First post: a couple of infrared pics

kerrykerry Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited April 28, 2006 in Holy Macro
Hi folks! This is my first post here, so I thought I'd just dive right in. These are a couple I took last weekend with my IR-modified Rebel XT. Hope you like them!
ir11.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited April 26, 2006
    Hey Kerry, welcome to DGrin wave.gif

Great first post! Good composition in these. What IR gear and experience do you have? We'd love to see more of your work.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    15524779-Ti.gif

That second shot is awsome, I like the subject and the toneing.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Welcome to Dgrin Kerry
    kerry wrote:
    Hi folks! This is my first post here, so I thought I'd just dive right in. These are a couple I took last weekend with my IR-modified Rebel XT. Hope you like them!

Nice work thumb.gif I love how that vine is working its way up the tree, and you did Colour IR too yeahhhh for you, I still haven't figured out how to do that yet rolleyes1.gif

Enjoy the forum, nice to have you on board :D and we look forward to seeing you post heaps more work ........ all the best..... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • kerrykerry Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Hey Kerry, welcome to DGrin wave.gif

Great first post! Good composition in these. What IR gear and experience do you have? We'd love to see more of your work.

Thanks David!

I'm currently using a Canon Digital Rebel XT that was converted by MaxMax.com. I just got it back from being converted late last week & these were a few from the first batch of images I took with it. Those shots were with the Canon EF-S 10-22mm lens.

...Prior to the XT, I had a Digital Rebel, also converted by MaxMax. (I'd have to say that I like the performance of the XT better overall. I've also got a 'normal' XT, so it's nice to have the exact same controls to deal with on both cams.) I'll see if I can dig up some pics from the IR Rebel & post.

...Prior to that, I used a Sony F828 with an R72 filter. Got some decent pics from that setup, but it wasn't anywhere near as flexible as the DSLR setup. Shot in Nightshot mode, which required the use of an ND filter as well as the R72. Had to deal with some pretty long exposures. I'm not sure if I have any of these pics around still or not. I'll check.

...Prior to that, I used a Sony F717 with an R72 filter. Similar experience as the F828. A few decent pics, but I was still trying to figure out which way was up at that point.

I had stumbled across some of Andy Williams' IR images in another forum somewhere (this must have been 2-3-4 years ago, not sure) and was totally blown away by what I saw. I've spent alot of time (and a few bucks!) trying to emulate that stuff. That dude is "the man" as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the welcome & I'll post more of my IR pics as I can.

:) Kerry
    edited April 26, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

That second shot is awsome, I like the subject and the toneing.

Thank you very much! I'm glad you like the pic.

:)
    Kerry
    edited April 26, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Nice work thumb.gif I love how that vine is working its way up the tree, and you did Colour IR too yeahhhh for you, I still haven't figured out how to do that yet rolleyes1.gif

Enjoy the forum, nice to have you on board :D and we look forward to seeing you post heaps more work ........ all the best..... Skippy (Australia)

Thanks Skippy! I'm glad to have found dgrin!

Here is where I got the fundamentals of my current post-processing routine for these false color IRs: http://burren.cx/photo/ir_cameras.html

Pretty straightforward & seems to work very well. Just remember that each image reacts differently in post depending on what info is in the original capture. Some images take this technique better than others. I hope this info will help you out.

Thanks again!
    Kerry
  • SushantSushant Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    Wow! What can a say, Kerry? The shots are simply spectacular. Look forward to seeing a lot more. thumb.gif
    - Sushant

http://sushant.smugmug.com
    sony dsc-v3, p200, toshiba pdr-3300, canon xt-350d
  • mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    Cool shots
    and thanks for the link.......Mereimage
  • ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    Very nice ones Kerry.iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.gif
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    Excellent work thanks for sharing
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • retroretro Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    Well, I guess I'm one of the few who never saw what ir photos was all about and still really doesn't, I'm simply not interested in learning the IR technique myself..
    That said, your second photo is really great! Actually it's probably the best ir shot ive seen since i've always skipped them before,
    Great work, a piece of art! Congrats.
    edited April 28, 2006
    retro wrote:
    Well, I guess I'm one of the few who never saw what ir photos was all about and still really doesn't, I'm simply not interested in learning the IR technique myself..
    That said, your second photo is really great! Actually it's probably the best ir shot ive seen since i've always skipped them before,
    Great work, a piece of art! Congrats.

wow, thanks! high praise from a non-believer! lol! much appreciated, retro. different strokes for different folks, man. i've always been drawn to things that are a bit out of the ordinary & IR totally fits the bill, that's why i like it so much.

thanks again!
    kerry