Options

Ch. 63 Is this worth pursuing?

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
edited May 1, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
It's supposed to rain here for the next few days, so I have plenty of time to reshoot and refine. I'm just not sure it's going to be worth it. What do you think?

65511679-L.jpg

Suggestions encouraged.

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    I certainly like you idea RS but i would possibly work on lighting it a bit better..ie a B&W with a spotlight on it maybe (i liked your easter stuff) with the guitar held very still i wonder if you could get much movement from the strings.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    I certainly like you idea RS but i would possibly work on lighting it a bit better..ie a B&W with a spotlight on it maybe (i liked your easter stuff) with the guitar held very still i wonder if you could get much movement from the strings.
    Thanks, Gus. You hit on the two biggest problems, lighting and keeping the guitar still while playing it. Guess that's why they call it a challenge. :D I had B&W in the back of my mind for this, but I also think it would be nice to bring out the color in the pearl rosette (that's the inlaid circle around the sound hole). Guess I'll play around with it some more and see what pops out.

Cheers,
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Thanks, Gus. You hit on the two biggest problems, lighting and keeping the guitar still while playing it. Guess that's why they call it a challenge. :D I had B&W in the back of my mind for this, but I also think it would be nice to bring out the color in the pearl rosette (that's the inlaid circle around the sound hole). Guess I'll play around with it some more and see what pops out.

Cheers,

Never any reason to let people know how you took the shot. I would maybe sit it up on an angle on books or something (just brace it somehow) while its being held still get someones hand to play it. It would be a tighter crop though. Just a thought.
  • Options
    twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    great idea - I agree with what has been said already - the only other thing that distracted me was the knee in the bottom right corner - nothing a crop would not fix.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    twinbnj wrote:
    great idea - I agree with what has been said already - the only other thing that distracted me was the knee in the bottom right corner - nothing a crop would not fix.

Thanks, twinbnj. I agree about the knee and will try different ways of framing the shot. If possible, I want to include at least some of the curves of the body's egde.

Cheers,
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 21, 2006
    i like it. the action and movement is good, and the colors of the guitar body are very rich. the only thing I would suggest is to open up a bit more and get more of the curves of the guitar in the shot.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    I really like the idea.....I had just a thought looking at it, a black background, and no hand, just the string vibrating? Just thoughts that came to mind....but I love it just like it is too :D
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 21, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    i like it. the action and movement is good, and the colors of the guitar body are very rich. the only thing I would suggest is to open up a bit more and get more of the curves of the guitar in the shot.

or.... how about tighter? crop out most except the hand, hole and bottom of fret?

>>>SNIP<<<

Sorry, I broke my own rule about manipulating other's photos. Bad Angelo. Bad, Bad Angelo!
  • Options
    twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Thanks, twinbnj. I agree about the knee and will try different ways of framing the shot. If possible, I want to include at least some of the curves of the body's egde.

Cheers,

Yes the curves add to the beauty of the instrument and shot. I think it is a matter of placement of the guitar on the knee to make the knee less pronounced.

Can't wait to see your results!
  • Options
    LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    i agree with what's been said... you might also consider "opening it up" to include some of the fret board (I'd suggest hitting the guitar at an angle) with possible the left hand movement in the frame

edit: ah yes, and be warry of static strings! wether we notice it or not, the viewers will sense the lack of action; you got to hav da good vibrraaation
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • Options
    edited April 21, 2006
    Thanks, everyone, for your encouragement and suggestions. Guess I'll have to go through with it now. lol3.gif . I have tried a few more shots and as I thought, lighting is going to be the biggest problem. The top of the guitar is highly reflective. I don't have any lighting equipment and wouldn't know what to do with it if I did, but it is nice and overcast today so maybe eventually I'll get it right.

Cheers,
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2006
    I think you should def reshoot it ;)

You can always improve photograph just wait for the correct lighting or make your own! What you can also do for your shot is take two shots and embed them into one. The first one being the one with movement and the second with the hand being stationary. Then blend them together. A partially stationary hand would make a good object to focus at other than the guitar. I hope that makes sense. mwink.gif
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    i did the almost exact same shot the other day when i was bored with my guitar... but i could never keep the guitar still enough... good jobthumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    THE TOOTHTHE TOOTH Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    I was actually messing with guitar string movement. It's a hard thing to capture (for me at least). I would suggest really detuning the guitar down, so the strings are loose and can move a lot more. I had mine tuned, and really strung them, and was not getting a lot of movement.
    You can't handle THE TOOTH!!!
  • Options
    nalvareznalvarez Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2006
    I think showing more guitar, perhaps more of the arm movement and upper body as well would make this an even nicer shot and out it more in context.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2006
    nalvarez wrote:
    I think showing more guitar, perhaps more of the arm movement and upper body as well would make this an even nicer shot and out it more in context.
    Thanks for the suggestion, Naz. In the end, I decided to go in closer. It would have been hard to get the person to stay still enough to avoid blur. I confess that I sort of lost heart after I saw Dave's submission, but I hope you like this one anyway.

Oh, and BTW, I used a normal D tuning, which I like to play.

Cheers,
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    I love the version of the photo you entered. Good luck!!

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2006
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I love the version of the photo you entered. Good luck!!

Virginia

Thanks, Virginia.

Cheers,