20D - Raw+Jpg image counts for 4 gig.

Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
edited April 28, 2006 in Cameras
As the utah trip is nearing, I am looking at storage solutions. If I get a DVD burner than burns the content of a CF card. They can only view jpg and I am wondering if anyone has a ball park of how many images I can get Raw+Large Jpeg on 4 gig ultra II's. I currently get around 500 or so shooting RAW only.

Thx for your response to my silly question and I fully understand how ISO and other factors impact the number of images on a card.

Thx
Bob
Phoenix, AZ
Canon Bodies
Canon and Zeiss Lenses

Comments

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    I would preview on the camera, shoot raw only, and use the maximum space to store images on the download device.

Like Kenny Rogers would say, don't count your money while your sittin' at the table...;-)

When you get home to your computer, you can do muh better reviewing anyway.
    Bob Bell wrote:
    As the utah trip is nearing, I am looking at storage solutions. If I get a DVD burner than burns the content of a CF card. They can only view jpg and I am wondering if anyone has a ball park of how many images I can get Raw+Large Jpeg on 4 gig ultra II's. I currently get around 500 or so shooting RAW only.

Thx for your response to my silly question and I fully understand how ISO and other factors impact the number of images on a card.

Thx
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    I would preview on the camera, shoot raw only, and use the maximum space to store images on the download device.

Like Kenny Rogers would say, don't count your money while your sittin' at the table...;-)

Yea I know Shay your probably right to just have an adult beverage and relax each night. Thx for straightening me out.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited April 26, 2006
    I'm all for adult beverages in the right place and time.

Now on to the how many images question. I find that JPEG Large High Quality + RAW can be about 12MB per shot. If you bracket, then perhaps 36MB.

There is headroom built into the card for controller space, so figure a 4 gigger will have (I'm guessing here) ~3.88 GB. ??

so 3.88GB / 12MB is roughly 323 full-sized JPG L H + RAW shots.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Yep -- 320 to 340 RAW+JPG for 4GB card
    David_S85 wrote:
    I find that JPEG Large High Quality + RAW can be about 12MB per shot. ... so 3.88GB / 12MB is roughly 323 full-sized JPG L H + RAW shots.
    Sounds about right. I get roughly 170 RAW+highest-quality-JPG shots on a 2GB card, which would be about 340 on a 4GB card. RAWs are about 9MB each and JPGs are 2-3MB each.
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• MPerdomoMPerdomo Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Just shoot JPEG only. It won't really matter for 90% of shooting.

And vacation photography is the type of shooting where you wont find that last 10% that requires RAW
    edited April 26, 2006
    MPerdomo wrote:

And vacation photography is the type of shooting where you wont find that last 10% that requires RAW

I haven't shot in jpg in 4-5 years or longer. I don't even use jpg for anything except website images. Just because its vacation doesn't mean I should settle for images that are 1/3 stop away from proper exposure or something else easily repaired in ACR or Raw Shooter.

I plan on bringing 2-4 gig cards and 2-1 gig cards for 10 gigs a day but most likely will only use the 4 gig cards. So daily image storage shouldnt be a problem since I will have a place to copy to at night. 8 gigs is around a 1000 images in RAW only.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    Hi Bob,

When I'm on vacation is the only time I shoot RAW+JPG, and I do it for the same reasons you do -- so I can view the photos. My aging laptop just isn't up to handling raw files.

Keep in mind, that since you'll have the raw files, you can shoot with small jpg's highly compressed -- since they are only for viewing on the road anyway.

Lee
    edited April 28, 2006
    leebase wrote:
    Hi Bob,

When I'm on vacation is the only time I shoot RAW+JPG, and I do it for the same reasons you do -- so I can view the photos. My aging laptop just isn't up to handling raw files.

Keep in mind, that since you'll have the raw files, you can shoot with small jpg's highly compressed -- since they are only for viewing on the road anyway.

Lee

I gave up on that idea, I have a 100 gig PD70X aka HD80 being delivered on Monday. I think a couple people that I'm riding with are bring laptops so I can view if I need too. I was also thinking about bringing the TV out cable so I can view after I copy to the PD70X since I am bring 2 4 Gig cards and 2 1 Gig cards and hopefully will only have to erase the cards at the end of the day.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    With all due respect
    MPerdomo wrote:

I *strongly* disagree with this advice.

This is not your average "family-vacation-let's-snap-those-kids-with-the-clown" kind of trip. :nono
    We're getting a chance to visit one of the most beautiful places in US (if not on Earth) with the specific photography agenda.
    And since I have been to both of those canyons, mark my words: they can be *very* challenging to shoot properly, to say the least. RAW can be a life-saver in this case.

Do you really want to spend all this time, money and efforts only to get back with 2 times more shots you cannot possibly fix later?...ne_nau.gif

RAW is the word for this trip!!:):

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited April 28, 2006
    What Shay said..:-)

All good points. 15524779-Ti.gif
    And of course a glass of a nice 50 y.o. port when you PS-ing them :-)1drink.gif

I'm gonna use my 2x2Gb UltaII CF cards and offload them to 60Gb portable HDD. Decent amount of chimping (30D's 2.5" LCD will be very handy:-) to find out if you need to reshoot.

RAW Rulez!clap.gif
    edited April 28, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    All good points. 15524779-Ti.gif
    And of course a glass of a nice 50 y.o. port when you PS-ing them :-)1drink.gif

I'm gonna use my 2x2Gb UltaII CF cards and offload them to 60Gb portable HDD. Decent amount of chimping (30D's 2.5" LCD will be very handy:-) to find out if you need to reshoot.

RAW Rulez!clap.gif

Port is good although a bit too rich at times. I prefer my double dirty ketel one martini's. Is there a bar at Ruby's or the place at Zion?
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
    edited April 28, 2006
    Bob,
    Bob Bell wrote:
    Port is good although a bit too rich at times. I prefer my double dirty ketel one martini's. Is there a bar at Ruby's or the place at Zion?

That's another one of my favorites (along with the aforementioned port and Guinness:-) beer.gif
    There sure is bar at Ruby's, and even if it's closed there are "general mercantile" stores nearby, where we can get all the ingredients :D.
    Just remind me before the trip not to forget my mixer :):
    edited April 28, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    That's another one of my favorites (along with the aforementioned port and Guinness:-) beer.gif
    There sure is bar at Ruby's, and even if it's closed there are "general mercantile" stores nearby, where we can get all the ingredients :D.
    Just remind me before the trip not to forget my mixer :):

Guinness has been my fav beer for a long time.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses