XP raw file folder browse software (FREE)

problemchildproblemchild Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited April 19, 2006 in Cameras
MS has a cool not very well known tool. It allows you to browse through folders by thumbnail pics. You see the raw file as a thumbnail.

Its really cool.

I have included the direct link to BYPASS the stupid windows validation BS.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/b/3/bb35c5c1-8059-4bef-83ba-3c44a5c0b2f1/RAWViewerSetup.exe

Comments

• jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    It gives you more than thumbnails. You can actually preview the images fullscreen. But it is slow.....
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited April 18, 2006
    I find the thumbnails useful every now and then. Where are the thumb images stored, once they're generated? Anyone know?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    I find the thumbnails useful every now and then. Where are the thumb images stored, once they're generated? Anyone know?

The thubms are located right in the raw file itself. The raw has a small jpg preview image associated with it if I'm not mistaken.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited April 19, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    The thubms are located right in the raw file itself. The raw has a small jpg preview image associated with it if I'm not mistaken.

No, not those thumbs. The thumbs that are generated by XP for display in Windows Explored / thumbs mode. If I have only JPEGs, MS makes thumbs, which is slow the first time through. Upon a re-look of the folder contents, those thumbs are instantaneous, meaning XP stores them somewhere.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    No, not those thumbs. The thumbs that are generated by XP for display in Windows Explored / thumbs mode. If I have only JPEGs, MS makes thumbs, which is slow the first time through. Upon a re-look of the folder contents, those thumbs are instantaneous, meaning XP stores them somewhere.
    Explorer creates a hidden file called thumbs.db when you view thumbnails. I don't know whether the thumbnails are in this file, as it's rather small.