Painting with Sand

dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
edited April 26, 2006 in Holy Macro
I went to the Museum of Anthropology on Saturday, expecting to take the usual photos. Boy, did I luck out!

65743685-L.jpg

65743731-L.jpg

65743717-L.jpg

The rest of the photos are here: http://dkoyanagi.smugmug.com/gallery/1391590

Those sticks they're using are hollow metal funnels. They have raised grooves on top and when another funnel is rubbed against it, it vibrates and causes a trickle of colored sand to pour from the pointy end. It also makes a wonderful metalic rattling sound and when all four of them get going it drowns out all other sounds in the room. It's very hypnotic watching them work.

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    Brilliant
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    I went to the Museum of Anthropology on Saturday, expecting to take the usual photos. Boy, did I luck out!

The rest of the photos are here: http://dkoyanagi.smugmug.com/gallery/1391590

Those sticks they're using are hollow metal funnels. They have raised grooves on top and when another funnel is rubbed against it, it vibrates and causes a trickle of colored sand to pour from the pointy end. It also makes a wonderful metalic rattling sound and when all four of them get going it drowns out all other sounds in the room. It's very hypnotic watching them work.

Ohhhhhhh wow you were there at the right time hu thumb.gif
    What an amazing piece of ART in the making is that .......I'm stunned, so delicate and precise, such beautiful colours.

Look at the concentration on their faces, yet they seem to create their Art so easily...... it is just Brilliant ... I love it clap.gifclap.gif

Thank you for sharing this wonderful post of yours..... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    Beautiful. Amazing what people can do. I keep thinking, what if they sneeze?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    oh this always amazes me. I did some workshops with some tibetan monks a couple of years ago, and they were teaching us to do this. However....I did not do very well. It is very very hard.

Excellent shots.thumb.gif
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
  • dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Ohhhhhhh wow you were there at the right time hu thumb.gif
    What an amazing piece of ART in the making is that .......I'm stunned, so delicate and precise, such beautiful colours.

Look at the concentration on their faces, yet they seem to create their Art so easily...... it is just Brilliant ... I love it clap.gifclap.gif

Thank you for sharing this wonderful post of yours..... Skippy (Australia)

Thanks Skippy. I agree, the human creative spirit never ceases to amaze me. I feel very fortunate to have seen this.
    edited April 24, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I keep thinking, what if they sneeze?

I don't know. I have a feeling that the monks would simply shrug and think "such is the impermanence of worldly things."
    edited April 24, 2006
    rahmonster wrote:
    oh this always amazes me. I did some workshops with some tibetan monks a couple of years ago, and they were teaching us to do this. However....I did not do very well. It is very very hard.

Excellent shots.thumb.gif

Thanks Rahmonster!
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2006
    Now THAT'S cool.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited April 24, 2006
    That's such a cool art form. I see them so loveingly created then enjoyed and
    finally, swept away.

Very nice capture!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    wOW for you and the people in the pictures great series
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    WOW, that is probably one of the coolest art forms that I have ever seen, but it would suck if you sneeze of messesed up, you would have to restart a whole piece all over. Awesome photos, capturing some great moments !
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
    edited April 26, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    Now THAT'S cool.
    I agree.
    edited April 26, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    That's such a cool art form. I see them so loveingly created then enjoyed and
    finally, swept away.

Very nice capture!
    Thanks Ian!
    edited April 26, 2006
    wOW for you and the people in the pictures great series
    Thanks Awais!
    edited April 26, 2006
    WOW, that is probably one of the coolest art forms that I have ever seen, but it would suck if you sneeze of messesed up, you would have to restart a whole piece all over. Awesome photos, capturing some great moments !

Thanks Marko!
  • ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Dan that is great.iloveyou.gifthumb.gif
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]