Options

Here's what you can find slumming in pawn shops.

JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
edited April 25, 2006 in Cameras
Found this beauty sitting there on the shelf. Bought it for $150. :clap

D20_1019.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    Very nice. The only pawn shop that I know of near me never has anything good. And if there is something that I see that I like, it's way overpriced :cry
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    Good snag John... Yep, it's really surprising what you can find there. I got my first MF 50/1.4 for $25 from a Pawn. But, my best find was a MF Tamron 300/2.8 that was just under 2 bills...

Keep your eyes open man. They're out there, if you watch for them!!!
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    Red Bull wrote:
    The only pawn shop that I know of near me never has anything good. And if there is something that I see that I like, it's way overpriced :cry

Me also...they ask more than original price. So much absolute rubbish but its 'moth to the flame' with me. One day i will find a 200 f/2.8 L prime for $300.
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    JohnR wrote:
    Found this beauty sitting there on the shelf. Bought it for $150. clap.gif

SHeeeyit. Nice find.

I got about 100$ worth of stuff for 15$ today at a pawn shop for a project i'm working on.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    I've had luck at our local pawn shops and Good Will. Never with photography gear for myself. I picked up a 300mm MF Minolta lens for my dad for $25. :D I also picked up a $350 bike for $35 :D:D and a $200 vacuum for $15..but no "L" lenses or 1D MK II bodies. :cry

Nice snatch on the Nikkor lens.
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    oldbmwoldbmw Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    I always stop at pawn shops and Goodwill just to look. The best I found was Mamiya rangefinder at Goodwill for $3.00.
    Chris Jennings
    chrisjennings.smugmug.com

Use coupon 6bPSMkMYrhpVE to save $5.00 on a new smugmug account
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2006
    oldbmw wrote:
    I always stop at pawn shops and Goodwill just to look. The best I found was Mamiya rangefinder at Goodwill for $3.00.

Dayyyum. Nice!

I'm hoping someday to get myself a medium format from some hapless person that doesn't know what they have.
    - Scott
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    I also often stop at thrift shops but I still haven't gotten lucky.ne_nau.gif

I also try swap meets.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    controldcontrold Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    I don't speak from direct experience here - but I would imagine that, much like bicycles, the good deals on photography gear at pawn shops are not someone cluelessly dropping off an expensive lens for nothing, it's stolen merchandise being pawned to buy another couple bottles of cheap scotch.

Just my $0.02.

- Mike
    http://mikeapted.smugmug.com/

Canon 30D | 10D
    Canon 10-22 | 28-135 f3.5-5.6 | 70-200 f4L | 100-400 f4-5.6L
    Canon Speedlight 580EX
    Kenko Extension Tubes
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Where did you say that pawn shop was?

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    John you are quite lucky. The only pawn shop around here tha has decent glass sells everything through ebay only and not cheaply. They like the fact that ebay will buy used glass at retail+10% if its popular glass :(

Congrats on your find.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    This pawnshop got it along with a Nikon film camera. They said that they normally don't take lenses.
  • Options
    edited April 24, 2006
    controld wrote:
    I don't speak from direct experience here - but I would imagine that, much like bicycles, the good deals on photography gear at pawn shops are not someone cluelessly dropping off an expensive lens for nothing, it's stolen merchandise being pawned to buy another couple bottles of cheap scotch.

Just my $0.02.

- Mike

I disagree. It's usually people down on their luck (credit card debt, etc...), getting shafted by the pawn stores, not knowing there's legit places they could sell their old gear, usually handed down from parents, or bought as gifts so they don't know the value.

Also, estate sales.
    - Scott
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    I disagree. It's usually people down on their luck (credit card debt, etc...), getting shafted by the pawn stores, not knowing there's legit places they could sell their old gear, usually handed down from parents, or bought as gifts so they don't know the value.

Also, estate sales.
    And, one mans trash is another mans treasure. But, sometimes these people are not computer savvy... don't even own a computer or they have no other means to offload this gear and it enters the marketplace from many different sources. Flea markets... Garage sales... I even bought a lens at a farmers market of all places. Just keep your eyes open, and make sure you can follow up on it down the road... if you need to research the item.

But, just keep your eyes open people. BTW, I did find a couple collector film cameras recently... both Nikon. A FM2t and a FM2 Millennium 2000 Commemorative Model. And they were worth every dime I spent. These were found on CraigsList in Portland. I drove down and snagged them up. You never know what corner you'll round that has a gem hiding nearby.