How did you find/pick your "sharp copy" of your lens(es)?

MarkM6MarkM6 Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
edited April 27, 2006 in Cameras
I am afraid if a lens I would buy brand-new or used is not a "sharp copy". How did you find yours? Just a pure luck? I have not dealt with this kind of "hit or miss" issues on lenses with Leica...
:scratch

If I buy used and found out to be not sharp, can Canon "fix" it?

Thanks,
M

Comments

• Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    MarkM6 wrote:
    I am afraid if a lens I would buy brand-new or used is not a "sharp copy". How did you find yours? Just a pure luck? If I buy used and found out to be not sharp, can Canon "fix" it?
    headscratch.gif

Thanks,
    M

Mark, a lot of the unsharp lens comments are not made from a technical aspect. Additionally, you hear comments from a smaller percentage of overall owners. If 99% said nothing and 1% said everything, it would seem bad because it doesn't have a point of reference.

Canon can definately clean and adjust any EOS lens. Often people send their bodies and lenses in to have them adjust together.

Again, it would be pure luck that you got a soft version since not many exist.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    What bob just said thumb.gif
  • MarkM6MarkM6 Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    To BB in AZ...
    Can I send my lens to Bob and see if he could tell me whether it is a "sharp copy"???

-M
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    MarkM6 wrote:
    Can I send my lens to Bob and see if he could tell me whether it is a "sharp copy"???

-M
    I dont see why not ne_nau.gif ...i send all my photos to andy for colour correction.
    edited April 27, 2006
    MarkM6 wrote:

-M

I have room for it. I have reduced from 16 lenses to 10 so there is room in the drawers. Are you sending me a 400/2.8 IS or 500/4 IS? I can move the extra dedicated flashes if need be. rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    Andy wrote:

nod.gif

I watched the inspector at work. deal.gif Do you still own that lens? headscratch.gif:D
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited April 27, 2006
    Andy,

One piece of advice that you've given before makes perfect sense -- demand a brand new copy of the lens, untouched by previous customers. Getting somebody elses reject would greatly increase the odds of getting a bad copy.

My question to you is how can you tell if the copy that the dealer brings you has been opened before? I believe the boxes are not sealed in any way. And I know that the retailers are experts in repacking lenses; I've seen them in action.

Any advice here?

Thanks and regards,
    -joel
    edited April 27, 2006
    Andy wrote:

I thought that was how to pick a tasty lunch? :D
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
    edited April 27, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    I thought that was how to pick a tasty lunch? :D

He only sent back three steaks. lol3.gif
    edited April 27, 2006
    Was that a joke?
    Are you joking when you hint that Andy sent back 3 copies of 85L f1.2 before the current copy?
    headscratch.gif
    edited April 27, 2006
    MarkM6 wrote:
    Are you joking when you hint that Andy sent back 3 copies of 85L f1.2 before the current copy?
    headscratch.gif

No joke. I watched as he did it.
    edited April 27, 2006
    MarkM6 wrote:
    headscratch.gif

Not a joke. Not at all.
    edited April 27, 2006
    Scary!
    Andy wrote:
    Not a joke. Not at all.

So, what Bob said in the first reply is not the case with Canon lenses? Even the L-Series lenses?

Is there a specific "test shots" that Andy did before he determined that those 3 copies of the 85L/1.2 were not sharp?

I will not receive the same treatment that Andy does when I go to the Canon stores...

:uhoh
    edited April 27, 2006
    MarkM6 wrote:
    So, what Bob said in the first reply is not the case with Canon lenses? Even the L-Series lenses?

Is there a specific "test shots" that Andy did before he determined that those 3 copies of the 85L/1.2 were not sharp?

I will not receive the same treatment that Andy does when I go to the Canon stores...

Why would you? Demand it. You're spending lots of money. I shop at B&H because I can personally see & touch the merch. And I have 2 weeks to return it for a new copy if I find there's a problem (never had that!)...
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    MarkM6 wrote:

he was looking for dust bunnies in it when he held it up to his eye... i'm pretty sure i've never heard of an L lens being "soft" before.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com