Video & The Dying Swan at Boston Ballet

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited April 20, 2006 in People
Yesterday, I watched a rehearsal of The Dying Swan at Boston Ballet. The first performance is 4 May. Three dancers are each preparing the role. In addition Trinidad Vives, the ballet's Artistic Associate led the rehearsal.

65399537-L.jpg

Video is integral to preservation and recreation of ballets. At this rehearsal for The Dying Swan the dancers watched a DVD with performances by Anna Pavolva (too melodramatic and antique, besides the silent film was just too fast) and Maya Plisetskaya (those arms!)

65399644-L.jpg
Lorna Feijoo

While watching the video, they perform the motions to commit to memory. It's almost like moving your lips while trying to memorize a poem or song.

65400557-L.jpg
Romi Beppu

I read a little about The Dying Swan after I watched this. Is this a ballet about a woman pretending to be a swan? Not really. It's about death. The dance is named for a poem by Tennyson, which is very morbid in a Victorian sort of way.

65405546-L.jpg

From watching the dancers and from the little I've read about this ballet, I'd say the real challenge here is to interpret this dance in a way which preserves it's real point without being over melodramatic.

65405690-L.jpg

So, even if it isn't about trying to be a swan, making those arms beautiful and fluid, well that has to happen or it won't be about anything.

65405773-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2006
    Cool shots, Rutt!

I love the last one for a dying swan "act".

The Nature Thread would have been funny for these, either that or I need a break.

Thanks for sharing the "world of art" from a different perspective.......with us.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.