Options

Six Million Dollar Girl

leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
edited October 25, 2004 in People
This photo reminds me of the old Six Million Dollar man TV show.

10258945-M.jpg

We can make her stronger -- faster! :)

Today was the last day of fall soccer. The first two games were pouring rain -- so I didn't shoot. But I got to shoot the last game....decent lighting for a change.

10258922-M.jpg

Gallery: link here

Lee

Comments

• Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2004
    Lee - She's at least ten million....
    leebase wrote:
    This photo reminds me of the old Six Million Dollar man TV show.

10258945-M.jpg

We can make her stronger -- faster! :)

Today was the last day of fall soccer. The first two games were pouring rain -- so I didn't shoot. But I got to shoot the last game....decent lighting for a change.

10258922-M.jpg

Gallery: link here

Lee

Today was a great day for shooting soccer where we play. I tried something new with the 20D. I , in the past would use sports mode and halp press many times while centering my subject ( thought it was the way to do it ) today I just kep it half pressed and followed my subject. I got more keepers. I have no idea which is the correct way though...

troy
    troy
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2004
    Lee, that first shot is terrific. Nice job! Love the isolation against the background, nice light and color, very cool.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2004
    windoze wrote:
    Today was a great day for shooting soccer where we play. I tried something new with the 20D. I , in the past would use sports mode and halp press many times while centering my subject ( thought it was the way to do it ) today I just kep it half pressed and followed my subject. I got more keepers. I have no idea which is the correct way though...

troy
    troy

You can use sport mode with the 20D if you want...but there's no need to (unlike with the Digital Rebel). Set the AF mode to "AI Servo". Half press with the center focus point over your "subject". Keep half pressed as you follow your subject and shoot when you want to. That's how you use AI Servo....which is particularly helpful when the subject is coming toward or away from you at a more or less constant rate.

You have to pay attention though...and notice when you lose focus from your intended subject. When that happens...you just re-half-press to refocus on your subject.

Lee
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2004
    thanx Lee - question?
    leebase wrote:
    You can use sport mode with the 20D if you want...but there's no need to (unlike with the Digital Rebel). Set the AF mode to "AI Servo". Half press with the center focus point over your "subject". Keep half pressed as you follow your subject and shoot when you want to. That's how you use AI Servo....which is particularly helpful when the subject is coming toward or away from you at a more or less constant rate.

You have to pay attention though...and notice when you lose focus from your intended subject. When that happens...you just re-half-press to refocus on your subject.

Lee
    so when you shoot are you using Av, Tv, or M?
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2004
    windoze wrote:
    so when you shoot are you using Av, Tv, or M?

Any of them. I typically use Av or Tv...and then use exposure compensation after looking at the histogram.

If I'm wanting to control depth of field, I shoot in Av mode. The wider the aperture (smaller f stop number) the more narrow the dof. Like in the first picture in this thread where the girl is in focus but the background isn't. You have to pay attention to the shutter speed you are getting...and bump up the ISO if the shutter is too slow.

Or...if you want to control the shutter to freeze action...or leave a little motion blur for effect...then you shoot Tv mode. Again...you pay attention to the aperatures to make sure you are within range.

Then I look at the histogram and add exposure compensation one way or the other to snug the histogram over to the right...but not so far that I blow out the highlights.

Of course you can just shoot manual and pay attention to either shutter or aperature.

Lee
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2004
    Hey Lee - a question about AI Servo
    I misplaced my manual. In Av mode how do you get AI Servo to kick in???

troy

leebase wrote:
    Any of them. I typically use Av or Tv...and then use exposure compensation after looking at the histogram.

If I'm wanting to control depth of field, I shoot in Av mode. The wider the aperture (smaller f stop number) the more narrow the dof. Like in the first picture in this thread where the girl is in focus but the background isn't. You have to pay attention to the shutter speed you are getting...and bump up the ISO if the shutter is too slow.

Or...if you want to control the shutter to freeze action...or leave a little motion blur for effect...then you shoot Tv mode. Again...you pay attention to the aperatures to make sure you are within range.

Then I look at the histogram and add exposure compensation one way or the other to snug the histogram over to the right...but not so far that I blow out the highlights.

Of course you can just shoot manual and pay attention to either shutter or aperature.

Lee
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2004
    windoze wrote:
    I misplaced my manual. In Av mode how do you get AI Servo to kick in???

troy
    On the 20D you press the Drive button and then move the top wheel to choose between One Shot/AI focus/AI Servo.

The buttons on the top of the camera come in pairs. You press the button, then either the top wheel to change whatever was listed first...or the rear wheel to change whatever was listed second.

Lee