Interesting flower shot....But

ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
edited April 20, 2006 in Holy Macro
Is this cheesy? I love the color and the comp, but then, I am a weird guy, and like weird stuff. :rofl (does anyone else struggle with this?:wxwax)

Also - what the heck flowers are these? :scratch Can someone more knowledgable then I help with identification?

64737412-M.jpg
"There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg

Comments

• StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    It's a Purple Cone Flower. It is also a medicinal plant that is said to boost the immune system. I like your shot. It shows the cone head very sharply. A better composition might have at least one whole flower showing.

http://healing.about.com/od/herbs_az/a/echinacea.htm

As far as weird things... I'm with you there. There is one local auctioneer who gives me a call when he gets "weird" things in. The last item was a glass cane. Now that's weird, who would use a glass cane? It's neat though, looks like a huge icicle. Would make an awesome weapon.:):
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    Those are good subjects. They come in white too :) They're easy to find if you want some...Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Most garden centers should have them.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    Beutifull flowers thanks for sharing we dont have these flowers here
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    Thanks for the kind words, all. And thanks also for help with identification. I'm clueless when it comes to what those things are. ("ooh- bright shiny things!" and all....rolleyes1.gif)
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
    edited April 19, 2006
    Does anyone think the color is over saturated?
  • ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    Maybe a little... but it's ok by me.
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
    edited April 19, 2006
    Looks about right to me. They're even more saturated in real life when they first start to bloom. The color fades as time goes by. I'm sure you'll be seeing some of mine later this year when they bloom! :):
    edited April 19, 2006
    Kind of what I was thinking too, it's very real, very fresh looking.

Someday maybe I'll quit questioning myself headscratch.gif
    edited April 19, 2006
    Kind of what I was thinking too, it's very real, very fresh looking.

Someday maybe I'll quit questioning myself headscratch.gif

One thing I've learned from posting photos and debating on editing, etc, etc...if I like it, I don't care what anyone else thinks! rolleyes1.gif Now, if I had to worry about selling photos, then I'd worry about it. But for now, I take them for my own enjoyment. I haven't quite figured out yet if I now do gardening just to have photo subjects...but lately it seems that way.
  • Lyle CLyle C Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    I personally like the shot. As far as saturation, the green maybe a bit over saturated but not too bad. Its like kygarden states, its what you like that matters!
  • bfishkindbfishkind Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    Nice work! The colors are vibrant and sharp. I like the gently curving line that flows from left to right over the two flowers. Is this from Biltmore?

Beth
    edited April 19, 2006
    bfishkind wrote:
    Nice work! The colors are vibrant and sharp. I like the gently curving line that flows from left to right over the two flowers. Is this from Biltmore?

Beth

Thanks for the kind words :D

The picture was from last year (iirc) taken here. It's funny what you find digging through old files. clap.gif

Btw, I loved your bird pictures. thumb.gif
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    Where's the Butterfly??
    Is this cheesy? I love the color and the comp, but then, I am a weird guy, and like weird stuff. rolleyes1.gif(does anyone else struggle with this?umph.gif)

Also - what the heck flowers are these? headscratch.gif Can someone more knowledgable then I help with identification?

Hahahaha rolleyes1.gif that's about all that is missing.....the Butterfly :D
    I really like those coneflowers, but just about every shot I have seen of them they have a Butterfly sitting on them.

They are odd looking flowers, but those ones you have there are such pretty colours........ Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Hahahaha rolleyes1.gif that's about all that is missing.....the Butterfly :D
    I really like those coneflowers, but just about every shot I have seen of them they have a Butterfly sitting on them.

They are odd looking flowers, but those ones you have there are such pretty colours........ Skippy (Australia)
    The reason why you usually see these flowers with butterflies on them is because most people plant them to attract the butterflies. I was going to do that this spring, but the JOB got in the way again.