Options

*Challenge 24:Lynn's Landscapes*

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited October 24, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
10129038-L.jpg

10127304-L.jpg

I'm stuck in the forest.... the top one might be too "underwhelming" the bottom one too "busy"
Comments please... I'll probably chuck 'em both...:rofl
or this one...sigh...

10133632-L.jpg

or this one was the first one I put up.. I'm drowning in leaves at this point.. I feel I have to use them tho..

10019369-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    Lynn, I do like the second one, but I am on Sara's monitor, everything is bright, probably more normal than mine. And the beaver thing of yours, on this monitor, looks like it could use a bit more saturation, actually more than a bit. I like it other than that.

But what happened to that shot from this weekend. The bright colors looked great in that one. It was put on a day or two ago, maybe not here, maybe under fall colors. In my book, it would be a landscape. That was my favorite.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2004
    Did you just put up another one? I like the third one best. I love the crazy quilt look of autumn in the eastern mtns, that is only seen from a distance like the third shot.

g
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Did you just put up another one? I like the third one best. I love the crazy quilt look of autumn in the eastern mtns, that is only seen from a distance like the third shot.

g
    thanks hone.. appreciate your comments very much 1drink.gif
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    I like the second one the best. Just something about it grabs my eye. Although I also like the one you just posted to the challenge as well. Just not as much as the second one. The one you posted is kinda a forestscape, while the second one really says traditional landscape type image to me. Great work.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    [img]http:/[/img]10019369-S.jpg

Oh Lynn! So Beautiful! All of them. But, the last one does it for me. The ferns leading me down the path and into the woods. I want to be there. There is no color in Southern California. I'd like to hang a big print of each of these in my house. One in every room. Sigh.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    I like 'em all.

I guess if I had to choose I would pick the 3rd one, but something about the blue in the far mountains is distracting me. It may be natural, but it doesn't quite look natural, to me at least. Know what I mean? Maybe it's just the sharp change between the colors of the bottom 2/3rds. headscratch.gif

Also I find myself wishing the 2nd one was shifted upwards a bit, so you don't see the busy foreground leaves and bubbles but the tops of the trees are in the frame. Just in scrolling the window to "crop" the bottom seems to make it more peaceful.

These are just nitpicks of course, my $.02; they are all better than mine! :D
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2004
    Laughing a bit. Here in the Carolinas, home states, they are called the Blue Ridge Mtns. The blue is an atmosperic thing. Perhaps saturation has intensified it, or perhaps it was a very clear day.

You all come, see our Blue Ridge Mtns.............and they do at this time of year. I actually like them better than the Rockies, and I lived in Denver for 15 yrs, skiing, summer, etc. Beautiful vistas. They are newer, rasher, wilder. The Blue Ridge are older, gentler, wise, love them.

g
  • Options
    ishish Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    I like the composition of the third one the best and the colors of the fourth one.

The fourth one is a little "busy" to me, but the yellows in the lower left do sort of lead the eye so I think it works. :)

Like mike said, the third has those blue mountains, and although they are the "blue ridge" mountains, I wonder what the photo might look like with them toned down a little...

Good work Lynn!
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2004
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it and value your opinions.nod.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2004
    Wow!!!! All of the pictures are great! The Colors are beautiful! My favorite is the 4th one, I like the feel of it the best. We don't get those colors in California!
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    10019369-L.jpg
    Beautiful shots Lynn, all of them! If I had to choose, and it's a difficult choice indeed, this would be the one. Peaceful, quiet ... a path that leads into the forest ...

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    happysnapperhappysnapper Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    Lyn
    I really like these shots too, I like the first one though.... the reason, everytime I look at it I see (well think I do anyway) the water moving, gently flowing!!! It comes alive.

Well done

Yvette
    :roflhappily snapping
  • Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    I'd have to say I like the thrid best of all, not just for the colors but also for the sense of "expansiveness" of the rolling hills/mountains and the feeling of depth from the range upon range of mountains fading into the background, it give one the feeling of going on forever. It reminds me very much of the views of the blue ridge mountains that I have spent so many hours riding and wandering as the countless vistas renew my sense of wonder of the world and all it's beauty.

Wonderful photos all but # 3 is definately my favorite.

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2004
    Is this any better??? I re worked it...

10246814-L.jpg
  • Options
    judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    Hi, you definately brought out more color in the hills (looks great!), but I thinkyou may have lost some of the color in the distant mountains. Is there any way you can merge the mountains from the original with the fall colors of the new one?
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    judyfuess wrote:
    Hi, you definately brought out more color in the hills (looks great!), but I thinkyou may have lost some of the color in the distant mountains. Is there any way you can merge the mountains from the original with the fall colors of the new one?

I agree... I like the contrast of the deep blue mountains in the background.
  • Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2004
    aero-nut wrote:
    I agree... I like the contrast of the deep blue mountains in the background.
    Me three, try to get the blue back in the mountains.

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2004
    You guys are so great... thanks for the input.. I shall go to it :D
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2004
    I may scrap this...
    10207312-L.jpg
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2004
    This is certainly my favorite of the four pictures. I love the rich colours that seem to go on for ever. The sky is the only part I struggle with. That's because I have struggled with the same problems in many a photo of late. Seems to be a problem specific to digital.

I always shoot RAW, usually -1/3 or -2/3 of a stop, and the sky can still lose a lot of detail. Makes me want to go out and buy a ND filter...

So don't scrap this :D

Brad

lynnma wrote:
    I may scrap this...
    10246814-S.jpg
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    Fall...incredible photography Lynn, I'm leaning toward the 3rd shot.
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2004
    Sandy wrote:
    Fall...incredible photography Lynn, I'm leaning toward the 3rd shot.
    thankyou so much Sandy.. I'm scrapping it tho... I'm going with one of these now and can't really decide.. I'm so fickle..ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif
    10294282-L.jpg

10289548-L.jpg
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    thankyou so much Sandy.. I'm scrapping it tho... I'm going with one of these now and can't really decide.. I'm so fickle..ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif

Lynn, I love the colors in all of them but i am not really grabbed by any of them. I wish there was a point of interest... a person or a prominent individual tree... The one vertical shot comes closest as does your very first with the large body of water, but I can't really say for sure what would do it for me.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2004
    I like the one with the ferns, but then I was so wrong in my "Lynn" advice for the last challenge.

I have noticed that fall color shots I have put into the challenge thing are not drawing the complimentary, or any, comments, that the others did.

I wonder how well fall colors are going to work in the Challenge. I know nothing, I can definitely say that.

Any of you have nice weather today? DC reported in by my daughter as bad, same with a friend in Conneticutt (can't spell that word, don't ask).

g
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Lynn, I love the colors in all of them but i am not really grabbed by any of them. I wish there was a point of interest... a person or a prominent individual tree... The one vertical shot comes closest as does your very first with the large body of water, but I can't really say for sure what would do it for me.
    Yep.. thats exactly whats happening to me Charles.. it's not.. happening that is.. I need to get out and reshoot I think.. I may just leave them for this challenge as I'm off to Arizona wednesday so will miss being able to enter more shots I think.. unless I get something in the next day or so...:D
    ps.. thanks Ginger as well.. I'm leaving the fern shot up there unless I find a new shot tomorrow..:D
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2004
    I think the next challenge is going to kill me. I looked, haven't voted, figured I can't do any of them. Will look again.

You know, Lynn, if you lived in the Rockies, and if it were about a month ago (they turn earlier), you would have some spectacular stuff I have not seen here, with the Aspen and all. The smokies aren't "grabbers" imo, though I prefer them.

Hey, one thing I have thought to myself, fences do well on these challenges. If you are "stuck" with fall colors, why not go throw a fence into the mix....I mean a whole new shot, but with a fence and a landscape. Smile.

That is the best idea I have, I just gave it to you. I had thought that I should just, for every challenge, go to the beach and shoot those fences. Fences seem to do good just generally. And fences can be like children, they can change from day to day, etc.

ginger

I have some great dog photos.......... really good: two dogs running, 8 feet off the ground (in the same photo)! (The quality might be questionable, is acceptable to me, will post on a dog thing when I wake up.)