How can I presell on Smugmug?

kammermankammerman Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
edited April 29, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hi Andy,

So far, I've uploaded 2600 images from last year's baseball season, with lots more to go. I wish I knew of Smugmug then, because I would have saved lots of time.

Right now we're using my photos for the 2006 souvenier program and magnets, and updating the Bethesda Big Train's website. When my colleagues want a photo, I place it in a password protected gallery and they can download the full-size image. No more emailing at midnight after a game and hoping the images are small enough to make their way to the recipient. And no more multiple emails! Yippee.

Now we're planning for 2006, which starts June 9.

Here's the challenge and question.

I want to offer a packgage of 25 4x6s for $100. (Regular price is $5 each.) The photos can be from the season or from pre-game picnics or on-the-field entertainment.

How do I do this? They could prepay me by check or credit card (I have a merchant account). But then what?

Thank you!
Lisa

P.S.
Here's what I have so far: bigtrain.smugmug.com
After everything is uploaded, I will customize the site and assign www.BigTrainPhotos.com
Lisa

bigtrainphotos.com (Bethesda Big Train Baseball Photos)
Kammerman Portraits
(Portraits, Events, Children with Special Needs, Daycare)

Photography Referral System

Comments

• marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    I suppose they could prepay you and then you could order them through the website yourself and put their address in the ship to slot?
    Oh, btw, I'm from Bethesda, about 1/2 from Walt Whitman HS.
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    Hi Lisa,

I think your prepay is an excellent idea... unfortunately there is no easy way to accomplish this with Smugmug today. Ideas like this have been suggested to SM and hopefully they are being worked on.

For example if you could issue a coupon, discount, or pre-paid card to the customer for your prints, it would help solve this.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience doing something like this?
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • kammermankammerman Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    I suppose they could prepay you and then you could order them through the website yourself and put their address in the ship to slot?
    Oh, btw, I'm from Bethesda, about 1/2 from Walt Whitman HS.

Hi Marlin,

Your idea would work for a limited number of customers and a limited number of images to choose from.

The parents, however, live all across the country. FYI: The players are all-stars at their colleges. This is a wonderful opportunity for them to play in a wooden bat league in front of major league scouts.

I went to grad school in Chapel Hill. Are you close to there? We live a few blocks from Burning Tree ES.

Let me know if you ever come back to Bethesda and we can meet up.

Thank you for your help,
    Lisa
    Lisa

Kammerman Portraits

edited April 27, 2006
    JimM wrote:
    Hi Lisa,

I think your prepay is an excellent idea... unfortunately there is no easy way to accomplish this with Smugmug today. Ideas like this have been suggested to SM and hopefully they are being worked on.

For example if you could issue a coupon, discount, or pre-paid card to the customer for your prints, it would help solve this.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience doing something like this?

Hi Jim,

That definitely would be a great feature. I've actually used it before with other online providers and was hoping it would be here a well..

Thank you!
    Lisa
    Lisa

Kammerman Portraits

edited April 29, 2006
    kammerman wrote:
    Hi Marlin,
    I went to grad school in Chapel Hill. Are you close to there? We live a few blocks from Burning Tree ES.

I go to college at Davidson College, about 20 miles north of charlotte so about 2 hours south of Chapel Hill (though I have a friend who goes to Chapel Hill). Home is still Bethesda though, and IIRC Burning Tree is where I go to vote, though I may be wrong on that I'm always getting the names of the area public elementary schools confused.
    edited April 29, 2006
    I go to college at Davidson College, about 20 miles north of charlotte so about 2 hours south of Chapel Hill (though I have a friend who goes to Chapel Hill). Home is still Bethesda though, and IIRC Burning Tree is where I go to vote, though I may be wrong on that I'm always getting the names of the area public elementary schools confused.

Be sure to give me a call when you're here. If you want, you can help photograph a Big Train baseball game....

What are you studying?

Lisa
    Lisa

Kammerman Portraits

edited April 29, 2006
    Political science major, econ minor, hope to go to law school. My parents don't exactly approve of my photographing, so that's a negatory, I'll be working doing femal dog work temping at some law firms again most likely.
  • LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2006
    hope to go to law school

headscratch.gif, :argue, :deadhorse, eek7.gif, :cry, :booze, :puke, gerg.gif, :hung
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.