Adding filename to image via batch?

patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
edited April 24, 2006 in Finishing School
Does anyone know of a good way to add the filename to an image via batching in PS or of a program that will do this?

I am trying to help a friend who wants to add the filenames to the image, bottom, corner, etc., so the files can then be put into a DVD slideshow and the client can know which images they are looking at.

Thanks,
-p

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Path,
    patch29 wrote:
    Does anyone know of a good way to add the filename to an image via batching in PS or of a program that will do this?

I am trying to help a friend who wants to add the filenames to the image, bottom, corner, etc., so the files can then be put into a DVD slideshow and the client can know which images they are looking at.

Thanks,
    -p

I recently finished Matt Kloskowski "PS CS 2 Speed Clinic" (awesome book, my 5-star review is there for Matt :-). He has one of the scripts available to a public domain. It makes PDF presentation with the file names.
    Unfortunately, you can only download this script along with everything else (which is 70Mb download:-().
    If you have a problem with that, drop me an email, I'll send you just the script itself.

However, the script is fairly complex (2,700+ lines of JS code), so I'm not sure if you want to fiddle with it.ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    However, the script is fairly complex (2,700+ lines of JS code), so I'm not sure if you want to fiddle with it.ne_nau.gif

I definitely do not want to, but I will check it out and see it it will do what they need it too. I think they want to put it on a dvd for home/tv viewing, not sure if that will work, but I will take a look.

Thanks. thumb.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Just in case
    patch29 wrote:
    I definitely do not want to, but I will check it out and see it it will do what they need it too. I think they want to put it on a dvd for home/tv viewing, not sure if that will work, but I will take a look.

Thanks. thumb.gif

There is a chance (no hard promises or ETAs) that I will look into that meself, since I have certain personal interests in the area of PS automation. So if you're not in a big hurry.... mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    patch29 wrote:

Thanks,
    -p
    If you are on a Mac you can have Apple Script or Automator do exactly this.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited April 23, 2006
    mercphoto wrote:
    If you are on a Mac you can have Apple Script or Automator do exactly this.

I am on a mac. I have no idea how to script. Do you have a link to any good resources online?

Thanks.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    I am on a mac. I have no idea how to script. Do you have a link to any good resources online?

Thanks.

I don't, except for this, which might be helpful to see how it's done.

I also know that in applescript you can drag any app onto the applescript icon and you'll get all the commands available.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    patch29 wrote:

Thanks.
    I used to have a few scripts for stuff like this but I found Photoshop actions to be much faster. Then again, I wasn't trying to put a document's name on an image either.

Look over Apple's website for documentation on Apple Script. Also open up Apple Script (in Applications) and look for the dictionary for Photoshop and for Finder. You'll want an outer loop to iterate over files in a folder. You'll then "tell" Photoshop to do various things, including placing a text layer in a given font and size with given text (which can easily be the file's name) and then a save.

Really not too hard to learn.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I don't, except for this, which might be helpful to see how it's done.

I also know that in applescript you can drag any app onto the applescript icon and you'll get all the commands available.

You drag the app onto the Script Editor icon. All commands will be there.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    patch29 wrote:

Thanks,
    -p

Is the Dr. Brown's caption maker/tutorial (item 21 in the web page noted below) any use?

http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html

Anthony.
    edited April 23, 2006
    Anthony wrote:
    Is the Dr. Brown's caption maker/tutorial (item 21 in the web page noted below) any use?

http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html

Anthony.

Thanks, that is very close to what I am looking for. I need to give it a test run and see if it works for my friends. It would be nice if it could not create a border, but it is really close.

Thanks.
    edited April 23, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    There is a chance (no hard promises or ETAs) that I will look into that meself, since I have certain personal interests in the area of PS automation. So if you're not in a big hurry.... mwink.gif

No real rush. I have friends that will end up using it and they are PC and Mac based if that helps, but the Dr. Brown scripts might work well.
  • AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    Thanks, that is very close to what I am looking for. I need to give it a test run and see if it works for my friends. It would be nice if it could not create a border, but it is really close.

Thanks.

Depending on the presentation media, you could match the background colour of the border; then once the pictures have done their 'presentation' duty, you could chop off the border as detailed in Russell's video.

Anthony