Steel and Shadows

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited April 23, 2006 in Holy Macro
Bored and wasting time at the Orlando airport last month, waiting for my flight home, I spotted this and thought it looked interesting enough to snap.
What do you think?

65732082-L.jpg

and this is what created the shadows:

65732094-L.jpg

These shots are pretty much straight out of the camera. Anything different you would've done?

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    Not having shot much architecture, I'm not certain about what I would do different! The first shot is a little flat for me, both color-wise and I think if I were shooting it I would approach it from different angles as opposed to shooting it straight on. The second shot is great as is, but I would definitely convert it to black and white and make it sing!!! thumb.gif
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 23, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Not having shot much architecture, I'm not certain about what I would do different! The first shot is a little flat for me, both color-wise and I think if I were shooting it I would approach it from different angles as opposed to shooting it straight on. The second shot is great as is, but I would definitely convert it to black and white and make it sing!!! thumb.gif

Thanks for the observations Saurora. On the first shot, I thought the flat rhythm of the balconies contrasted with the irregular shadows was the interesting part of the shot but hey, that's just one viewpoint, right? On the second shot I actually tried a BW conversion but thought the loss of the blue sky dulled the picture and made the man walking above appear flat. I will however give it another try.

Thanks for looking. :D

edit > Ok, here it is. I've tweaked saturation, curves and levels several thousand ways and like this the best but still not sure.

65766209-L.jpg
  • Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Interesting shots Angelo. That first one I kind of like....although I'd have pumped up the contrast a bit and darkened those shadows. I would have also tried to draw more attention to the nekked lady in the window.

The 2nd image I think I would have liked to see the guy not dead center. Despite all the diagonal lines...he still seems dead center. perhaps moving him to one side or the other.

Architectural photography offers a great variety of unusual textures and lighting effectss. I would keep exploring these. Thanks for sharing.

Oh..and Angleo...how long did you look over that first image trying to find the nekked lady? I didn't see her either. :uhoh :D

Cheers
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    I Really Like The Second Shot
    Angelo wrote:
    Bored and wasting time at the Orlando airport last month, waiting for my flight home, I spotted this and thought it looked interesting enough to snap.
    What do you think?

and this is what created the shadows:

These shots are pretty much straight out of the camera. Anything different you would've done?

I love that second shot Angelo, that is a beauty thumb.gif the first one is okay too, but I find the second shot is very much alive ...gives off that sense of wow lets explore this even more kind of feel.
    Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited April 23, 2006
    I would have also tried to draw more attention to the nekked lady in the window.

You skunk :whip You had me going there for a second. The funny thing is, working the photo a few times I sometimes thought I saw images in the glass rolleyes1.gif
  • Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Angelo wrote:
    You skunk :whip You had me going there for a second. The funny thing is, working the photo a few times I sometimes thought I saw images in the glass rolleyes1.gif

rolleyes1.gif :giggle lol3.gif :lol4 That wasn't very nice of me. :D That was pretty easy...you're a guy. :uhoh umph.gif It reminded me of a shot I took way back in college. It was an architectural shot of a building. There was something VERY INTERESTING going on in an office. eek7.gif:D I have to take a quick look anymore. thumb.gif

I could photoshop a lady in the window ....if you like. hehe
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Loved the architecture nice shots the guy on top provides the scale thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery