Nik's Tricks Of The Week: Perfect LAB Curves Each Time

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited May 2, 2006 in Finishing School
Nik's Trick Of The Week #1.

LAB curves is a very powerful tool, but it's also dangerous: slight mistake, and the whole image gets a nasty cast. How to make sure the AB adjustment curves are perfectly symmetric? Here's the tip:

To ensure the line goes through exact center, adjust your bottom anchor point and the click on the toggle bar, which is conveniently located just a few pixels south.

65844978-L.jpg
If the curve line does not move - you're dead on:-).:clap

Otherwise use your Left and Right arrow keys for precise adjustment, using your mouse to toggle the bar and verify the symmetry.

That was easy, huh?:wink

Nik's Trick Of The Week #2.
Tired of adjusting those darn curves each time? Here's another big time saver.

Once you got a pair of perfectly aligned AB curves (c.f. the Trick #1) at, say, 1st grid line, just click "Save..." button, and name it AB1 (or LAB1).

Next, do the same for the 2d grid line, save it as AB2, etc. It will take you less than five minutes to create all four basic curve layouts. Once the work is done, they always will be there waiting for you: just hit the "Load..." button and choose the one you think is most appropriate, it's instantaneous!

Thanks for watching!:thumb
Stay tuned for the next episode of NTOTW:lust
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• ratcheerratcheer Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Hmmm. Either the GIMP does not have such a toggle bar or I can't find it.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    mine has numbers that tell me im spot on headscratch.gif
  • mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    Speaking of the gimp, is there any way to get Photoshop to display the channel histogram like the gimp does? And is LAB support in the gimp getting any better?
    edited April 25, 2006
    mwgrice wrote:
    Speaking of the gimp, is there any way to get Photoshop to display the channel histogram like the gimp does? And is LAB support in the gimp getting any better?

Okay, I guess I could just look at the histogram palette. Still, it's pretty convenient to see the histogram in the curves dialog like ratcheer's gimp screen shot.
  • Mark HornMark Horn Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited April 28, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Nik's Trick Of The Week #1.

LAB curves is a very powerful tool, but it's also dangerous: slight mistake, and the whole image gets a nasty cast. How to make sure the AB adjustment curves are perfectly symmetric? Here's the tip:

Or you can simply look at the numbers in the boxes for the number 15 in one 85 in the other or 10 in one 90 in the other..........hang on there's pattern here.......total = 100
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    I'm math-ignorant :-)
    Mark Horn wrote:
    Or you can simply look at the numbers in the boxes for the number 15 in one 85 in the other or 10 in one 90 in the other..........hang on there's pattern here.......total = 100

For me it's much easier to click on a bar and see if the curve moves :D
    Besides, the AB curves are 127-based, not 100 based (like L), so they don't add up that easily..
    edited April 29, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    For me it's much easier to click on a bar and see if the curve moves :D
    Besides, the AB curves are 127-based, not 100 based (like L), so they don't add up that easily..

I have them set up as 100-based curves. Don't ask me how I did that, though.:D
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    I'm afraid..
    mwgrice wrote:
    I have them set up as 100-based curves. Don't ask me how I did that, though.:D

We're probably talking about different curves. It's L-channel that is 100-based. A and B are -127..+127 ne_nau.gif
    edited April 30, 2006
    Nope, LAB curves in Photoshop. Click the toggle bar, then look at the scale. See below...
    edited April 30, 2006
    mwgrice wrote:
    Nope, LAB curves in Photoshop. Click the toggle bar, then look at the scale. See below...

I should add that this obviously is just Photoshop changing the scale it uses; I prefer it, and obviously I have Photoshop set up that way.
  • elpopielpopi Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 2, 2006
    suggestion
    Hi, this is my trick to avoid color casts. I don´t use the curve tool.
    1- I select channel A in the channel palette
    2- I then increase contrast (basicly a centered S curve) as desired
    3- I repeat the process for channel B
    Let me know what you think