Options

the curse is reversed

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited October 23, 2004 in Holy Macro
ever since the boston red sox traded babe ruth to the new york yankees, the red sox haven't wont the world series. it's referred to in baseball as "the curse of the bambino."

well, last night, i went to game 7 with friend and fine photographer jim fuglestad. ... the deciding game in this years american league championship series, game 7 between the boston red sox and the new york yankess ... in "house that ruth built" :)

all shots with my canon 20d, and a variety of glass .. 70-200, 16-35, 35 f/1.4

boston fans were in abundance!
10164939-L.jpg

here's jim ...
10164945-L.jpg

but there were plenty of yankee fans, of course :)
10164942-L.jpg

10164950-L.jpg

we were there early enough to take a walk through "monument park" which is where they have the retired numbers, and plaques, recognizing all of the great yankees throughout histroy....
10164947-L.jpg

10164948-L.jpg

well, to sum up the night, it wasn't great for the yankees or their fans, as they prevailed and now will advance to the world series, and try to win for the first time in 86 years... it seems that "the curse has been reversed..."

10186237-L.jpg

i had a great time meeting jim in person, and we had a blast shooting together, and enjoying the game.

enjoy (secretly rooting for the underdog) photography,

Comments

• Options
    52Caddy52Caddy Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    Great shots you lucky dog!
    You know what the new baseball curse is?
    The Curse of A-Rod!

A-Rod leaves the M's for the Rangers. The following year the M's tie the major league record for the most wins in a season.

A-Rod leaves the Rangers for the Yanks and the Rangers completely turn around the following year and narrowly miss the playoffs.

Now, he joins the yanks and they have one of the biggest chokes ever!
    Oh well.
    Back to some photos...
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    10164935-S.jpg

great shot andy!! clap.gif
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    Hi, my name is Dave and I am a Red Sox fan. Perhaps you noticed my avatar...

Anyway, I started watching baseball when I was 10, which happened to be 1975. The Red Sox lost the World Series to the Reds in 7 games. I cried. :cry

I was a fan in 1978 when the Sox lost a huge lead in the standings and allowed the Yankees to tie them for the division title. I watched Bucky Dent hit a harmless pop fly to left, and watched it keep on carrying over the left field wall... the Sox lost. I didn't cry, but I wanted to.

I was a fan in 1986 when the Sox were one out away from winning the World Series, but instead lost to the Mets, again in 7 games. I didn't cry, though it would have been understandable if I had.

I was a fan in 2003 when the Sox were 4 outs away from beating the Yankees in Yankee Stadium in Game 7 of the Championship Series. And they lost in extra innings. I didn't cry, though it would have been understandable if I had.

I was a fan last night when the Sox came from 3 games down to finally beat the Yankees in Yankee Stadium in Game 7 of the Championship Series. I didn't cry, though it would have been understandable if I had.

And if they lose this World Series, so be it. I will still be a fan. And who knows, if they win it... maybe then I'll cry like I did when I was 10 years old.

If you have more photos, Andy, bring 'em on. This was a historic event, something that no team in 100+ years of baseball has ever done, and you were there to witness it in person!
  • Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    Andy, great shots!

I haven't been at a baseball game since about 1975 in Wrigley Field as a Chicago Cubs fan. Baseball isn't played in Israel at all. How are the Cubs doing these days?
    But I haven't really missed going to baseball until seeing these shots - they definetely catch the atmosphere!
    Thank you for a reminder of something dear and important from my childhood!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    Go BoSox! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    andy wrote:
    ever since the boston red sox traded babe ruth to the new york yankees, the red sox haven't made it to the world series. it's referred to in baseball as "the curse of the bambino."

well, last night, i went to game 7 with friend and fine photographer jim fuglestad. ... the deciding game in this years american league championship series, game 7 between the boston red sox and the new york yankess ... in "house that ruth built" :)

all shots with my canon 20d, and a variety of glass .. 70-200, 16-35, 35 f/1.4

boston fans were in abundance!

here's jim ...

but there were plenty of yankee fans, of course :)

we were there early enough to take a walk through "monument park" which is where they have the retired numbers, and plaques, recognizing all of the great yankees throughout histroy....

well, to sum up the night, it wasn't great for the yankees or their fans, as they prevailed and now will advance to the world series, and try to win for the first time in 86 years... it seems that "the curse has been reversed..."

i had a great time meeting jim in person, and we had a blast shooting together, and enjoying the game.

enjoy (secretly rooting for the underdog) photography,
    All great shots Andy.. this is my fav tho..clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    10164935-S.jpg
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    yea yea yea... Boston Rules!!!!
  • Options
    Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    Hey Andy,

This game just made the news here in Australia. They were making some anology between the RedSox making the finals and Kerry winning your election?

Anyway, thought i'ld let you know that you were at a game that made world wide news!

Well done on the pics too, they are, as always, wonderful! bowdown.gif

:D

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    thanks merc, gubbs, and dj-s1!
    it was a fun night lol3.gif
  • Options
    shootershooter Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2004
    The curse of the Bambino has prevented the Bosox from winning a World Series, not getting to one, which they have done since 1918. Should they defeat St Louis, then you can lay claim to the curse having been lifted! It should be a good series!!!:D Great shots Andy, would love to see more!
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2004
    "The curse" was made up by a writer in the 80's trying to sell books. umph.gif

We still haven't won a championship since 1918, and the job is not done. I think the Cardinals will be very tough to beat.

But hanging the worst collapse in MLB playoff history on the Yanks in NY is still pretty sweet. This is a wallpaper I threw together for some friends of mine from photos posted online.

10207401-M.jpg
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2004
    This was the most emotional sequence of events in sports I have ever seen. I cried at the end of game 7. I'm 250LBS, burly, hairy and I still shed a tear. They deserved it.

Curse or not, the world series is just gravy now. The biggest win for Boston fans and Boston players was the taking back of the ALCS from the evil empire. Not only from 3 games down, but in the Bronx. It gets no better than that. The greatest rivalry in professional sports history was decided this week by the underdogs, the ones that everyone other than a Sox fan counted out, the best team in American League baseball is the Boston Red Sox, ALCS Champs! Bring on the red birds, but remember, we've had our fun already, win or lose, we still took 4 out of 7 from the New York Yankees. That is the series that everyone will remember for the rest of their lives.

Below is a link to one of the best articles I've read to date about that series, do yourself a favor, even if you're not a Boston fan, read this. A true fan of baseball will be touched by this...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/041021
  • Options
    edited October 22, 2004
    I've been reading his columns all year, and he expresses what being a Sox fan feels like better than anyone. clap.gif
  • Options
    happysnapperhappysnapper Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited October 22, 2004
    here's jim ...
    10164945-L.jpg

Andy, great shots, capturing a whole evening.. I really like this one, love the light on his face...
    Looks like you had a super nightthumb.gif
    Yvette
    :roflhappily snapping
  • Options
    shootershooter Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited October 23, 2004
    The wallpaper looks good, Dave! They did a great job and I'm sure we're all looking forward to a good series. Lets hope St Louis does not take their third series from Boston! Good luck to your team, and enjoy the games!!