Options

Lightsphere II believer

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited August 31, 2006 in Accessories
I resisted, but finally caved in a purchased a Lighsphere after hearing the virtues here and talking to a pro using it during a Bat Mitzvah last week.
This thing actually works. Here is an untouched shot right out of the box in my kitchen. I really like the soft, difuse light.

65707021-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    i totally agree
    Mitchell wrote:
    I resisted, but finally caved in a purchased a Lighsphere after hearing the virtues here and talking to a pro using it during a Bat Mitzvah last week.
    This thing actually works. Here is an untouched shot right out of the box in my kitchen. I really like the soft, difuse light.

I totally agree. I love my lightsphere! -Trish
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    Nice results, Mitch. I just checked it out...had not heard of it before. Kind of bizarre-looking attachment, but really works pretty well!!!
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Nice results, Mitch. I just checked it out...had not heard of it before. Kind of bizarre-looking attachment, but really works pretty well!!!

The reason I resisted the purchase so long is because of the dopey appearance of this thing. Basically a big piece of tupperware on top of your flash. I look dopey enough with my big camera (D2X) and large piece of glass.eek7.gif At least this thing really works.
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    Gary Fong's Lightsphere works very well thumb.gif and at $50 is priced right if you are going to use it a lot...

... but I simply cut qt/2qt, translucent plastic milk jugs (or similar) to snugly fit over my flash when I need diffusion on my external/hotshoe flash(es). Old Tupperware storage bowls work well, too. I've used this method for well over 25 years, starting with my old Vivitar 283. Looks funny, works well!

I have, on occasion, used a tip another person passed on to me when working with the camera's built-in flash and I need diffusion: cut out the bottom of a plastic milk jug (a translucent binder/folder cover, tupperware cover, or a #10 snap-on translucent coffee can lid works just as well), then cut a hole in it to snugly poke your lens through. Make sure the plastic extends above the built-in flash. Does a great job of diffusing the light without taping anything to the built-in flash itself (risking potential damage). Hey, it's cheap but it works.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    I'm another one who avoids it because of its goofy appearance. But from what I've seen, the results are consistently good.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    All you people who are only being held up by esthetics.............well, I would love one!!!!

Am salivating!

So, buy and send. I will let you know how many people say I look "goofy".:D

ginger (I have the ad from Rangefinder Magazine, if you don't know where to get one, I can help you with that. I will send my address, too.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    Most people think I goofy even without the lightsphere on...so whats the diff ne_nau.gif

Nice shot looks good

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    Welcome to the LS club Mitch. I even use mine for macro work!
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    I love my LightSphere.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    Which one did you buy, Mitch....the clear or the diffused???
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Which one did you buy, Mitch....the clear or the diffused???

It is the diffused model.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    It is the diffused model.

Can you still buy that? Last I looked, it seemed like the PJ version was the only one available...I'll have to look again...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    I've heard the Lightsphere makes remarkable results compared to straight or bounce-flash. I'd like to try it, but I guess it's only gonna work on a tilt-flash, such as a Canon 580EX and similar models. Are there any affordable, budget type flashes that tilt and that the Lightsphere can also attatch to? I'd like to buy a LS II-D, but no point buying one now if all it will work on is a $400 flash.11doh.gif
    http://mostamazingprophecies.com

My Gear
    Camera: Nikon D50
    Lens: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC
    Flash: Nikon SB600 SpeedLight
    Vertical Powergrip: Opteka Platinum Series
    Flash Diffuser: Lightsphere II (Clear)

Teleconverter: Quantaray 2x
    Lens Filters: 2 SunPak UV 58mm

Card: Lexar Platinum II 512mb/60x
    Bag: Canon 200DG

Printer: Canon PIXMA iP6700D

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Can you still buy that? Last I looked, it seemed like the PJ version was the only one available...I'll have to look again...

David,
    That's a good question. I don't know if this one is still available. I picked it up over at FM. I think my model lightsphere has been replaced.
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    The reason I resisted the purchase so long is because of the dopey appearance of this thing. Basically a big piece of tupperware on top of your flash. I look dopey enough with my big camera (D2X) and large piece of glass.eek7.gif At least this thing really works.

That's why I made mine out of a plastic bottle. Since it already looks dopey, I don't have to tell someone that I paid 50$ for a piece of plastic, I tell them I made it myself instead.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    I've heard the Lightsphere makes remarkable results compared to straight or bounce-flash. I'd like to try it, but I guess it's only gonna work on a tilt-flash, such as a Canon 580EX and similar models. Are there any affordable, budget type flashes that tilt and that the Lightsphere can also attatch to? I'd like to buy a LS II-D, but no point buying one now if all it will work on is a $400 flash.11doh.gif
    You might start by seeing what models he makes the LS for, and then price shop for those flashes. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 23, 2006
    Zoom,

The LS II will work on a basic flash. It works great in both bounce and direct modes.

That said. I have the P3 version which fit my Minolta flash. It is too big for my SB800. So if anyone is interested in it please let me know. I need to order the P1 version to fit the SB800.

ETA: The Lightsphere P1 has been sold. Sorry, forgot to come back here and let others know.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    There seems to be 2 models on his site as of this morning.

http://store.garyfonginc.com/liiido.html
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited April 23, 2006
    It also works nicely to soften a fill flash. This was a tough one from today with bright sun in the background. The lightsphere softened the fill flash nicely.

65876407-L.jpg
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    I got am email today for a new version of the lightsphere. The new version is called the Lightsphere II cloud. The sphere has an opaque colouring to create a softer light etc.

Stan
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2006
    I tell ya. That Gary Fong is one wealthy entrepeneur. You seen pictures of his boat? Oy. But I love my lightsphere. Worth it, IMO.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited April 23, 2006
    Lighting looks great. Might have to think about one of those one day.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    Gala with the Lightsphere II
    I just shot a fancy Gala this weekend using the Lightsphere II. It really does a good job of softening the light. I've been experimenting with lots of flash diffusers and I keep coming back to this one.

Here's a gallery were most of the shots are with the Lightsphere II:

http://www.trishtunney.com/gallery/1349455

66168625-M.jpg

Everything is LS except the dance shots and stage shots, which I use direct flash.

66172254-M.jpg

cheers!
    Trish
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Stan wrote:
    I got am email today for a new version of the lightsphere. The new version is called the Lightsphere II cloud. The sphere has an opaque colouring to create a softer light etc.

Stan

Hi, ginger here. I sold a photo, YEAH. Actually a nice guy paid me AFTER he lifted the photo from my gallery. Contacted me and paid me. An honest man for Diogenes.

50.00, he paid me. I want to use it to buy a Gary Fong thing. He is out of whatever he says is best. I went to another site I found by this "search" machine of yours. It has two models: clear and cloud.

Which one do I want????

You all know that I rarely use flash, but maybe I would use it more.....who knows, especially if I buy the correct one of these. Which one would you all recommend. My shooting is casual and for fill. (church baptisms, family get to gethers, just stuff where I need a flash........plus maybe I should be using it with the birds when it is "night".)

Please, suggestions??? They are called "Clear" and "Cloud Photojournalist". They are about 10.00 more than buying from Gary fong.

It is here:
    http://upacreekPHOTOGRAPHY.smugmug.com/photos/68323612-L.jpg

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Hi, ginger here. I sold a photo, YEAH. Actually a nice guy paid me AFTER he lifted the photo from my gallery. Contacted me and paid me. An honest man for Diogenes.

50.00, he paid me. I want to use it to buy a Gary Fong thing. He is out of whatever he says is best. I went to another site I found by this "search" machine of yours. It has two models: clear and cloud.

Which one do I want????

You all know that I rarely use flash, but maybe I would use it more.....who knows, especially if I buy the correct one of these. Which one would you all recommend. My shooting is casual and for fill. (church baptisms, family get to gethers, just stuff where I need a flash........plus maybe I should be using it with the birds when it is "night".)

Please, suggestions??? They are called "Clear" and "Cloud Photojournalist". They are about 10.00 more than buying from Gary fong.

It is here:
    http://upacreekPHOTOGRAPHY.smugmug.com/photos/68323612-L.jpg

ginger

Ginger,
    Most people I run across seem to prefer the cloud models of the Lightsphere. I have one of this type. It produces a softer, more diffuse effect, but does cost you some light.
  • Options
    JnicholsJnichols Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    I too love my lightsphere - but EVERYTIME I use it - I always get the "hey is that tupperware on your flash" or "what is that dumb looking thing good for"... it's starting to get on my nerves! But hey - I still love it and will continue using it!
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    Ginger,
    Most people I run across seem to prefer the cloud models of the Lightsphere. I have one of this type. It produces a softer, more diffuse effect, but does cost you some light.

I've been looking into this too. I've got an excellent reply by someone using both. He said the clear one is better for large groups, very dark situations and for speedy refreshes (since the flash has to work a little less harder). The cloud one is better for portraits and the likes. It will cost about one stop of light, but it gives a warmer feeling to the picture. Since I hate the harsh feeling of flash light, and welcome the warming, I went for the cloud even if I don't have the most fancy/powerful of flashes. I haven't used it yet, it's on the way.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    I've been looking into this too. I've got an excellent reply by someone using both. He said the clear one is better for large groups, very dark situations and for speedy refreshes (since the flash has to work a little less harder). The cloud one is better for portraits and the likes. It will cost about one stop of light, but it gives a warmer feeling to the picture. Since I hate the harsh feeling of flash light, and welcome the warming, I went for the cloud even if I don't have the most fancy/powerful of flashes. I haven't used it yet, it's on the way.

I much prefer the clear to the cloudy, but I usually shoot in darker rooms where I need all the light I can get. I find the diffusion totally flattering and delightful. I already go through a bunch of batteries at the events where I use this diffuser. The cloudy version just causes my pockets bulge even more with rechargeable AA's.

cheers!
    Trish
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 26, 2006
    FYI. It appears that B&H will be stocking these soon.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited May 26, 2006
    docwalker wrote:
    FYI. It appears that B&H will be stocking these soon.

Hopefully, that will solve some of the supply problems that plague the current
    distributor :)
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?