Need your opinion: IR shot

Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
edited April 20, 2006 in Holy Macro
Hey, y'all. I shoot an unmodified F717 with Hoya R72 and ND8. I saw this scene through the window in our copy room at work. I've played around with it a little but I can't seem to rid the pic of the noise clutter on the clouds in the lower left region. Does this noise create a distraction for you in the pic? What are your eyes drawn to when you see the image? I'm just trying to see if I am conveying my thoughts visually.
Olympus E-30
IR Modified Sony F717
http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    I See It Too
    Mr. 2H2O wrote:
    Hey, y'all. I shoot an unmodified F717 with Hoya R72 and ND8. I saw this scene through the window in our copy room at work. I've played around with it a little but I can't seem to rid the pic of the noise clutter on the clouds in the lower left region. Does this noise create a distraction for you in the pic? What are your eyes drawn to when you see the image? I'm just trying to see if I am conveying my thoughts visually.

I see what your talking about.........the noise is quite visible in the cloud, have you tried putting it through a noise reduction program ???
    Sometimes that helps, but other times it doesn't make a huge difference?
    Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    I see what your talking about.........the noise is quite visible in the cloud, have you tried putting it through a noise reduction program ???
    Sometimes that helps, but other times it doesn't make a huge difference?
    Skippy (Australia)

Skippy,
    I did unsharpen mask, then noise reduction, then unsharpen mask. It affected the sky and whispy clouds, but interesting to me that it had very little effect on the clouds toward the bottom as well as little effect on the brick wall. If the noise is distracting in the composition, I believe I can blur it since I was hoping to create a visual contrast between the hard scape of a man made structure with the soft visual of a dreamy IR sky.
    Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    My eyes are drawn to the white strip on the brick wall. I dont know if it was intentional but the image is much out of focus. The thought you were trying to convery through the image isnt clear, what we see is an out of focus wall and clouds, no deep thought or meaning really comes out of the image. I think its time for a reshoot ;) Thats my $0.02.
  • nateeboy68nateeboy68 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    I'm a little confuzzled as well, as to what the subject of your picture is. The wall is not straight and it takes up half the picture. if the wall only took 1/3 of the pic perhaps the subject would move to the clouds more, but maybe you want us to look at the wall.....
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    Mr. Peas and Nateeboy68,
    Thanks for your observations. I think the sharpness got away from me in post-processing. And yes, I recently discovered that after 2,000 shots, I am a crooked shooter (but not a crooked guy).

I believe if I have to explain it, then I'm not doing a good job through the lens. Thanks for your valuable input - I really do appreciate you taking time to respond.

My hope was to convey the hardscape geometry of man-made structure in contrast to the soft, free-form of nature seen in the clouds that day. I thought that IR would convey this with the most visual contrast. Basically two kinds of creation juxtaposed.

I'm going to take Mr. Peas advice and look for a day to reshoot with better clouds with sharper focus and Nateeboy68 advice to use thirds for that shoot.
    Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717