First portrait shoot

jrollinsjrollins Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
edited April 27, 2006 in People
Well, these are from our first "real" portrait shoot, so I would appreciate some honest feedback about what you guys think of them.

Thanks in advance!

My neighbor's children:

66342633-M.jpg

66342676-M.jpg

66342733-M.jpg

Some friends from church:

66343696-M.jpg

66367293-M.jpg

66343753-M.jpg

Thanks again for looking!
Canon 20D with Grip
Canon 580EX
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
Canon 50mm f/1.8

Comments

• prity goldfishprity goldfish Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    the ones of the family in black are pretty darn good. not sure how i feel about the black against the black tho.
  • jrollinsjrollins Registered Users Posts: 77 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    the ones of the family in black are pretty darn good. not sure how i feel about the black against the black tho.

Yeah, I'm thinking I might need a dark gray backdrop or have them wear dark blue or something. We did some of those with my daughter and on paper (particularly in B&W) they look pretty cool.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Canon 20D with Grip
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Watch your color balance, some are really blue. Your posing is good!

I can't help but think the kids think you're a bit crazy... they're not sure what to think, against the tree!
    edited April 26, 2006
    Owen wrote:
    Watch your color balance, some are really blue. Your posing is good!

I can't help but think the kids think you're a bit crazy... they're not sure what to think, against the tree!
    Yeah, ya caught me on the color balance...ooops. /trying to figure out how that one got past me...

They live next to me, so they know I'm crazy. I think they (or one anyway) was ready to be done. The Icee man was driving through. :D

Thanks for your input!
    Canon 20D with Grip
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
  • SportsShotsSportsShots Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Posing is good. Have to agree about the dark on dark though. Looks like you have a great start. Posing is usually one of the hardest obstacles to tackle. Looks really good though.
    Sports Action Photography
    www.sidelinepictures.com
  • mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    I think they will like them
    As mentioned color balance is off. Also they need seperation from the background-their clothes dissappear in the background. These both can be improved in the LAB color space along with the use of curves or the Shadow/highlight filter(I have run these thru PS quickly and it does improve the pics). Even better would be to have used a flash/stobe or even a small halogen light to provide a back light to give a little rim lighting to them or even to illuminate the background. Certainly a good startclap.gif...................Mereimage

I forgot-when I took them into PS they had no color space tagged to them-don't forget to assign sRGB color space before uploading to dgrin/smugmug as its the only one they recognize and your pics will look flat without it .

ex: http://mereimage.smugmug.com/photos/66498530-L.jpg and http://mereimage.smugmug.com/photos/66498555-L.jpg
    edited April 27, 2006
    mereimage wrote:
    As mentioned color balance is off. Also they need seperation from the background-their clothes dissappear in the background. These both can be improved in the LAB color space along with the use of curves or the Shadow/highlight filter(I have run these thru PS quickly and it does improve the pics). Even better would be to have used a flash/stobe or even a small halogen light to provide a back light to give a little rim lighting to them or even to illuminate the background. Certainly a good startclap.gif...................Mereimage
    Yeah, the backdrop seperation is what bothers me too. Although I'm afraid to kick light across the backdrop for fear of over exposing it due to the low contrast of the shot. :( Do you mean kick the light from behind the subject onto the subject? I have a strobe and stand that I could give that one a try. I'll have to dress my kids in black. :D Thanks for the input!!

mereimage wrote:
    I forgot-when I took them into PS they had no color space tagged to them-don't forget to assign sRGB color space before uploading to dgrin/smugmug as its the only one they recognize and your pics will look flat without it .
    Thanks!
    Canon 20D with Grip
    Canon 580EX
    Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
  • mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    Yes thats what I meant..........Mereimage.
    -
    jrollins wrote:
    Yeah, the backdrop seperation is what bothers me too. Although I'm afraid to kick light across the backdrop for fear of over exposing it due to the low contrast of the shot. :( Do you mean kick the light from behind the subject onto the subject? I have a strobe and stand that I could give that one a try. I'll have to dress my kids in black. :D Thanks for the input!!

Thanks!