Password protect pricing/ordering only

kapplekapple Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited April 21, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I know that you can password protect an entire gallery where unless you have the password you can not view the photos.

But this is not want I want.
I only want to stop people from being able to see my prices unless I give them a password. I may change different prices to differnt customers but I want everyone to be able to see all the photographs.

Is there any way to allow people to view the photos but in order for them or order/buy/view the pricing they need to put in a password?

thanks,
Apple

SnapApplePhoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    kapple wrote:
    I know that you can password protect an entire gallery where unless you have the password you can not view the photos.

I only want to stop people from being able to see my prices unless I give them a password. I may change different prices to differnt customers but I want everyone to be able to see all the photographs.

Is there any way to allow people to view the photos but in order for them or order/buy/view the pricing they need to put in a password?

thanks,
    Apple

wave.gif Hi Apple, welcome to Dgrin!

No, there's not a way you wish to do this, I'm sorry. Well, I suppose you can have printing=NO in gallery customization, and when you want them to see your prices, you can enable printing - but that's a very manual process.

I wish I had a better answer for you!
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    When all else fails, duplicate galleries to the rescue
    kapple wrote:

thanks,
    Apple

To charge different prices to different customers, you would just upload the photos to two different galleries, set different prices on each, password protect them both and give out the right link/password to each audience. If you want a third gallery where anyone whom you haven't given a password to can view the images, then just make an unpassword protected third gallery copy that doesn't allow print ordering that you give to everyone else.

You have unlimited storage so duplicate galleries doesn't cost you anything if Smugmug doesn't have a better way to solve it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • kapplekapple Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited April 21, 2006
    duplicate albumn
    thanks for the advance - not perfect but it will solve my problem.

One last question - is there a way to duplicate an albumn without having to re-upload it?

Kirsten
    SnapApplePhoto
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    kapple wrote:
    thanks for the advance - not perfect but it will solve my problem.

One last question - is there a way to duplicate an albumn without having to re-upload it?

Kirsten
    SnapApplePhoto

The only way I know of to duplicate a gallery without re-uploading is to use the Make 2nd copy command on each individual photo in the gallery (I only know how to do this one at a time) and then move all the 2nd copies to a different gallery (that you can do all at once). I've not found this worth it for a whole gallery. I just use one of the fancy uploaders and re-upload at some time when I don't need to be using my internet connection (often at night when I'm done on the computer).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question