D200 or 5D

paulamonepaulamone Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited April 19, 2006 in Cameras
I am looking into buying my first DSLR in the next 2-3 months. I am looking into the D200 or 5D. I have been leaning toward the D200. However, with the $300 Canon rebate and agressive pricing out there, the cost difference is really only a few hundred bucks between the two. Since I have no lens invested, I can go either way.

My interest is mainly portraits, landscape and photojournalism. I will not
be shooting sports nor birds. My research on the 2 cameras tells me that the 5D gives better image quality, while the D200 gives a more pro handling. A couple weeks back, I had a chance to use my friend's D2X for a while. I must say that the D2X is a nice camera. The viewfinder is bright and large. Picture quality is excellant. I suppose the D200 is a smaller and lighter version of the D2X, and the viewfinder on the D200 is about the same. I have not handled a 5D. My understanding is that the viewfinder on the 5D is even bigger; and it has Canon's best high ISO low-light capability.

I would like to hear your experience with the 2 cameras.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    No diff either way if you are starting out from scratch. Both will do an excellent job. I was looking at that very situation & what swayed me towards the canon was simply that the leses were (here in australia) more avail & a good deal cheaper. Thats all that i saw in the argument. If money wasnt the issue then i can assure you i would be shooting now with a nikon. I do also use the canon at higher ISO's as well which is great.
  • MarkM6MarkM6 Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    Question.
    paulamone wrote:
    I am looking into buying my first DSLR in the next 2-3 months. I am looking into the D200 or 5D. I have been leaning toward the D200....

Here we go again...

What is the "the type" of pictures you want to take the most?
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    Steve Sanders (http://www.steves-digicams.com/) recently reviewed the D200 and concluded:

"With the release of the D200, Nikon have climbed to the top of the enthusiast dSLR market. With a host of features typically reserved for professional cameras, 10.2-megapixels of resolution and excellent image quality, Nikon has not only surpassed Canon in the enthusiast market, they have blurred the distinction with their own professional D2X. "

Normally I would say the D200 hands down however with your stated preferences as to what you want to shoot I would say the the full frame 5D would be the bet choice for you.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    From all I've read...

A lot of low light and very high ISO shooting = 5D - most obvious winner according to most professional reviews.

Anything else = D200 (or 5D) - D200 fairs better in many reviews in ergonomics, features available, etc...according to many professional reviews)
    (I.E. - doesn't matter which - photographer takes over at this point, if not taking the camera to it's max capabilities of low light or very high ISO)

Personal preference matters too.
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    Try to find a place to hold them and compare them both in your hands.

I have to say, I am enjoying my Canon (20D), and plan on sticking with the Canon lineup throughout my career. At this point, anyways.
    edited April 18, 2006
    Hmmmm
    Owen wrote:
    Try to find a place to hold them and compare them both in your hands.

I heard that a lot...

But remember that the famous cameras such as the Leica M, Nikon F3HP, or Contax G were no where near as "ergonomic" as today's DSLRs.

Damit... who needs a wood grip on their Glock? :D
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    Try both of them out, then look at the lenses that they offer. I really love Canon's lenses so I went with Canon. Nikons lenses really don't do anything for me. Also, I had been using all Canon P&S cameras before I got the 20D so I was familiar with everything.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    MarkM6 wrote:
    Damit... who needs a wood grip on their Glock? :D

for a Glock 18? that'd be nice. :)

P.S.- i concur with all the above advise... if it was me i would go with the 5D... out of a 30D or D200... i'd go with the D200 hands down.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    The Technical Image Press Assoc. (TIPA) awards just came out and the D200 won the title for "Best D-SLR (Expert)". However, the 5D won the award for "Best D-SLR (Professional)". So take your pick of award winners!

But if you are serious about landscapes, I'm guessing full frame would be good for you. And the 5D's low light superiority may help as well.

You are in the envious position of being right no matter what you choose.:D
  • Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    I own a D200 and a D70. Canon can't beat the ergonomics. Nikon and Canon alike have excellent equipment. You can't go wrong here. With the D200 you get a lot more than you paid for but if high ISO performance is an issue, Canon will be your choice. Both brands produce excellent pictures.

You might consider to review the tests on Dpreview to compare the specs.
    If you into nature like me, the D200 will be a good choice. The essential functions you need during your shooting will be ergonomically in your reach. On the other hand: if you get "the hang" of whatever body, you will find your way anyway.

Not less important is the photographer that holds the body mwink.gif

Dick.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
    edited April 19, 2006
    Low light?
    How low do you want to go? These pictures on the PBase are awesome;
    http://www.pbase.com/peter_964rs/skansen

49365488._G0A407901.jpg

49365482._G0A406101.jpg
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    The Technical Image Press Assoc. (TIPA) awards just came out and the D200 won the title for "Best D-SLR (Expert)". However, the 5D won the award for "Best D-SLR (Professional)". So take your pick of award winners!

But if you are serious about landscapes, I'm guessing full frame would be good for you. And the 5D's low light superiority may help as well.

You are in the envious position of being right no matter what you choose.:D

Wow....I bet Nikon is happy! 3 big awards for them: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0604/06041801tipaawards2006.asp

And I see the lens I bought recently (Sigma 10-20mm) won 'Best Consumer Lens'. Woohoo!