long exposure waterfall

vermentonvermenton Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
edited April 30, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
eaton canyon waterfall long exposure

Comments

• swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Excellent image. The tones are fabulous!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    very nice!
    vermenton wrote:
    eaton canyon waterfall long exposure

Like the post-work. I would like to see larger version, if possible...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Nicely done. I also would like to see a larger size. (I suggest taking a little off the top ... just to see if a little cropping might make a great photo just a bit better).
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Great B&W conversion and great photo.
    iloveyou.gifclap.gif
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    That's very nice! The water over the rocks in the foreground really makes the shot. I can see what Seefutlung is talking about.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    beautiful shot! thumb.gif

Agree with all those who wouldl ike to see a larger version!
  • vermentonvermenton Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    That's very nice! The water over the rocks in the foreground really makes the shot. I can see what Seefutlung is talking about.

thank you for all your coments
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Now THAT's a pikcha!!
    vermenton wrote:
    thank you for all your coments

Great image!
    Maybe play with cropping, and also add some simple dark frame (as you did with a smaller version)?
    But it's an awesome one as is thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 26, 2006
    I like the composition with the rocks in the foreground, and the blurred water leading to the falls in the background. There is real potential here. But it falls just shy of its potential.

I have two criticisms of the second image.

First, there is no white anywhere in the image. When I measure the brightest areas I can see in tha water and its reflections, I can find no values higher than 220,220,220 or so - I see no values near 240, 245, or 250 designating white or specular reflections from water soaked rocks. This causes the image to seem flat and lack contrast. I am speaking of the second image - the first image DID read 245,245,245 in the water near the lower right corner, so it did have the better contrast range. But the second image does not.

Second, the image does not seems critically sharp in the forground or the background. I wonder if a bit of USM might help this image gain the sharp crispness and snap that I think it needs.

Just one man's opinion, though.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • gildcogildco Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Excellent work.
    Gil
  • nalvareznalvarez Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    Great photo composition and lighting!
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    It's a great looking shot, but I agree that it may help to give the sharpness
    just a bump.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2006
    If you can reproduce the same look from the first image you submitted at the beginning of the thread to a larger version and kick up the sharpness just a notch, I think it would be a stronger photograph (I'm referring to the second larger version). I agree with Pathfinder, if you make highlights out of the water, make the whites more distinct, you can have a poster worthy of putting on a wall to sell thumb.gif
  • vermentonvermenton Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2006
    mr peas wrote:
    If you can reproduce the same look from the first image you submitted at the beginning of the thread to a larger version and kick up the sharpness just a notch, I think it would be a stronger photograph (I'm referring to the second larger version). I agree with Pathfinder, if you make highlights out of the water, make the whites more distinct, you can have a poster worthy of putting on a wall to sell thumb.gif

Thank you all for you coment, I will certainly reporoduce to match the first picture.
  • MarkSBMarkSB Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2006
    Good shot!t
    Good shot. A little more contrast if possible might tweak it up.
    I think the focus is good, and a good overall shot.
  • sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    Its Wonderfull clap.gif

I agree about the dark framing on the larger image :)
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    First, there is no white anywhere in the image. When I measure the brightest areas I can see in tha water and its reflections, I can find no values higher than 220,220,220 or so - I see no values near 240, 245, or 250 designating white or specular reflections from water soaked rocks. This causes the image to seem flat and lack contrast. I am speaking of the second image - the first image DID read 245,245,245 in the water near the lower right corner, so it did have the better contrast range. But the second image does not.

While I think it could benefit from a small contrast bump, I don't think it needs bright-white tones to work. I like the darker feel in this case. Too often I think we're always eager to go to the levels/curves and stretch the tones to fill out the histogram. The truth is, many scenes in life are not represented that way.