HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
edited April 27, 2006 in Sports
66323490-L.jpg

66323575-L.jpg

66323617-L.jpg

66333303-L.jpg

66333253-L.jpg

66148709-L.jpg

I found the light to be pretty challenging, at least from where I was stationed most of the time. I had a hard time balancing between capturing some color in the shadows and blowing out the highlights. But I'm pleased with my new (to me) telephoto zoom and look forward to more outings. :thumb

Comments and criticism are welcome.
Tim

Comments

• SamuraiJackSamuraiJack Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    I found the light to be pretty challenging, at least from where I was stationed most of the time. I had a hard time balancing between capturing some color in the shadows and blowing out the highlights. But I'm pleased with my new (to me) telephoto zoom and look forward to more outings. thumb.gif

Comments and criticism are welcome.
    Those are excellent and bring back lots of good memories. I used to ride and go to track days at Virginia International Raceway, Road Atlanta, etc. I rode a Kawasaki very similar to the one in your first picture...good times. It's quite a rush taking those curves at 50+ mph with your knee draging the ground. thumb.gif

What lense did you use for these?
    Wes Stewart
    Canon 20D
    580ex
    Canon 50 f1.8 MkII
    Canon 70-200 f4L
    www.pbase.com/wesstewart
  • DaddioDaddio Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    We must have been standing in the same places. :D I too found the lighting harsh. I tried to underexpose and that seemed to help, but many of my shots ended up being blown out in the whites and editing can only work with info that's there.
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    Those are excellent and bring back lots of good memories. I used to ride and go to track days at Virginia International Raceway, Road Atlanta, etc. I rode a Kawasaki very similar to the one in your first picture...good times. It's quite a rush taking those curves at 50+ mph with your knee draging the ground. thumb.gif

What lense did you use for these?

Thank you. I used a Nikkor 75-300/4-5.6, which I bought used recently. The reviews I read said the color rendition and optics are very good and so far I've found that to be true.
    Tim
    edited April 25, 2006
    Daddio wrote:
    We must have been standing in the same places. :D I too found the lighting harsh. I tried to underexpose and that seemed to help, but many of my shots ended up being blown out in the whites and editing can only work with info that's there.

I seem to have slightly overexposed nearly every shot. The crappy zoom I used to use underexposed nearly everything so I've been reveling in this new brighter glass. :D This was the first trip to the races for this lens so the learning process is just beginning . . .
    Tim
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Good eye, Tim, you have some nice stuff here. Are you shooting in NEF or jpeg?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited April 26, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Good eye, Tim, you have some nice stuff here. Are you shooting in NEF or jpeg?

jpeg

I took something like 500 pics over the weekend; I don't have the memory to do that with RAW files. I've been meaning to start experimenting on ocassions when I'm not shooting such volume. A little exposure tweaking would be a good thing (among others).
    Tim
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    jpeg

I took something like 500 pics over the weekend; I don't have the memory to do that with RAW files. I've been meaning to start experimenting on ocassions when I'm not shooting such volume. A little exposure tweaking would be a good thing (among others).
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. You might be able to underxpose a tad to save your highlights, then make two exposures from the NEF file and combine them for a single, balanced image. That bright midday sunshine is tough to work with.

And flash cards aren't that expensive anymore (easy for me to say!)
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited April 27, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    You might be able to underxpose a tad to save your highlights, then make two exposures from the NEF file and combine them for a single, balanced image.

I have much to learn. Thanks, Sid.
    Tim