My first attempt at silhouettes

patrickbeilpatrickbeil Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
edited April 24, 2006 in People
Pat

Comments

• BoomerangNetwork.comBoomerangNetwork.com Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    I found that the key to a great silhouette is to place the image into a lighter backdrop. The first image has a fisherman that blends into the water while that other is much easier to see due to the lighter background. You can always lower your camera angle and alter your viewpoint very quickly. Digital is cheap...never stop shooting...you can always edit it later.

Thanks for sharing.
    Andrew Osterberg

Moving Beyond Photography

VirtualPhotographyStudio.com
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    Your second picture works better as indeed the figure is standing against a light backdrop, so you see the silhouette better. I would have placed him a bit more off center to get a better composition, but that is minor. You have a nice black silhouette, you cracked it...
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    Your second picture works better as indeed the figure is standing against a light backdrop, so you see the silhouette better. I would have placed him a bit more off center to get a better composition, but that is minor. You have a nice black silhouette, you cracked it...
  • patrickbeilpatrickbeil Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    I found that the key to a great silhouette is to place the image into a lighter backdrop. The first image has a fisherman that blends into the water while that other is much easier to see due to the lighter background. You can always lower your camera angle and alter your viewpoint very quickly. Digital is cheap...never stop shooting...you can always edit it later.

Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks for your comments. I was looking at the LAB tutorials here on DGRIN, and decided to try and lighten the first image. Now the area around the sun has lost the detail...So much to learn! Back to the drawing board...
    66061891-L.jpg
    Pat
    edited April 24, 2006
    photocat wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I find myself not looking at the entire image when I start working on them. I seem to focus on one thing, and not the entire image - like composition in this one. I guess that will come with time and experience. I do appreciate your comments. Thanks.
    Pat
  • ryan_wedemeyerryan_wedemeyer Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    i like the second photo in general, but i can't tell if the fisherman's silhouette is in crisp focus or not.

the most important thing to remember when doing a silhouette is to make sure the silhouette is in focus.
    edited April 24, 2006
    i like the second photo in general, but i can't tell if the fisherman's silhouette is in crisp focus or not.

the most important thing to remember when doing a silhouette is to make sure the silhouette is in focus.

Ryan,
    I went back to the original image file, and it looks soft - I had not noticed that. I'll be more careful in the future - thanks.
    Pat
    Pat