ISO 3200 b&w

Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
edited April 23, 2006 in People
I like ISO 3200 of my Sony R1 camera. Someone may say - oh, its too noisy - how can you use it? I'll tell you. I turn camera to b&w or sepia and take photos. I like them very much - just a reminiscence of old times with my film camera (FED-2)...
3792.jpg

Spasibo,
Yuri

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Embrace the noise. Photography is NOT always about everything being razor sharp.

I still have some rolls of Tri-X and a few bottles of D-60 left naughty.gif
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Andy
    Andy wrote:
    Embrace the noise. Photography is NOT always about everything being razor sharp.

I still have some rolls of Tri-X and a few bottles of D-60 left naughty.gif

Nice to hear you, Andy!
    Long live noise & B&W!
    Yuri
  • david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Looking good Yuri.
    I often add a ton of grain to my BW portraits, I think it really adds to the effect. I don't know why everyone makes such a big deal about grain in high ISO digital images when it was always there with film.
    Looks as though Sony have a nice high ISO solution with your new camera.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Sony, high ISO, noise etc.
    Yuri, I was having similar noise issues with my late 828. I'd say - while bw/sepia conversion is a nice outcome, I found out that it's always better in low light conditions to
    a) shoot color
    b) shoot RAW (I know, I know, RAW in R1 is painfully slow, but hear me out)

With this approach you give yourself a much better "raw material" (pardon the wordplay) to work with in PS. Shooting monotone/duotone jpegs loses 2/3 of the color info that would be otherwise availalbe for you - even if noise is your goal.

Nice pikcha, otherwise:-)

Cheers, zemelya (Russian for "homie":-)!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited April 23, 2006
    I like ISO 3200 of my Sony R1 camera. Someone may say - oh, its too noisy - how can you use it? I'll tell you. I turn camera to b&w or sepia and take photos. I like them very much - just a reminiscence of old times with my film camera (FED-2)...

Spasibo,
    Yuri

Yuri,

I have 2 - Fed 5 cameras. One with an Industar 61 L/D, 55mm, f2.8, and one with a Jupiter 8, 5cm (50mm), f2.

The Industar (Tessar design) is an amazingly sharp lens with great contrast and color, while the Jupiter (Sonnar) has this wonderful creamy look when wide-open.

The meters even work with both cameras, and there are no batteries. I use the Industar for some of my Boy Scouting stuff. It's a little heavy, but built for anything. That plus ISO 100 and 400 film and a Vivitar 283 flash make a very compact kit.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums