Jane Goodall

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited April 24, 2006 in People
At the Franklin Park Zoo in Boston on Earth Day.

65822560-L.jpg

Canon 5D / 300mm f/2.8L
f.28 @ 1/00th
ISO 1000
Dan Margulis Portrait Post Processing Technique
If not now, when?

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 23, 2006
    nice! (as usual from your portraits)

how was the talk?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    When I was a kid, mebbe 8, my parents had a book by her with pictures of her with the chimps. She was beautiful. I had a crush on her.

Nice shot. You captured her well, considering she's at a lectern. Kind of a boring setting. But nicely done.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    It is a wonderful, alive portrait of a beautiful woman. Cheers me up on a rainy day just to look at it and think about her work. Thanks for sharing.

Virginia

Email
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 23, 2006
    Nicely captured, with lovely highlight bokeh behind her.

I would have preferred her shot from maybe on or two steps to your left, which would have kept the tip of her nose from intersecting precisely with the edge of her cheek

I see you have broken down and purchased new white glass, also.

You have good taste as usual, John:):
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Thanks, everyone. Dr. Goodall is a very inspirational speaker, but scary in the way that true environmentalists have to be these days. She tours and speaks 300+ days/year in support of her causes. See her web site: http://www.janegoodall.org/ to find out more. She does tell a lot of stories which relate her experiences with chimps to her social and environmental ideas. If she comes to your town, go see her. This is an especially good thing to do with children 10 or older who will be able to hear the element of hope in her message.

pathfinder wrote:
    I would have preferred her shot from maybe on or two steps to your left, which would have kept the tip of her nose from intersecting precisely with the edge of her cheek

This is a good comment, Jim. I didn't pick it up. Fortunately, I did shoot quite a few. Here is a different moment:

65877227-L.jpg
    pathfinder wrote:
    I see you have broken down and purchased new white glass, also.

I bought this lens used last summer and got a lot of good use out of it, especially on the beach. I tried it at a ballet dress rehearsal, but it was just too long (and not fast enough) for that. Mostly, it's been unused this winter. But when I found out that Dr. Goodall would be speaking to a thousand + people in a tent, that seemed like a good time to pull it out. I also tried for some wider shots to show both Jane Goodall and the audience, but getting the shot I really wanted would have required climbing up on the podium and shooting down toward the crowd with her in the foreground. Let's just say that wasn't happening this time.
    If not now, when?
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    65877227-S.jpg

Her IQ drops about 20 points in this shot. Don't know what it is, she's in the middle of a word, looks kinda crosseyed...this particular shot just isn't as engaging or flattering for her, IMO, as the first, although I think PF's got a great point.

EDIT: I think it's that she's got her head tilted up in the first shot. Makes her look more refined.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Thanks, David. I agree. The first one makes her look visionary and even optimistic. (If you think what I Dr. Goodall thinks, you have to be very visionary to be an optimistic.)

I have about 12 more, but I think the one with the nose and cheek issue is still the best one.

I loved hearing Jane Goodall and I loved what she has to say.
    DavidTO wrote:
    Her IQ drops about 20 points in this shot. Don't know what it is, she's in the middle of a word, looks kinda crosseyed...this particular shot just isn't as engaging or flattering for her, IMO, as the first, although I think PF's got a great point.

EDIT: I think it's that she's got her head tilted up in the first shot. Makes her look more refined.
    If not now, when?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 24, 2006
    I agree with David, that the second image is not as flattering as the first one, despite having a better angle re: her nose and cheek.

Her chin is more forward in the first image, and the image is slightly darker overall than the second image. She seems to be looking up slightly more in the first image also. Interesting how such subtle differences can be so meaningful.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin