Anyone use LightZone for Raw to Jpg Conversion

pchrpchr Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited April 22, 2006 in Finishing School
I just found out that LightZone is free for Linux, I've loaded it up and started playing with it. I'm not particularly experienced with Raw to Jpg conversion anyway, but this software (Which is available for Windows/Mac but at a cost) seems pretty good, though when I load up a Raw image (from my 350D) it automatically adds a layer called RAW Tone Map. This seems to effectively turn up the brightness and lose contrast at the top. I find using the slider at the bottom of this tool can turn this down a bit and somewhere in the middle seems to usually look quite good.

Has anyone else played with LightZone for Raw conversion (Whatever you OS)?

Does what I just said - er wrote - match what other people witness and has anyone got an opinion if this software is worth sticking with.

I have downloaded Raw Shooter essentials, but have to boot to windows to use it which ticks me off slightly, has anyone used both and in your opinion should I stick with lightZone or dump it for Raw Shooter?

My only other niggle is that exported jpgs don't contain any EXIF data - is that right or is that a treat for Linux tight asses?

Cheers.
Keep Kickin'
soft72