Latest attempt at IR

gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
edited April 29, 2006 in Holy Macro
Well so far all my attempts at a decent IR shot have been pretty bad. I went to the Morton Arboretum today to try my luck. I think I did OK but really had to boost the exposure in post because I screwed it up royally in the field. Take a look and let me know what you think. Be harsh, I'm new to IR and can use all the help I can get.

I like this one the best, I just wish I had a more dramatic sky.
66658446-L.jpg

This is the kind of sky I wish I had in the first shot.
66658756-L.jpg

Here is a gallery with a couple others I took today, have a look.
http://gluwater.smugmug.com/gallery/1407729/1/66658446
Nick
SmugMug Technical Account Manager
Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
nickwphoto

Comments

• SushantSushant Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    It looks like you did a good job taking the pictures and post processing them. Skies are dark, leaves are white, and no visible blowouts. Just some issues with composition but that's a battle in all photographs. BTW, did you do some sharpening? The second pic seems like it could use some more.
    - Sushant

http://sushant.smugmug.com
    sony dsc-v3, p200, toshiba pdr-3300, canon xt-350d
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited April 28, 2006
    I know both those spots well, and have shots almost identical (just not IR's :cry ). Some day. Some day.

Just got the property tax bill today. Way higher. Why does the universe not want me to spend money on (yet more) photo gear?

Nick, these are well done. No problemo on either. About 2 more weeks for prime IR season. clap.gif You'll miss it of course because you'll be playing out west. :D The Arboretum and the Chicago Botanical Gardens are great places for this sort of thing. If you're going to get to either often enough, a yearly membership in the Morton Arboretum gets you into other places for free. C.B.G. and Garfield Park Conservatory are on the long list of included sites.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    Sushant wrote:
    It looks like you did a good job taking the pictures and post processing them. Skies are dark, leaves are white, and no visible blowouts. Just some issues with composition but that's a battle in all photographs. BTW, did you do some sharpening? The second pic seems like it could use some more.

Thanks Sushant. I did sharpen, actually more than I normally would have. But I do see what you're saying in the second shot. I also suck at landscapes so that plus I'm new to IR and a disaster is waiting to happen. What would you change about the composition on these? Any tips are appreciated.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
    edited April 28, 2006
    Thanks David. I was only there for about an hour and hardly got past the entrance. I have never been through the whole thing yet. I was thinking of getting a membership but I didn't know it worked for other places. Thanks for the info. Did you know that they have Nature Photography classes there? I was thinking of taking one but they are all in the evening during the week and I am at work then :cry. The botanical garden is on my list of places to go to but I haven't yet. Let me know if you ever want to go shooting again. I'm always up for it.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • SushantSushant Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    Thanks Sushant. I did sharpen, actually more than I normally would have. But I do see what you're saying in the second shot. I also suck at landscapes so that plus I'm new to IR and a disaster is waiting to happen. What would you change about the composition on these? Any tips are appreciated.

In the first one, perhaps a little less of the foreground.
    In the second one, the sky and clouds are great but that half bush to the rist is distracting. Perhaps an angle that showed it whole or none would have been better.
    Note, a lot of this is just personal preference. Overall, I really like your shots.
    - Sushant

http://sushant.smugmug.com
    sony dsc-v3, p200, toshiba pdr-3300, canon xt-350d
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    Very beautiful
    weldone
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    Well so far all my attempts at a decent IR shot have been pretty bad. I went to the Morton Arboretum today to try my luck. I think I did OK but really had to boost the exposure in post because I screwed it up royally in the field. Take a look and let me know what you think. Be harsh, I'm new to IR and can use all the help I can get.

I like this one the best, I just wish I had a more dramatic sky.
    This is the kind of sky I wish I had in the first shot.
    Here is a gallery with a couple others I took today, have a look.
    http://gluwater.smugmug.com/gallery/1407729/1/66658446

Very Nice........ Ohhhhhhhhh I'm a sucker for IR shots rolleyes1.gif there is just something magical about IR, almost like a time warp sort of thing, hard to explain, but it's like time changes in IR .....Love those waved clouds.
    Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • kerrykerry Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    very nice!
    cool IR shots, glu! :)
    edited April 29, 2006
    Thanks for the nice comments Awais, Skippy, and Kerry. Sushant, thanks for the input. I think I should have moved up a little bit on the first shot and maybe closer to the bridge, and on the second I really just liked the clouds, I couldn't find anything more interesting for the foreground so I used the bushes.
    Nick
    nickwphoto