A Mothers Comfort

elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
edited April 19, 2006 in People
Hello friends!

Had a cup of coffiee with my neighbours yesterday in our yard. Our kids were playing together and having fun, but suddenly something happend and Vendela came sobbing, seeking comfort from mom. I quickly and secretly hoisted my cam and snapped a candid. I used the power of the 70-300 to get in real close without interfering! :o)
I guess it's obvious that I gave her mom a little make over, but did I overdo it? Does it look very very unnaturall? :dunno

Regards / Matty

12c65e3df528b3705f5f58fc4cfa74f2.jpg

Here is the original:
(hmm... looking at it again, I wonder if I don't prefer the original?)

aca6bc3d3d8fd274d8f2de5b6e0c7831.jpg

Comments

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    I really like the B&W better but I think you went a little to far with touching up her face. I do like that you got rid of the hairs from in front of her face. This is a really great shot Matty.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited April 18, 2006
    You sure know how to make the most of childhood accidents, Matty. thumb.gif I like the B&W and the toning but yes, I think you overdid it on the cleanup. Her skin looks as smooth as the kid's. Leaving a few signs of wear might make this a stronger image. To me, the disheveled hair adds to the feeling of distress, though I can also see the advantage of eliminating it. I just love the way you got a glimpse of the kid's right eye. Excellent capture. clap.gif

Regards,
  • graflexTomgraflexTom Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    I need to say that I am most taken by the Cleaned up photo. I think that it rocks
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    Matty,
    I like the way the B&W clean up forces me to focus on the Mom's eyes, then pull back and see the whole expression. I would say the blown hair and facial lines would distract from the eyes as a focal point. Her eyes express everything you described about the situation to the point that I really didn't need to read the background.
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    Thank you! Yes, I guess I got a bit carried away in the pp! :): But I guess it depends, if it was taken as a portrait of her, for her, then I wouldn't have touched her up this much. :):

Matty
    gluwater wrote:
    I really like the B&W better but I think you went a little to far with touching up her face. I do like that you got rid of the hairs from in front of her face. This is a really great shot Matty.
    edited April 19, 2006
    Haha! Thank you! Yes, who said accidents isn't fun and great? *Haha* Na, just kidding! I guess you are right about, I did clean her up a little to much, atleast if it's supposed to be a portrait of her.
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    You sure know how to make the most of childhood accidents, Matty. thumb.gif I like the B&W and the toning but yes, I think you overdid it on the cleanup. Her skin looks as smooth as the kid's. Leaving a few signs of wear might make this a stronger image. To me, the disheveled hair adds to the feeling of distress, though I can also see the advantage of eliminating it. I just love the way you got a glimpse of the kid's right eye. Excellent capture. clap.gif

Regards,
    edited April 19, 2006
    Thank you! :): thumb.gif
    graflexTom wrote:
    I need to say that I am most taken by the Cleaned up photo. I think that it rocks
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    It looks lovely and not "very very" unnatural at all. I like that you removed the hair from in front of the mom's face because her eyes are important to the picture. You might want to add in a bit more "character" to her face but, all in all, I like the b&w as is.

Virginia

Email
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    I love the first version, but the eyes don't quite look natural...under them it is completely smooth..I would make the corrections in a layer, then change the opacity just a bit to get some lines there that are expressive, but not aging.