Options

* Challange 24 - RocketMan looks at *-scapes

RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
edited October 23, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
here are some "*-scapes" taken this past weekend during my little cruise to nowhere out of Norfolk. I didn't do any post processing except for a little on the second to bring a little color to the sky and forth to highten the redish glow of the water and a bit to the sky. Other than that they are untouched by the hand of man. :D I'm finding it to be a greater challange to capture the picture "in the camera" than mess with it after fact.

The first is a marine-scape of a small marina just off starboard as we were getting ready to sail out to the Chesapeake Bay
marine-scape.jpg

The second is a bridge-scape of the Norfolk Harbor taken in late twilight on our departure Sat evening.
bridge-scape.jpg

The thrid is a Ship-scape taken in the wee hours when everyone but a few late party-goers and myself were fast a sleep. The tiny dot to the right of the right radar done (the round things near the bow) is the planet Venus. It was so bright that it cast a faint yet visible glow on the sea like you'd see with a full moon. I have never seen a planet do that before but it isn't often I get out that far on the open ocean on a moonless night.
ship-scape.jpg
(These new ships are HUGE, 900 feet long, 2100 passengers and 1200 crew. And even though this is not the biggest in the line, it still had a nine story autrium in the center with glass elevators, very cool!)

the next is a Crane-scape of the Norfolk Hardor during mid-dawn upon our return Monday
crane-scape.jpg

and finally this a picture of the folks scurring off the ship to catch the busses back to their cars, so i guess you could call this an "ES-scape" HA HA!:rofl
S-scape.jpg

(The last ones just for fun cause I couldn't resisit the oportunity for a good pun!)

RM
http://roadrunes.com
"It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    a great variet clap.gif

i really the crane-scape. why? becuase it's out of the ordinary, got great color and light.
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    Wow!
    Love them. Especially the first one and the "cranescape". Beautiful sky in the first, beautiful colors with the cranes.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    WOW!

And which don't I like? HAHA! They are all great.

Happy times choosing, probably the cranes.......but I like them all.

gclap.gif
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    The cranes for me too.. it's wonderful clap.gif
  • Options
    ishish Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    Wow. These are really quality shots. As I scrolled down I kept saying "THis is definitely the best one...".

But after looking at them all I vote for the Crane shot. I am not just saying it cause Andy and Snappy though, it sucked me in right away. My desktop photo right now is by a favorite photographer of mine and it is of a bridge sillhouetted against a reddish sky like yours.

Awesome stuff! 1drink.gif
  • Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    Well dang! Thanks for all the wonderful comments. It’s especially meaningful to me coming from folks whose work I have admired so much in the pervious challenges!thumb.gif

As Jeanne pointed out last night part of what made the cranescape work so well was the vantage point that it was taken from which was approximately 10 stories up as our cabin was on one of the top most decks of the ship. That put me on nearly the same level as the top of the cranes whereas had I shot it from ground level it would have had more of a vanishing point perspective and the towers of the cranes would not have come out parallel.

I think I’ll have to tie a wide band around my head today to keep it from swelling overmuch HA HA.rolleyes1.gif

Thanks again.

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    Definately the crane shot. The symmetry is kind of interesting.
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2004
    The Cranes! thumb.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 22, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    The Cranes! thumb.gif

I agree with the crowd also
    thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2004
    Love the lighting on the Crane shot!
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2004
    I think the cranes is your best shot, but I would crop the left hand side a bit or clone the rigging in the bottom left hand corner.

Regards,
    Brad