Candle lit dinner, honest opinions please

luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
edited April 25, 2006 in People
Hi All,

So the photo below was taken at a 'mid-way dinner' which is a tradition in this part of the world.

Now, I like this photo for a number of reasons, but I'd be interested in what people with no associations to the person or the event think. People here may well err on the side of politeness to me... :):

Hence, please be brutally honest, as a photo, do you like it? :ear

65734009-L.jpg

As always, any more detail, comments as to why you like it/don't like it and suggestions for improvement are always a bonus.

If you're interested in technical details:

Canon 350D, 50mm f1.8 Mk II, ISO 1600, ACR, blend mask of USM + Gaussian blur

Many thanks,

Luke

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    Isn't ISO 1600 wonderful? I enjoy this shot very much, her expression is so engaging - I want to look, and look more when I first see this photo.

For a situational shot, this is quite good - sure there's a distracting hand in the bg, but so what. The girl, the main event, she's so strong. And supported by the lovely candle light.

I'd try your method of choice, to bring down the saturation a but - shots at high ISO tend to oversaturate. Of course, this is personal taste so take it FWIW.

clap.gif
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    Absolutely!!! The mood is so warm and inviting created both by the exposure, the dazzling eyes and smile of the model, and the glittering sparkles from the candlelight. It all works so very, very well together!!!! iloveyou.gif
  • luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Isn't ISO 1600 wonderful?

It sure is. ISO 1600 + fairly fast glass + RAW means photos in places that simply wouldn't work without it.
    I enjoy this shot very much, her expression is so engaging - I want to look, and look more when I first see this photo.

For a situational shot, this is quite good - sure there's a distracting hand in the bg, but so what. The girl, the main event, she's so strong. And supported by the lovely candle light.

Glad you liked it :):
    I'd try your method of choice, to bring down the saturation a but - shots at high ISO tend to oversaturate. Of course, this is personal taste so take it FWIW.

You were right. A simple saturation layer set to -15 seems to have done the trick.

Thanks for that.

65803708-L.jpg

Luke
    edited April 23, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Absolutely!!! The mood is so warm and inviting created both by the exposure, the dazzling eyes and smile of the model, and the glittering sparkles from the candlelight. It all works so very, very well together!!!! iloveyou.gif

Glad you liked it. Thanks for looking and for the comment. :):

Luke
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Luke - a super portrait of a pretty young lady.
    I actually prefer your original, I like the golden glow and I believe the noise/grain looks better than in your second.
    Very nice!
  • MyViewMyView Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Very beautiful shot. The expression on her face is very sweet. And the picture leaves me wondering what she was thinking.

Very nice!

I too like the warm glow of the first post, but I think I like the end result in the second better.
    Lissa
    www.photosbylissa.com
    www.photosbylissa.blogspot.com

Gear
    Nikon D200
    Nikon D70
    Nikon N70
    Nikkor 24-70 f2.8
    Nikkor 50mm f1.8
    Tamron 28-75 f2.8
    Nikkor 18-70
    Tamron 75-300
    SB-600
  • LittleLewLittleLew Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    MyView wrote:
    Very beautiful shot. The expression on her face is very sweet. And the picture leaves me wondering what she was thinking.

Very nice!

I too like the warm glow of the first post, but I think I like the end result in the second better.

A 25% cooling filter seems to give a nice result on the original also.
    New pictures at LewLortonphoto.com
  • oldbmwoldbmw Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    I like # 1 better as well.
    Chris Jennings
    chrisjennings.smugmug.com

Use coupon 6bPSMkMYrhpVE to save $5.00 on a new smugmug account
    edited April 24, 2006
    david_h wrote:
    Luke - a super portrait of a pretty young lady.
    I actually prefer your original, I like the golden glow and I believe the noise/grain looks better than in your second.
    Very nice!

Thanks for your comments David.
    edited April 24, 2006
    LittleLew wrote:
    A 25% cooling filter seems to give a nice result on the original also.

Thanks, I'll look into that.
    edited April 24, 2006
    oldbmw wrote:
    I like # 1 better as well.

It's always a little difficult, the CYMK preview version on my monitor calibrated to my print-shop looks somewhat different again. I guess I should start producing versions tuned for the web.

Thanks for your comment.

Luke
  • HallidayHalliday Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    A good Journalistic shot. It shows what happend in a very pleasing way.
    www.lanceshuey.com

I won't sell out even if the whole world think's I'm crazy.
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    Lovely shot, great mood, sharpness of the main subject.

As a photo layman, I find the background artifacts bother me. The gausian blur seems to have created some weird shapes and or noise/grain that keeps pulling my eye away from the subject. Especially the hand that was mentioned prior.

That's my only nit with the photo. Great job in difficult light.

Gene
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    I like the cooler of the two better. And, I'm with Andy, the OOF background and the hand next to her cheek is only a minor distraction. I was so taken with the young lady's face that it took me some time to find ANYTHING about the image that I didn't like.

When I read that you wanted the brutal truth, I started to really look at the image. My first thought was that I would open up the shadow on her face a bit, but second thoughts convinced me that doing so would detract from the strength.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    I love the image. Only problem is, and this is just one of those things I tend to notice, is that everything is leaning. The wall, the candle, and her. Just straighten it up and I can't think of anything else wrong with it.