5d focus points and manual lenses

gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
edited April 26, 2006 in Cameras
so, just wondering whether the 5d focus points light up whilst using manual focus lenses?

anyone? andy?
Latitude: 37° 52'South
Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 23, 2006
    Yup, if the lens is in focus!

Hold the shutter halfway down, and slowly focus back and forth and the RED AF points will light up when focus occurs, and the green light on the right in the view finder will light up also when focus occurs.

I just tried it to be sure:):
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited April 23, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Yup, if the lens is in focus!

Hold the shutter halfway down, and slowly focus back and forth and the RED AF points will light up when focus occurs, and the green light on the right in the view finder will light up also when focus occurs.

I just tried it to be sure:):

Path,

Just so I understand, this works even with "adapted" lenses that don't couple electronically or don't even have an "auto-focus" mode?

That would be very, very sweet.

Are any other Canon bodies capable of this? (Using manual focus lenses and providing focus confirmation.)

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2006
    I know that for Nikon DSLR bodies, you can in effect take an absolutely chipless, auto-nothing lens and put it on your camera, and if it's in focus the focus light will go on. I bet this is the same with Canon. Although, having the actual focus point light up is neat! I have to monitor a little light in the corner of the display LCD right below the viewfinder, and that's a pain. Having all in-focus focus points illuminate sounds really cool!

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Are any other Canon bodies capable of this? (Using manual focus lenses and providing focus confirmation.)

Yes. I can personally vouch for this with the 300D, 350D, 10D, and 20D (as I own a 300D and got to play with the others all the time at my old job). UPDATE: I tried it with a 50mm f1.8 II lens electronically decoupled by taping up the contacts and it doesn't work; I don't know about my other lenses but I could try them if you want.

One thing I've noticed though, on my 300D it seems like the points don't always light up every time. For example, if I continue to hold the shutter halfway down and bring the focus back and forth in a scene (even with a tripod), it seems like the first point I get into focus lights up fine, but if I keep playing with the focus don't always light up the others (or even the original one again if I "pass by" it). Anybody else seen this happen? headscratch.gif
    Although, having the actual focus point light up is neat!
    Canon does this. I'm actually kind of surprised Nikon doesn't; is there a menu setting to enable this?
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    how?
    how do you achieve this with the 20d?

i can't seem to manage it.

what lenses did you use?

greg

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
    edited April 24, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Path,

Just so I understand, this works even with "adapted" lenses that don't couple electronically or don't even have an "auto-focus" mode?

That would be very, very sweet.

Thanks,

ziggy53

I don't know if non-EOS system lenses do this or not Ziggy, I just turned off AF on my 24-105 IA L to test this, but I think it will, as the Canon T&S lenses are not AF lenses, but will focus this way and verify focus with the 5D or 1D series cameras by lighting the little green light in the viewfinder.

Like another poster mentions, it can be kind of tedious to do - you have to focus carefully, you need plenty of light, and sometimes it is hard to verify lock. I doubt it will work well in dim illumination. BUt I have done it with several lenses - Canon macro lenses do this also.

• Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    gtc wrote:
    how do you achieve this with the 20d?

i can't seem to manage it.

what lenses did you use?

greg

The 20D, D60, 1DmkII do this with Zeiss 21mm, 28/2, 28/2.8, 50/1.4, 50/1.7, 85/1.4.

the focus / meter system still work even though a lens is not electronically coupled.

BTW it nots perfect :)
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • geoffmeadgeoffmead Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 24, 2006
    Focus points
    Don't forget that some focus points are "horizontal" some are "vertical" and sme are both.
    On my 20D there are 6xH, 2xV, and just one (the central one) which is both.
    In MF mode, with the shutter half-pressed, each one lights up when it recognises focus on a suitably oriented edge or line.
    Geoff
    edited April 24, 2006
    Good point Geoff. And the center points will usually work in dimmer light than the more peripheral points.

This will work a lot better with f2.8 lenses than f5.5 lenses I am sure.

edited April 25, 2006
    manual focus confirm-camera settings
    could someone who is getting focus confirmation with old manual lenses give me a tutorial in how to set up my camera to achieve this?

edited April 26, 2006
    bob says no to focus confirm on 20d
    Bob says no to focus confirmation on eos 20d-

http://bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/manual_focus_EOS.html

does anyone disagree with him and if so why...and how?

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited April 26, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    The 20D, D60, 1DmkII do this with Zeiss 21mm, 28/2, 28/2.8, 50/1.4, 50/1.7, 85/1.4.

the focus / meter system still work even though a lens is not electronically coupled.

BTW it nots perfect :)

Bob,

What adapter are you using? I am using a simple metal plate adapter from Adorama, and I cannot get focus confirmation in any mode or with any combination of focus point selection, including all. I am choosing subject matter with sharp and simple high-contrast matter to perform the test.

I am using a dRebelXT and the lens I would really like to work is the Pentax 50mm, f1.4, but this would be handy with other lenses as well.

I had read about someone taking an old telextender apart (it had broken optical elements) to provide mechanical coupling with a unique lens. That combination also provided focus confirmation.

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited April 26, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Bob,

What adapter are you using? I am using a simple metal plate adapter from Adorama, and I cannot get focus confirmation in any mode or with any combination of focus point selection, including all. I am choosing subject matter with sharp and simple high-contrast matter to perform the test.

I am using a dRebelXT and the lens I would really like to work is the Pentax 50mm, f1.4, but this would be handy with other lenses as well.

I had read about someone taking an old telextender apart (it had broken optical elements) to provide mechanical coupling with a unique lens. That combination also provided focus confirmation.

Thanks,

ziggy53
    The adapter is a fotodiox from when the whole Zeiss on Canon thing started 2 years ago. I bought it from Son who can be found on FM in the alternative mount forum. They were the fotodiox ones with the spring retainers.

I'm in the process of selling off all of the zeiss stuff since I don't use it enough (85/1.4, 28/2 hollywood, 28/2.8 are gone) So I don't think I can test it now since I only have a 50/1.7 left.

But I know the center point will light up red when it thinks its in focus but the whole point to this is to not use the AF system from Canon because it is flawed in my opinion. Well maybe not flawed, just the AF tollerance to too much.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
    edited April 26, 2006
    gtc wrote:
    Bob says no to focus confirmation on eos 20d-

http://bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/manual_focus_EOS.html

does anyone disagree with him and if so why...and how?

I have a lot of respect for Bob. He has done amazing things around this industry but my first hand experience is that he is incorrect. The interesting thing about this is, Canon focus confirmation and manual focus weren't always in agreement.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
    edited April 26, 2006
    settings to achieve this?
    i am interested in how your camera was set up to achieve this-could you explain the settings to us so that ziggy and i can try to get our teles to work?

also did you get a beep?