Easter Climbing

mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
edited April 19, 2006 in Sports
This easter break we headed inland about 3 hours for some rock climbing on a beautiful granite outcrop.

First climb of the day nearing the top
64844074-M.jpg

Setting up an abseil line
64847341-M.jpg

Looking out over the salt lake
64849439-M.jpg

Cleaning a few holds before climbing
64850406-M.jpg

I hung out on a rope for the next few shoots
64852673-M.jpg

64854013-M.jpg

64858082-M.jpg

Topping out, almost in silhouette
64860352-M.jpg

Nice colours in the salt lake as the sun sets
64863727-M.jpg

Chilling by the fire after a good days climbing shot at ISO 3200, hand held
64867339-M.jpg

and to capp it off a lightning storm at about 4am, shame i forgot to take the camera off ISO 3200
65005363-M.jpg

64871372-M.jpg

Cheers for looking, comment or critique away.:1drink
May I take your picture?

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2006
    Fantastic mushy...they realy pass on a mood. That silhouette could be darkened to show a black person with a coloured background without too much trouble. A 4am storm...how lucky can you get !
  • mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    Fantastic mushy...they realy pass on a mood. That silhouette could be darkened to show a black person with a coloured background without too much trouble. A 4am storm...how lucky can you get !

Cheers for the comments Humungus I will definitely be doing some work on the silhouette shot and as for the storm, there were 4 storms in view from where we were sitting 2 were distant and two fairly upfront. It was well worth getting up for just to watch.
    May I take your picture?
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2006
    All nice shots, but those storm shots are brilliant!! Love the landscape all lit up!!! thumb.gif
  • ryan_wedemeyerryan_wedemeyer Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    when shooting climbing, as a loose rule, i try to show all four points on the rock. that seems to help tell the story best.

with climbing it's all about finding the best angle to portray the difficulty and beauty of the line.

how fortunate to be present with a camera during such an awesome storm.

cool shots.
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    Sweet shots, and nice lightning too! Good stuff!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited April 19, 2006
    The storm pictures are pretty sweet!

Generally, I like silhouettes but for climbing shots, the silhouette works best
    for me when the climber is topping out (or almost). I'd like to see more color
    too. Your climbers are blending into the rock a bit too much.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • mushymushy Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    The storm pictures are pretty sweet!

Generally, I like silhouettes but for climbing shots, the silhouette works best
    for me when the climber is topping out (or almost). I'd like to see more color
    too. Your climbers are blending into the rock a bit too much.

Ian

Cheers for the comments Ian (and everybody elsethumb.gif ) as for the bright clothing its just something none of these people wear dammit, so yes they do blend in quite well.
    As for the silhouette shots I have played around with a few and am undecided on the best course of action as to how much of the foreground should be silhouetted or just the climber etc etc. I may just throw something towards the whipping post for further ideas me thinks...
    May I take your picture?