Conifers in Bloom

ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
edited April 27, 2006 in Holy Macro
Hey have to take the shots that make the 'person who buys the camera equipment' happy:D Thanks for looking!

Acrocona, cones at the ends of the barnche so sort of self prunes

66401598-L.jpg

Aureospicata, flushes bright gold which looks pretty wild with the dark green older needles

66401515-L.jpg

Abies pinsapo ' Aurea' Don's pride and joy, probably the most beautiful conifer we have. Hard to find one with any size and the cost was, well a very good down payment on some L glass. We do have priority issues here:wxwax

66401074-L.jpg

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Thusie, I can see why your sidekick is so taken with connifers! Those are gorgeous! I love the color in the first 2, but love the DOF in the last shot. Are they worth the price of an L glass??.....jury's out on that one!!! :D (Actually, I understand how it feels to be passionate, and willing to drop big $, when you collect just about anything!)
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Thanks Saurora. He actually has a very good eye, studies up on them and it is so bad the the surrounding nurseries set aside choice conifers they think he might like!
    Hah! but I did get the 400 5.6L. here ya go chickie babe, your new toy, now not one word about the conifers. Couse he is well past the cost of that and it isn't even May yetrolleyes1.gif Aha I do see the 35 f1.4L in my future.........
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Great shots Thusie! I like the colors and background in the second shot the best.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited April 26, 2006
    Thnaks much Nick, glad you like them!
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Number #3
    Thusie wrote:
    Hey have to take the shots that make the 'person who buys the camera equipment' happy:D Thanks for looking!

Acrocona, cones at the ends of the barnche so sort of self prunes
    Aureospicata, flushes bright gold which looks pretty wild with the dark green older needles
    Abies pinsapo ' Aurea' Don's pride and joy, probably the most beautiful conifer we have. Hard to find one with any size and the cost was, well a very good down payment on some L glass. We do have priority issues hereumph.gif

Number #3 is real nice I like the others two but number #3 would be my choice if I had to pick just one......gosh they have pretty pink flowers don't they ........ Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited April 26, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Number #3 is real nice I like the others two but number #3 would be my choice if I had to pick just one......gosh they have pretty pink flowers don't they ........ Skippy (Australia)

Thank you for looking Skippy..Don will be quite pleased you like #3 best:):
  • OnreyOnrey Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Thusie, great photos. But I dont believe any of them are Natural species in the USA ? :): You see I have a "Plan" I have a degree in forestry and since Don loves conifers I can provide him several thousand good ole Southern Virginia Pine (Pinus Virginiana). he could start a new business (Christmas Tree Farm) and in return I only ask for a Canon 400f/2.8L mwink.gif Do we have a deal ? clap.gif

Seriously, those trees look lovely. I have alot of wildfire and control burn photos nobody here has ever seen.
    Brad Fite :D
    www.fitephotography.com
    Canon 1D MkIIN, Canon 50D, Canon 300 f/2.8L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L, Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender,
    Canon 580 & 420 Flash, Pocket Wizards,
    Alien Bee 800, Other misc stuff
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    The colors are magnificent. Very beautiful plant. The DOF is amazing, you did a nice job. What type of lens are you using, im guessing a 50mm ????
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
    edited April 27, 2006
    Onrey wrote:
    Thusie, great photos. But I dont believe any of them are Natural species in the USA ? :):

Hum the first one is a Picea abies..Norway spruce
    #2 Picea orientalis, Asia
    3# the pinsapo is a spanish fur

Now we do have a Pinus v. Wate's Golden, cool, green in summer gold in winter
    You see I have a "Plan" I have a degree in forestry and since Don loves conifers I can provide him several thousand good ole Southern Virginia Pine (Pinus Virginiana). he could start a new business (Christmas Tree Farm) and in return I only ask for a Canon 400f/2.8L mwink.gif Do we have a deal ? clap.gif

Ya think! In your DREAMS, heck that lens is in my dreamsrolleyes1.gif
    Seriously, those trees look lovely. I have alot of wildfire and control burn photos nobody here has ever seen.

Thank you and if you have some of your burn shots up send me the link would like to see.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    thumb.gif Great T. Love that exposure.
    edited April 27, 2006
    The colors are magnificent. Very beautiful plant. The DOF is amazing, you did a nice job. What type of lens are you using, im guessing a 50mm ????

Thank you very much. The lens is the EF-S 60 f2.8 macro and the shots were stopped down to f7. I love that lens and it is sharp wide open. It (the lens) has a real learning curve for me, very useful, I use it quite a bit.
    edited April 27, 2006
    Humungus wrote:
    thumb.gif Great T. Love that exposure.

Thanks muchly Gus:):
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited April 27, 2006
    Gorgeous trees - i bet the whole tree looks pretty nice with all the purple cones in their young stage... any shots from further back?
    ear.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited April 27, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Gorgeous trees - i bet the whole tree looks pretty nice with all the purple cones in their young stage... any shots from further back?
    ear.gif

Not yet. They aren't really in full swing and I'm trying to figure out what lens to use. Sometimes whole tree shots work best with the 70-200 at 200ne_nau.gif I seem to get more overall detail that way, operator issues probably:):

Thanks.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    thumb.gif nice pictures
    nice investment in lens iloveyou.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited April 27, 2006
    thumb.gif nice pictures
    nice investment in lens iloveyou.gif

Thank you Awais!