret your files...usually I tell the print shot to print as found...this way you have complete control. You don't want some lab tech adjusting to suit there eye.

"Oh" I just had to do a little PS...took out the leaning plank between the couple...took out the floor fixture infront of the bride...brought up the black point and added 10 points of yellow...just my .02 worth

wedtest1fix.jpg

...thanks for sharing your work...Tony

Tony love what you did with that. Care to PM how you went about making it pop like that?
  • Options
    KodachromeKodachrome Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    Tony love what you did with that. Care to PM how you went about making it pop like that?

...most of the pop was done by bringing up the black point.

From raw did you have to do much to samples that you show?

...then the other thing I do to give the photos some dimenion/pop is to use the spray tool set at 5-8% colour burn, set at the largest spray/diameter (for the pic I am working on)...keeping the correction light I can control the build up in the amount of burning..there was about 4 passes around the couple with that tool so the burning in is about 30%...any more and you would start to see photoshop...and I hate that.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    Kodachrome wrote:
    ...most of the pop was done by bringing up the black point.

From raw did you have to do much to samples that you show?

...then the other thing I do to give the photos some dimenion/pop is to use the spray tool set at 5-8% colour burn, set at the largest spray/diameter (for the pic I am working on)...keeping the correction light I can control the build up in the amount of burning..there was about 4 passes around the couple with that tool so the burning in is about 30%...any more and you would start to see photoshop...and I hate that.

Didn't have to do much out of PS. Change the color temp alittle, contrast and some USM is about all I did.