How far can I go with print size?

annann Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited April 20, 2006 in Finishing School
Hi, I read some posts on printing to an 16x20 and you do not have to do anything in ps. What about the max 30x40? How far can I push a 5 meg px jpeg or 6 meg px jpeg and still get a great pic? Thank you

Comments

• Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    ann wrote:
    Hi, I read some posts on printing to an 16x20 and you do not have to do anything in ps. What about the max 30x40? How far can I push a 5 meg px jpeg or 6 meg px jpeg and still get a great pic? Thank you

As far as you want!

Here is some info: http://www.outbackphoto.com/workflow/wf_92/essay.html
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    ann wrote:

One thing to keep in mind is how close are you going to be to the print when you view it? If you want to have your nose two inches away from it then a 30x40 from a 6MP jpeg will look horrible. If it's up on the wall above your fireplace and you're never going to be closer than 10 feet then it would probably look just fine.
  • annann Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    cletus wrote:
    One thing to keep in mind is how close are you going to be to the print when you view it? If you want to have your nose two inches away from it then a 30x40 from a 6MP jpeg will look horrible. If it's up on the wall above your fireplace and you're never going to be closer than 10 feet then it would probably look just fine.

I was wanting to use smugmug for development. I have ordered prints from smugmug and they were very good. I also may want to crop it also. I do have ps and nikon capture. I want the photo to look great up close also. Could I go 20x30? I know I got a photo from a 3.2 meg px in a 11x14 and it looked great. I am pushing more w/a higher meg(5 or 6). Thank you
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    ann wrote:
    I was wanting to use smugmug for development. I have ordered prints from smugmug and they were very good. I also may want to crop it also. I do have ps and nikon capture. I want the photo to look great up close also. Could I go 20x30? I know I got a photo from a 3.2 meg px in a 11x14 and it looked great. I am pushing more w/a higher meg(5 or 6). Thank you

highest i've seen it on smugmug is 24x36... but i suppose anything is possiblethumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    ann wrote:

Ann..here is the link to Genuine Fractals PrintPro 4.1...30 day demo.....it runs out after 30 days or 20 saved files.....

http://www.ononesoftware.com/download.php#download

Here is how I used it to make a 30 x 40 inch print....I wanted the same clarity as if I were looking at an 8 x 10...so I:

1 - Do all PS work EXCEPT SHARPENING...DO NOT SHARPEN THE IMAGE....when all PS work is done then resize the image (in PS) to 8 X 10 (remember to untick resample and to keep constrain porportions ticked....reize by changing the dpi to 300

2- open GF PrintPro

3- resize to 30 x 40

4- depending on the lab you'll use.... you now sharpen your image or let the lab sharpen the image

5- save as a #12 jpg

You are now ready to print.

If your file is dead on in focus and sharp.....you will be able to view at the same distance as an 8 X 10

If you know any one that is a teacher or works for a schoold district they can purchase GF print Pro 4.1 at Academic Superstore for $99.00 for you.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• annann Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    Ann..here is the link to Genuine Fractals PrintPro 4.1...30 day demo.....it runs out after 30 days or 20 saved files.....

http://www.ononesoftware.com/download.php#download

Thank you for the info. I guess I was hoping the lab would be able to do this w/out me buying another program. I appreciate you reference also. I will be able to try it out. Thank you