Sensor Matrix/Filter patterns

luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
edited April 24, 2006 in Cameras
Hi All,

I need information on the actual sensor matrix patterns used by modern high-end cameras. (I.e. the arrangements of red, green, blue (and cyan) filters on the sensor)

I know I've seen these around, but can't now find this links, is there any chance someone can point me to the appropiate location.

I'm looking for

Canon 300D, 350D, 20D, 30D, 1D Mk II, 1Ds Mk II
Sony F828, R1
Nikon D50, D70, D200

(Answers for any of the above would be appreciated)

Any assistence would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Luke

Comments

• ARCer63ARCer63 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited April 24, 2006
    I think that www.dpreview.com has all of this information on all those cameras but im not sure. You may need to go searching a bit into some of the reviews I was looking at the review for the 5D and it was on the 12th page.

I dont know if they have the information for all of those cameras. I couldnt find it for the R1.
  • LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    DPReview lists it as a specification on their camera pages. On the main menu, select Cameras, and the manufacturer. Then find your model and scroll down to Colour Filter Array. The Sony R1 is a RGB camera, as specified here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Sony/sony_dscr1.asp.

As a quick answer to your question, all of the cameras you asked about (not that I checked them individually, but this is from memory and spot checking :D) are RGB save for the F828 which is RGBE.

As a general rule of thumb almost all cameras are RGB arrayed with twice as many green pixels (GRGB as it says if you click on the help question mark icon next to the item in the camera specs), save for (recently) the Sony F828 which was RGBE (emerald), and a smattering of CMYK cameras (especially older Nikon ones).
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    LuckyBob wrote:
    As a general rule of thumb almost all cameras are RGB arrayed with twice as many green pixels (GRGB as it says if you click on the help question mark icon next to the item in the camera specs), save for (recently) the Sony F828 which was RGBE (emerald), and a smattering of CMYK cameras (especially older Nikon ones).

Thanks.

Yes, they all seem to use the same basic layout pattern. Exceptions being:

F828, RGBE, I have that pattern now
    Sony's ClearVid or whatever they call it which uses a rotated sensor grid
    Fuji, who use wierd sensors. SuperCCD and SuperCCD SR

The rest all seem to use the same

RGR
    GBG
    RGR

matrix.

All well, makes writing the interpolation algorithms easier, if a little less interesting.

Cheers,

Luke