gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited April 27, 2006 in Cameras

Comments

• Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    I'll give you a dollar for the 10-22.mwink.gif
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    I would think you are on the right track
    How about the 15 f/2.8 get good reviews not too much $$$
    Here's the 14 f/2.8 but lots more jack

I wish I could be on that track too but what about the 5D...just wondering
    I think that is the next step for me...but I sure love the 20D

Fred
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    USAIR wrote:
    I would think you are on the right track
    How about the 15 f/2.8 get good reviews not too much $$$
    Here's the 14 f/2.8 but lots more jack
    Fred

Time for someone to step in with the difference between a fisheye and a rectilinear lens. The 15 Fisheye and the 14 are very different types of lenses.

Scroll down this page and look at the farmhouse shot with the 15 Fish, 14mm, the 16-35 at 16.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited April 24, 2006
    Gus, I have the Sigma 12-24 and I'm not crazy about it. It has a lot more CA than does the 16-35, and it seems to have a warmer cast.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 24, 2006
    Gus, I would suggest the 16-35f2.8 L if you plan on moving to a larger sensor body. Or the 17-40f4 L.

Both are excellent - the extra stop is pricey, but I think you will prefer the f2.8 over the f4, maybe.ne_nau.gif

The 10-22 is a rectilinear lens, as is the 16-35 L and the 17-40 L.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited April 24, 2006
    What PF said.

Next question (tho I think I know the answer). Do you plan to keep the 20d?
    If so, why not keep the 10-22?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    Andy talked me into getting the 16-35 f2.8, even though I was happy with the 17-40.

It, the 16-35, is worth its price and more. I would do that again. Great lens and that extra stop! Priceless!

However, it is not the lens that the 10-22 is.............diff uses, IMO.

don't know with that fancy camera you are buying next year. I only have a 20D, and if I am lucky, that is what I will have!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Time for someone to step in with the difference between a fisheye and a rectilinear lens. The 15 Fisheye and the 14 are very different types of lenses.

Scroll down this page and look at the farmhouse shot with the 15 Fish, 14mm, the 16-35 at 16.

Well I got one correct that's 50% :D
    The 15mm is a fisheye but the 10-22 is not...it's a rectilinear right?
    I'm curious to find why not a 5D

Fred
    edited April 24, 2006
    For 'gus's interests in sports, bike racing, car racing, surfing, telephoto shots of the same, the 1DMkll is a vastly better choice than the 5D, Fred.

The AF and High speed frame rate of the 1DMkll are vastly better than the 5D's. He also gets to use the 1.3 crop factor of the 1DMKll that he would give up with the 5D.

The 5D is a great camera for portraits, tourist uses, landscapes, but is not ideal for tasks requiring fast focusing and high speed shooting. The 1DMkll was built with just that in mind.:):

After shooting racing and surfing with the 20D, 'gus will think he has died and gone to heaven with a 1DMKll for those subjects.

edited April 24, 2006
    The 16-35 will perform a lot better on the 1D than it will the 5D, as well. Now that I have a full frame sensor, the softness in the corners is really apparent. I now better understand Andy's restless search for good wide angle glass, and why he's using that pricey 21mm Zeiss Distagon (is that what it is?)
    Sid.
    edited April 24, 2006
    In some ways, the 1DMkll is the best camera Canon makes - big enough sensor for great images, small enough files for easier handling and processing, slight edge to the telephoto side for sports, but still able to use wide glass with sharp corners, etc. And built like a tank to shoot at events all day long in high speed frame rate.

Whats not to like?

edited April 24, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    In some ways, the 1DMkll is the best camera Canon makes - big enough sensor for great images, small enough files for easier handling and processing, slight edge to the telephoto side for sports, but still able to use wide glass with sharp corners, etc. And built like a tank to shoot at events all day long in high speed frame rate.

Whats not to like?
    Only two things, from my perspective. Smaller viewing screen, and smaller viewfinder. Manual focusing is challenging on the 1DmkII.
    Sid.
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    the 10 on the 10-22 is simiar to the 16 on the 16-35 when used on a mkII.

The 16 on a 20D will be more like a 25. Will this be enough for you for a year?
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    ... wha?

I think this needs to be clarified.

You can't use a 10-22 on full frame, therefore:
    10-22mm = 1.6x crop version of the 16-35mm, minus the f/2.8'ness (Oh how I wish they'd made the 10-22 an 2.8...)

So get the 16-35L or the older 17-35L when you go full frame.

... and sell the 10-22 for me. I'll give you two dollah! naughty.gif

He was talking about selling his 10-22 now and not getting the FF for another year. Thus if he buys the 16-35 now for the FF later, his widest, due to the crop factor will be around 25.
    edited April 24, 2006
    16mm focal length on a 1DMkll is about the equiv of 21mm on a 35mm camra in angle of view. Probably wide enough for most folks - Not sure about Gus.

The viewfinder screens on the 1DMkll are interchangeable like the lenses. There are split image range reticle screens from Canon for the 1 series cameras, as well as screens with composition lines and fresnel screens. I think the split image reticle screen disables Evaluative metering - otherwise I might have tried one myself, waxy.

edited April 24, 2006
    Yes, that's the irony of going to the 1DmkII from the 20D. Practically speaking, you actually give up some width, even though you're going to a larger sensor.

The 1D's crop is 1.3 versus the 20D's 1.6, but there is no Canon lens for the 1D that is the equivalent of the 10-22. And as I said, the Sigma 12-24 is not very satisfactory, IMHO.

Soooo, either you get the 16-35 and settle for 21mm instead of 16 you get with the 10-20/20D combo...

Or you get the 14 mm (18 mm equivalent) and its issues...

Or you find another brand lens that works for you.

For these reasons, the 10-22 is a very attractive lens.
    Sid.
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    Khaos wrote:
    He was talking about selling his 10-22 now and not getting the FF for another year. Thus if he buys the 16-35 now for the FF later, his widest, due to the crop factor will be around 25.

Ah, sorry.

Understood.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
    edited April 24, 2006
    edited April 24, 2006
    edited April 24, 2006
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    contax-zeiss rectilinear wide
    you might want to think about a zeiss-contax distagon 21mm-its the one made in the yashica factory, but is still a zeiss,but a lot less expensive than andys german lens

you can get an adapter for it, if you don't mind focussing manually.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    Gus,
    I'm not sure if you sold the lens or not, I googled mod 10-22 and got you as sold on the dgrin thread ne_nau.gif

however, this might be fun....... http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/efs-10d.html

Instead of 16-35mm at 35mm that would be 13-28.6mm, can you justify it?

If so it might be fun

Cheers
    Stan
  • StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    Stan wrote:
    Gus,
    I'm not sure if you sold the lens or not, I googled mod 10-22 and got you as sold on the dgrin thread ne_nau.gif

however, this might be fun....... http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/efs-10d.html

Instead of 16-35mm at 35mm that would be 13-28.6mm, can you justify it?

If so it might be fun

Cheers
    Stan

I read the small print, It might not work on a larger frame.......ne_nau.gif

Stan