Help me fix an image.

Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
edited April 24, 2006 in Finishing School
I rarely see a bird feeding on fish here in Phoenix some some reason. I was walking around when I saw this GBH trying to catch something. So I setup for him and he comes up with a fish and he swings his head into the light and now have a hot head and fish.

It would be awesome if someone could fix this or tell me how to. I have been messing with it for an hour and all I end up with is an overprocessed GBH.

GBHHelp.jpg

I have a Tiff file for editing if you can fix it let me know or show me on the JPG.

I would be grateful for your help and will buy you your first beer if your going to the shootout :) If not I have some filters laying around from Hoya and Tiffen that I won't use that you might :)
Bob
Phoenix, AZ
Canon Bodies
Canon and Zeiss Lenses

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 23, 2006
    Bob - was this shot in RAW?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • LittleLewLittleLew Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:

I have an equivalent problem where a stage shot is too hot at one corner and right on at the other - with a gradient in the middle
    New pictures at LewLortonphoto.com
  • Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Yep
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • ratcheerratcheer Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    Is this something like what you want? If so, I did it with a contrast overlay mask. I'll give you the full details if you are interested.

Tim
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 23, 2006
    You could develop two seperate images from the RAW file - one for the highlights, and one for the mid tones and shadows, and then blend them as layers.

Or you can select the highlights with the color select tool IN LAB mode, duplicate them in a second layer and multiply blend them, or use the multiply blend in the Blend IF command on the Layers palette, and control the multiply blend by using Luminosity as the channell, and the luminosity sliders to limit the multiply blend only to the extreme highlights.

Can you make the original RAW file available somewhere on the WEB? Do you have a .MAC account for instance?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • oldbmwoldbmw Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    65948042-M.jpg

Cropped, bumped up the saturation (probably to much now that I look at it) dodged the bird and burned the background.
    Chris Jennings
    chrisjennings.smugmug.com

Use coupon 6bPSMkMYrhpVE to save $5.00 on a new smugmug account
  • mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    Quick use of lab color enhancement
    Along with some quick selection of background and judicious use of PS shadow highlight filter to open shadows revert to RGB and invert selection and again use S?H filter this time to tame highlights on birds face and neck. Then a little sharpening:

66003044-O.jpg

...................Mereimage
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    depending on the histogram, you can use the shadow\highlight tool to help bring in some detail to a blown out area.

If that fails, you can cheat and try to huse the healing brush and fill in the area. Generally this will only work well for small areas.
  • Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    Khaos wrote:
    depending on the histogram, you can use the shadow\highlight tool to help bring in some detail to a blown out area.

If that fails, you can cheat and try to huse the healing brush and fill in the area. Generally this will only work well for small areas.

Interesting ideas. The side of the head is so hot there isn't any detail.

Chris, I didn't know any sportsshooters were on here. One of my fav sites.

I like the saturation it makes the white look more like an artistic effect. I was trying to burn the white part but it didnt work.

Pathfinder, I will have to look to see if I have one still. If not I can definately post an unedited Tiff in 8bit aRGB
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • oldbmwoldbmw Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    I
    Chris, I didn't know any sportsshooters were on here. One of my fav sites.

I like the saturation it makes the white look more like an artistic effect. I was trying to burn the white part but it didnt work.

Yep I've been an SS member for a few years.

If I have to pick between underexposing and over exposing I will almost always choose under because you can usually pull a little detail out of shadows but if it's over exposed you can't do nothin bout it.
    Chris Jennings
    chrisjennings.smugmug.com

Use coupon 6bPSMkMYrhpVE to save $5.00 on a new smugmug account