Photo Mugs

InskiPInskiP Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited April 27, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I'd like to order some photo mugs. Does anyone have step-by-step instructions on how to do this. I'm primarily confused on the sizing issue. I found the pixel deminsions on the product page, but need more info.

If I create a new document at 450 or 524x1275 @300, I end up w/ a picture thats less than 2 inches high. That can't be right, can it??? Does anyone have the mug deminsion in INCHES?

BTW I found the other post on mugs by Cindy, but that really didn't clarify things for me...

Thanks

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Ignore DPI. Just upload your full size photo, as many pixels as possible. DPI is meaningless - you just have to meet the minimum print resolution requirements for the mug, as stated here:

http://www.smugmug.com/prints/ceramic-photo-mugs

I hope this helps :D
  • InskiPInskiP Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    Thanks Andy, but I want to include text to the mug as well and not sure how to set up my template or document, whatever. I think I saw a mug that you did w/ a quote and a guy walking w/ an umbrella. How do I go about doing that properly so that my text isn't misaligned or part of my image cropped off?

You say to ignoor dpi, but if I create a new document(in PS) at the recommended deminsions of 450 or 525x1275, it asks me for the dpi. My photo is 4x5 crop (2133x2666) and 533dpi. How do I plop it into a 450(525)x1275 without it being huge? Am I making sense?

Thanks again.
    edited April 27, 2006
    InskiP wrote:
    Thanks Andy, but I want to include text to the mug as well and not sure how to set up my template or document, whatever. I think I saw a mug that you did w/ a quote and a guy walking w/ an umbrella. How do I go about doing that properly so that my text isn't misaligned or part of my image cropped off?

You say to ignoor dpi, but if I create a new document(in PS) at the recommended deminsions of 450 or 525x1275, it asks me for the dpi. My photo is 4x5 crop (2133x2666) and 533dpi. How do I plop it into a 450(525)x1275 without it being huge? Am I making sense?

Thanks again.

OK let's try again :D

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/1029411/1/47738019

That mug, is 300dpi and dimensions of 1275px by 450px.

Steps, in Photoshop:

1) New document, 1275 by 450px 300dpi
    2) open your photo also (portrait, landscape orientation, doesnt matter - you had said portrait I think...)
    3) select-all on the photo, copy, paste onto your new mug-document
    4) edit>transform>scale and size it till it fits like you want.
    5) placement: if you have the photo on the left side, it will be on the OUTSIDE of the mug, when held in your right hand, and vice versa.
    6) place your text, on the other side of the document.

voila!
  • CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    OK let's try again :D

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/1029411/1/47738019

That mug, is 300dpi and dimensions of 1275px by 450px.

Steps, in Photoshop:

1) New document, 1275 by 450px 300dpi
    2) open your photo also (portrait, landscape orientation, doesnt matter - you had said portrait I think...)
    3) select-all on the photo, copy, paste onto your new mug-document
    4) edit>transform>scale and size it till it fits like you want.
    5) placement: if you have the photo on the left side, it will be on the OUTSIDE of the mug, when held in your right hand, and vice versa.
    6) place your text, on the other side of the document.

voila!

clap.gif Yeah Andy! These are the type of instructions we need for ALL the products :): Maybe add to that the safe zone area (portion of edges that need to be protected so they don't get chopped off and we'd be ready to create on the fly. Blank PSD document/templates showing the safe &/or crop lines on seperate layers (we'd delete those) and made available for downloading would be super fabulous. mwink.gif We could then just download the product template; open in photoshop and bam... create at will.
    BTW: Robin e-mailed to let me know you checked out my magnet size/setup and that it was okay. Pretty rough layout I know... didn't want to do much till I knew it would work out. Thank you so very much!
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
    edited April 27, 2006
    Thanks Andy for the step-by-step info! I'm working on it right now in PS. I decided on the 15oz mug and created a new doc based on the info you provided above. The only thing that concerns me is that my "print size" doc is SO small. It says the doc size is only 4.25x1.75, is this normal?? I want to ensure the best quality.

Thanks again.
    edited April 27, 2006
    InskiP wrote:
    Thanks Andy for the step-by-step info! I'm working on it right now in PS. I decided on the 15oz mug and created a new doc based on the info you provided above. The only thing that concerns me is that my "print size" doc is SO small. It says the doc size is only 4.25x1.75, is this normal?? I want to ensure the best quality.

Thanks again.

Let me say it again: IGNORE DPI.
    edited April 27, 2006
    Here's my mug. Should everything be perfectly centered to line up propery on the mug or will this be okay?
    edited April 27, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Let me say it again: IGNORE DPI.

Okay. I guess I don't understand DPI very well. I just know that when I saw that teeny, tiny little image I was concerned.

Thanks for all your help.
    edited April 27, 2006
    InskiP wrote:
    Here's my mug. Should everything be perfectly centered to line up propery on the mug or will this be okay?

I'd move your text over to the left a bit. Take a look again at the example in my gallery.
    edited April 27, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I'd move your text over to the left a bit. Take a look again at the example in my gallery.

Do I have to rasterize or convert the type in PS or anything like that?