Houston Rodeo - a beginners attempt at sports shooting

nosmonosmo Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
edited April 28, 2006 in Sports
So there I was, visiting family in the Houston Metro area and just in time for the Rodeo.
I was hoping to get some of those cool sporting/action photo's the rest of you'se are taking...

Since it was my first time shooting a moving target with not always the best lighting (for my skills anyway)
they came out OK - vacation snaps. Not the sharpness that I was hoping for, but a big learning experience anyhow.

The area was smokey from the fireworks at the start of the Rodeo - some of the shots are a little hazy...
All the shots were done with a Canon 20D and 24-70 lens, Av mode f3.2, AI Servo, JPEG and uhh what else..
ISO 1600 (IIRC) shutter speed varied between 200 & 320

Some cowboys appear to have a laid back attitude...
64634229-L.jpg

Still it did look like hard work at times

64634243-L.jpg

64634247-L.jpg

64634265-L.jpg

Barrel Racing

64635146-L.jpg

64634304-L.jpg

64634309-L.jpg

64635134-L.jpg

Heading and Heeling

64635178-L.jpg

64635179-L.jpg

64635163-L.jpg

64636023-L.jpg

64636025-L.jpg

Quarter Horse Showing - seemed to involve control of the horse and rider form/posture

64636029-L.jpg

64636030-L.jpg

And Posture

[IMG]http:///nosmo.smugmug.com/photos/64636027-L.jpg[/IMG]

Riding High in the Saddle is about to commence...

64636043-L.jpg

A few reassuring words

64636053-L.jpg

64636050-L.jpg

64636060-L.jpg

Some assistance in the dismount

64637039-L.jpg

And there was Bull Riding and gettin' tossed too -

64637069-L.jpg

64637067-L.jpg

Remember the part about reassuring words...?

64637071-L.jpg

They didn't go over too well -

64637075-L.jpg

64637078-L.jpg

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

In addition to more practice following the action, PS skills... what are some additional guidelines, practices
and setups to follow :dunno I read the stickies and links and yet... still wanting more

Thanks for looking,
the rest are at http://nosmo.smugmug.com/

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    Oh baby! A slobberknocker.

64637067-S.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited April 19, 2006
    Great action Steve!
    YeeeeHaaawwww :D

Man-o-man did you capture some nice action here thumb.gifthumb.gif As Sid points out, ya even captured a slobberknocker in mid-slobber.....Laughing.gif Talk about your frozen snot....er...action rolleyes1.gif

I like almost all of these you posted. Some are very good IMO. clap.gif The 2nd set (the ones with the red seats in the BG) look much richer and have better contrast. The first and last ones look a bit flatter.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    Not bad for your first attempt. A little more shutter speed would have been nice. I bet you wish you had more zoom, bigger aperature, image stabilization, a good flash now? ne_nau.gif We all do! rolleyes1.gif Toys, toys, toys!! :D
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    The 4th to last shot is awesome, try adding a tad bit more contrast, i think it would look good. I've shot a rodeo once and it was very fun. Nice photos, keep it up !
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • nosmonosmo Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    YeeeeHaaawwww :D

Man-o-man did you capture some nice action here thumb.gifthumb.gif As Sid points out, ya even captured a slobberknocker in mid-slobber.....Laughing.gif Talk about your frozen snot....er...action rolleyes1.gif

I like almost all of these you posted. Some are very good IMO. clap.gif The 2nd set (the ones with the red seats in the BG) look much richer and have better contrast. The first and last ones look a bit flatter.

Steve
    Thanks Steve - the shots with the red seats was in another arena with different lighting and they do look better. I'm still futzing with them to see if I can improve them.
    Thanks again.
    edited April 20, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    Not bad for your first attempt. A little more shutter speed would have been nice. I bet you wish you had more zoom, bigger aperature, image stabilization, a good flash now? ne_nau.gif We all do! rolleyes1.gif Toys, toys, toys!! :D
    Next time I'm going to shoot on manual!
    As for the bigger zoom, Mrs Nosmo got me a 70-200 f2.8L IS/USM for my birthday thumb.gif
    She's great iloveyou.gif
    edited April 20, 2006
    The 4th to last shot is awesome, try adding a tad bit more contrast, i think it would look good. I've shot a rodeo once and it was very fun. Nice photos, keep it up !
    Thanks illuminati919, I'm still working my way through PS Elements and learning.
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    nosmo wrote:
    Next time I'm going to shoot on manual!
    As for the bigger zoom, Mrs Nosmo got me a 70-200 f2.8L IS/USM for my birthday thumb.gif
    She's great iloveyou.gif

You got a good woman!thumb.gif I love my 70-200L F2.8 IS, and so will youiloveyou.gif
    I'm not sure I'd go manual on your second attempt at a rode...aperature priority may be better. Or, try it both ways...it's not like it's wasting film!
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • SportsShotsSportsShots Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Im going to agree with Jeffro, Im not sure I would try manual yet. I would also agreed with Aperature priority. You might as well take advantage of the 2.8 IS. Make sure you bump you ISO higher too. IF you shoot in RAW you can get a little more light back in post processing as well.

In my experience with sports and action shots, your priorities are peak action and faces. In most of the action shots, you are behind the subject, obviously because of your seats. The other problem with rodeo's you never know which way they are going to turn out of the shoot. I usually get some of the best shots when they are coming right out of the shoots.

It's a great begining though. Stick with it. Make sure you post more as you get them.

Keep up the good work!!!!
    Sports Action Photography
    www.sidelinepictures.com
    edited April 28, 2006
    Im going to agree with Jeffro, Im not sure I would try manual yet. I would also agreed with Aperature priority. You might as well take advantage of the 2.8 IS. Make sure you bump you ISO higher too. IF you shoot in RAW you can get a little more light back in post processing as well.

In my experience with sports and action shots, your priorities are peak action and faces. In most of the action shots, you are behind the subject, obviously because of your seats. The other problem with rodeo's you never know which way they are going to turn out of the shoot. I usually get some of the best shots when they are coming right out of the shoots.

It's a great begining though. Stick with it. Make sure you post more as you get them.

Keep up the good work!!!!
    Thanks for the encouraging words. I shot JPEG because I only had 1 CF card with me! ( 11doh.gif) fixed that brain fade issue...
    Rather than manual I was thinking about using Tv to get a faster shutter speed and less motion blur, as for higher ISO I was concerned about it getting noisy.
    So next time it's RAW, Av and/or Tv, and bring enough CF cards.
    - Thanks again.