Portrait in Gomantong cave, Malaysia

Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
edited April 26, 2006 in People
Tell me what you think ...:):
All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook

Comments

• JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Nice exposure. Very interesting shot, every time I look I see more.

Good job!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    JimM wrote:
    Nice exposure. Very interesting shot, every time I look I see more.

Good job!
    Jim,
    The place was very difficult... It is a cave, low light, 3200 ISO f/2.8 1/30 in the limit of handheld ...
    Only with a lens like the 16-35 f/2.8 (or one like the new one from Canon 24-105 f/4.0 with IS ? ) this is possible.
    I had sustained my breath and took 5 or 6 shots.
    In the cave these people get the nests from a bird which I do not know the name now and I have no time to search for (now), climbing throught bamboo scarfolds endangering their lives...
    The nests are sold in Japan at huge prices cooked in soop.
    I wanted to taste but it was not available...:D
    In his hand he holds an egg and a nest.
    I am sorry the light in his head is not ON. I only remember it at home ! ne_nau.gif
    The smell in the cave is kind of disgusting and agressive: the mixture of the excrements of the birds from many years ... like amoniac ! There is villages of cocroaches also. Interesting.
    Excrements may fall on your head !
    Soon I will post more pictures of this cave taken under similar circunstances.
    Thank you for the comment and regards.
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Well I am even more impressed with the exposure now. Got the love the low light capabilities of Canon!!!

Great shot. Even more interesting with the story behind it. Thanks for sharing!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • jrollinsjrollins Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Jim,
    The place was very difficult... It is a cave, low light, 3200 ISO f/2.8 1/30 in the limit of handheld ...

Very impressive indeed!!
    Canon 20D with Grip
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    edited April 26, 2006
    jrollins wrote:
    Very impressive indeed!!
    Thank you. thumb.gif
    Regards
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 26, 2006
    Antonio,

This is a great image. I do wish there was a little more contrast between the subject and the background, but it doesn't diminish from the shot and your story.

The expression and composure of the subject are about perfect for the circumstances. The expression alone makes you want to know more.

Good stuff,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited April 26, 2006
    Jim,
    Only with a lens like the 16-35 f/2.8 (or one like the new one from Canon 24-105 f/4.0 with IS ? ) this is possible.
    I had sustained my breath and took 5 or 6 shots.
    In the cave these people get the nests from a bird which I do not know the name now and I have no time to search for (now), climbing throught bamboo scarfolds endangering their lives...
    The nests are sold in Japan at huge prices cooked in soop.
    I wanted to taste but it was not available...:D
    In his hand he holds an egg and a nest.
    I am sorry the light in his head is not ON. I only remember it at home ! ne_nau.gif
    The smell in the cave is kind of disgusting and agressive: the mixture of the excrements of the birds from many years ... like amoniac ! There is villages of cocroaches also. Interesting.
    Excrements may fall on your head !
    Soon I will post more pictures of this cave taken under similar circunstances.
    Thank you for the comment and regards.
    The name of the bird: Swallow. I knew it already but could not remember this afternoon...
    edited April 26, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Antonio,

This is a great image. I do wish there was a little more contrast between the subject and the background, but it doesn't diminish from the shot and your story.

The expression and composure of the subject are about perfect for the circumstances. The expression alone makes you want to know more.

Good stuff,

ziggy53
    Excellent compriment to my photo.
    Tank you.thumb.gif
    Regards.
    Here is a photo "shaked" (which is the right word for this ? ) of the cavern.
    1/4 s handheld ! The impossible task. No breading, arms close to the body, legs opened: not a good result !. It worth for the content.
    edited April 26, 2006
    The scale was missing ...
    Three photos merged.