sepia toning

prity goldfishprity goldfish Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
edited April 27, 2006 in Finishing School
what's the best way to get a good sepia toning on CS2? the only way I know how to do it is with duotone, but then i have to sit there and go through all the colors to see what looks the best and that takes forever and i can never make up my mind on what colors to use. anyone know an easier way? i'd much appreciate the help!

Comments

• DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    what's the best way to get a good sepia toning on CS2? the only way I know how to do it is with duotone, but then i have to sit there and go through all the colors to see what looks the best and that takes forever and i can never make up my mind on what colors to use. anyone know an easier way? i'd much appreciate the help!

let me introduce you to my little friend deal.gif
    http://www.optikvervelabs.com/

one of the best conversion methods out there and its free! can use all different conversion techniques.thumb.gif i use it most of the time unless i feel like experimenting then i use the Channel Mixer set on Monochrome and then go to Adjustments>photo filters and normally a warm one will work set to your liking.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• prity goldfishprity goldfish Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    let me introduce you to my little friend deal.gif
    http://www.optikvervelabs.com/

one of the best conversion methods out there and its free! can use all different conversion techniques.thumb.gif i use it most of the time unless i feel like experimenting then i use the Channel Mixer set on Monochrome and then go to Adjustments>photo filters and normally a warm one will work set to your liking.

hey thanks i did download it and i actually figured out how to get it to work! i'll have to play around with it to really see how it works. it looks like it will be fun to play with! i really appreciate your help!
  • Cliff PhotoCliff Photo Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    hey thanks i did download it and i actually figured out how to get it to work! i'll have to play around with it to really see how it works. it looks like it will be fun to play with! i really appreciate your help!

Also go to:

Image-Adjusments-Photo Filter

in CS2 and try the sepia tone there after doing a BW conversion.

Nikon shooter: D200, Tokina 12-24, 17-55 2.8, 70-200 VR 2.8, 50 1.4 :click
  • AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    ...And another thought.

The Gorman-Holbert B&W Conversion action, although initially set to black+white, allows changes to any colour desired very easily. Whilst not a split-tone or duotone it seems to work pretty well - and you get an above-average conversion to boot.

If you Google 'Gorman-Holbert B&W Conversion.atn' you should be able to get your hands on it with little difficulty.

Anthony.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    Here's how to do the Gorman method.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    And here's Andy's post at dpreview, explaining his toning method.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • prity goldfishprity goldfish Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    Also go to:

Image-Adjusments-Photo Filter

in CS2 and try the sepia tone there after doing a BW conversion.

i knew photoshop had to have a sepia filter! i just didn't discover it yet. thank you for the help!