What happens to my pictures when I cancel an account?

mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
edited April 20, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I am trying to find a good site to archive my photos (as an offsite backup) and a way to share with family and friends. Currently I have a computer in my office at a major university which has unlimited bandwidth but this will end in August. It would also be nice to allow family to order prints directly from the web pictures. I have about 100 GB in photos (Digital Rebel).

Questions:
I can't seem to find that in the FAQs. Maybe I missed it?
(while I am not overly impressed with flickr they state that the pictures stay there but you can't get to them until you renew the paid account)

Suppose I lose everything on my home computer.
Could I batch download all my images? Would that download count against my quota?

Thanks,
Mike
-- Mike

smugmug nickname: mpmcleod
http://www.michaelmcleod.com/

Comments

• bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 19, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:
    I am trying to find a good site to archive my photos (as an offsite backup) and a way to share with family and friends. Currently I have a computer in my office at a major university which has unlimited bandwidth but this will end in August. It would also be nice to allow family to order prints directly from the web pictures. I have about 100 GB in photos (Digital Rebel).

Questions:
    (while I am not overly impressed with flickr they state that the pictures stay there but you can't get to them until you renew the paid account)

Could I batch download all my images? Would that download count against my quota?

Thanks,
    Mike

i'm not sure of SM's policy on when they will purge your old photos after you've cancelled your account, i'm sure Andy will chime in on that, but if you need to get all your images back for some reason, SM offers backup DVD's that you can purchase in cases like that.

Yes you could batch download all of your images using a 3rd party SM tool like star*explorer, but it would count against your download quota.
    Pedal faster
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:

Questions:

Thanks,
    Mike

wave.gif welcome, Mike.

We offer unlimited photo storage - and we will store your photos, and keep them, according to our Terms of Service, as long as you are a paid subscriber. There are options to retrieve your photos - via backups and some of the tricks and hacks available from our members.

If a subscriber let's their service lapse, we go out of our way to try and reach them, to be sure that they no longer wish to have their photos.

I hope this helps!
  • mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    wave.gif welcome, Mike.

We offer unlimited photo storage - and we will store your photos, and keep them, according to our Terms of Service, as long as you are a paid subscriber. There are options to retrieve your photos - via backups and some of the tricks and hacks available from our members.

If a subscriber let's their service lapse, we go out of our way to try and reach them, to be sure that they no longer wish to have their photos.

I hope this helps!

Thanks!

That helps a lot. I will sign up for the trial in the next few days and test it out.

-- Mike
    -- Mike

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    Use this code and save $5: CLGbTHzpo7yxc

(someone had to do it, right?)
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Use this code and save $5: CLGbTHzpo7yxc

(someone had to do it, right?)

That's right... even easier just click here to save $5 mwink.gif
    edited April 19, 2006
    dmc wrote:
    That's right... even easier just click here to save $5 mwink.gif

clap.gif dmc, I like *your* style!!!!!!!!!!
    edited April 20, 2006
    Another question.

I am not sure what nickname I want to use. Can I make one up for the trial and change my nickname at a later time?

thanks,
    Mike
    -- Mike

edited April 20, 2006
    Here is another one.

Could someone clear up the bandwidth issue?

Do uploads count against the overall bandwidth or is it just views?

thanks,
    Mike
    -- Mike

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:
    Here is another one.

Could someone clear up the bandwidth issue?

Do uploads count against the overall bandwidth or is it just views?

thanks,
    Mike
    Hi Mike, as far as i know, it is possible to change your nickname later, but I'm sure Andy can confirm that. Also, your uploads don't count towards your bandwidth, just your views/downloads. Hope this helps.
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 20, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Mike, as far as i know, it is possible to change your nickname later, but I'm sure Andy can confirm that. Also, your uploads don't count towards your bandwidth, just your views/downloads. Hope this helps.

what ivar said.
    Pedal faster
    edited April 20, 2006
    mpmcleod wrote:
    Another question.

I am not sure what nickname I want to use. Can I make one up for the trial and change my nickname at a later time?

thanks,
    Mike

You can change your name ANY time. :D
    Uploads don't count to bandwidth.