Options

**Challenge 23 - Comments by Snapapple**

snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
edited October 21, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
JUDGES COMMENTS: Well folks, I’m not Andy by a long shot. But, since most people want to know, I’ll try to give a reason, as I see it, for not making the final cut. I hope it's not too harsh. Remember, I am only one person and one opinion. It’s a critique of only one shot, and does not reflect on you personally or as a photographer.

Ginger - Life’s Times: This was a very original and creative interpretation of the theme. Definitely on point. A very artistic montage of photographs and well done. If I had to mention a negative, I’d say it was more art than photograph. It came very close to making the cut, but was just edged out by the other entries.

Judyfuess - Old Pennies: A very good idea. It just needed to be carried out a little further. As a photograph, it didn’t engage me. Some more context would have added. Perhaps an old coin purse placed with it’s edge on the diagonal with the pennies next to it, all on an old looking dresser. Some sweet light. You get the idea.

Nadi - Old Timer: Another very good idea for an interpretation of the theme. The background was the biggest problem here. Treated like a macro shot, the background could have been completely blurred out- in color. A little saturation, contrast. Thanks for jumping right in to the challenge. Glad to have you with us.

Aussie Kate - Part Time: Good title for this, but just not enough to engage me. I liked it better in color.

Miketaylor01 - Free Time at FOB Danger: A good catch here. It really tells a story. I just thought it said “alone” to me more than “time”. Could have used some dynamic range. I enjoy your pictures of Iraq, keep on posting.

Photocat - Time to Travel: Composition was a little off here, and some people, travelers would have made it more engaging. Good idea.

RocketMan - Old Timer: An engaging photo. Bright, clear, colorful, an interesting subject. Nicely done. I had it on my list.

Landrum - Effects of Time: A nice abstract. Good composition, well executed, clear and sharp. Very creative take on the theme. The overgrown grass and the rust are spot on. One of my favorites.

Webwizard - Spans of Time: A beautiful landscape. A wall hanger for sure. Just didn’t say “time” to me.

Hoopi - Time from a Technical Viewpoint: This said “motion” to me more than “time”. As a photo, I would have liked to see more context, and not have the windmill directly in the center.

Cmr164 - Ancient Mask of Time: An original idea, with the watch in the eye. Maybe a little gimmicky? Good composition. Could have benefitted from a greater depth of field and maybe a little more contrast. The mask was a little out of focus.

FreeUps - Time for Myself: I think I got this, but I’m not sure if everyone would. Still it doesn’t say “time” when you first look at it. I had to study it for a while. That’s not a bad thing. I can picture myself studying it in a gallery. Very original and creative . A little over the top. Nice sharp black & white. Maybe a bit too much black area at the bottom. Just missed my list by *this* much.

1Clickaway - Watch the Time: A play on words. I see what you were doing here. The seconds passing. A good interpretation of the theme. However, just a straight shot of a watch or clock does not seem very original. Not enough to engage me here.

Sandy - Pieces of Time: More clock faces. Just in straight lines. Not too interesting. Maybe if one of them, in one of the “thirds” places was RED? Sorry, just not enough here to beat out the competition.

Pathfinder - Effect of 60 Seconds vs Two Years: Navy Seals - a tough place to spend two years. I understand that, but where is the composition? Sorry, just not enough to engage my interest.

Gotta - Expired Parking: A great old car. Perfect for the theme. But, it didn’t pull me in. Color, I need color! And contrast. Make it pop. I think maybe if you swung your lens a little to the right the car would be looking into the picture from the left third. You were almost there. Just needed a little more oomph.

Mitchell - Sleepy Time: Nice idea. On point. Execution of that idea? You were close, so close. The light seems too harsh. It doesn’t look like sleepy time. Maybe just light from a lamp would do it. Keep up the good work. It was very close.

Lynnesite - To everything there is a Season: End of summer, yes that’s kind of a time, but the photo doesn’t really say time. Sorry, this didn’t do anything for me. Where’s that beautiful light you usually get where you live? I love your work in general.

Digismile - Time to Rise: What a beautiful sunrise! A very nice image. Doesn’t say “Time” too much though. It was on my short list, but just got edged out by the others.

Ish - Time, Luminosity in Flux: Very good effort. Good work on that light in motion. This doesn’t say “Time” to me as much as “Light” or “Motion”. It’s an interesting picture. A negative? I’d say the large black area kind of bothers me. Close, very close.

The Finalists:

TMLphoto - Story Time: What an engaging image! Nice b&w. Lovely soft light. On point for the theme. It makes me smile and remember when... Congratulations!

Gubbs - The 8:26: Excellent take on the theme. Great composition that draws the viewer in. Nice intense color. Motion, people, the feeling of hurrying. A very engaging image. Congratulations!

Lynnma - Autumn’s Time: A beautiful abstract. Bright, clear and colorful, with so much to look at and keep my eye interested through the whole image. On point for the theme. Would make a beautiful large print.

DJ-S1 - Seize Your Own Time to Shine: A good interpretation of the theme. Very creative. Good composition. Could have been a little crisper.

Ian408 - Decision Time: A very timely take on the theme. (No pun intended) A “street photography” type of photo. Well balanced. Shows a good cross section of the population giving it universal appeal. Could be an ad photo for voter registration.

Johnnydanger - The Future is Ours: Very original interpretation of the theme. Good b&w. Excellent composition. Great textures. A lot to see and think about here. Great find. Great job.

Spockling - Forgotten: Good interpretation of the theme. Excellent b&w with good contrast. Fine composition. A very pleasing image.

HappySnapper - Tea Time: Perfect interpretation of the theme showing both a special time and age. Wonderful contrast of the aged hands and the delicate tea cup. It engages me, makes me wonder about this person. Very fine image. Well done.
"A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
Susan Appel Photography My Blog

Comments

• Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    Hey, thanks for taking the time to write these up. It really helps to see what is liked/ disliked about our images in the voting process as it will definitely help with future shoots in knowing how to better capture the theme whatever it is. Feedback is our number one learning tool and the more we all can get the better. Thanks again.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    Thanks for doing all that Snappy, you did a fantastic job clap.gif
  • Options
    nadinadi Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    Thanks for putting in the time for this. Very, very much appreciated, snapapple. I haven't been around long enough to have seen any of Andy's critiques, but this post is really helpful, not just in getting feedback on my own shot, but also to compare the finalists with those who didn't make it in from another viewpoint.thumb.gif
    The careful man tries to dodge the bullets.... while the happy man takes a walk.
    Mark Oliver Everett
  • Options
    Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    Thanks Snapapple. I appreciate the feedback.

I know both you and andy liked my first shot the best, but thought it was better to stay true to what I inteded to capture in the first place, and post the one I liked!

Thanks for your time - much appreciated!

Enjoying (dgrin photo challenge) photography!

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    nadi wrote:
    Thanks for putting in the time for this. Very, very much appreciated, snapapple. I haven't been around long enough to have seen any of Andy's critiques, but this post is really helpful, not just in getting feedback on my own shot, but also to compare the finalists with those who didn't make it in from another viewpoint.thumb.gif
    Thanks for the feedback snapapple.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    Great write up snappy. It gives me another take on many of the shots. I really really believe that anyone doing filtering had to do this kind of thinking and I thank you for taking the time to write down your thoughts.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    ishish Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    Hey thanks for the kind words!

I appreciate that you took the time to write out your opinion for each photo. My shot was definitely more abstract and I actually had a shot that my friends said would be more universally appealing, but I figured if I start conforming to what I think others will find appealing now then it wouldn't be a good way to get going in photography. ;)

As for the black area, I think it helps the photo when viewed from from a good distance, but up close on the computer screen it did seem too much.

One of these days what my eye sees as "appealing" will match up with the Dgrin public... :)

Congrats to all the finalists, we have a lot of talent roaming in here!

thumb.gif
  • Options
    judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    Great writeup, thanks for the feedback clap.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited October 21, 2004
    Thanks! Appreciate the feedback.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    Thanks Snap, I appreciate your comments.ylsuper.gif
  • Options
    happysnapperhappysnapper Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    Snapple, thanks for taking the time to put all this down. Not only do I appreciate feedback on my own photograph, I have learnt from the feedback on others photos. An invaluable excercise.

Cheers
    Yvette
    :roflhappily snapping
  • Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    Thanks for comments, I was pleased that you had even considered mine. While I liked the way the expression on the old-timer came across I was a little worried about the background clutter of the car and chairs stacked against it. Great job in selecting the entries, I be really nervous having to pick just ten out of all the great entries!

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    Snappy.. I know how hard that was.. thankyou for taking the time and putting so much effort into your comments. Very very well done. thumb.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Lynn