Don't ever trust a camera to DHL!

ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
edited April 29, 2006 in Cameras
I'm writing this as i'm waiting for the third morning in a row that DHL has yet to deliver my sweet sweet new 20D that I had shipped in from the west coast.

They pass off their shippments to local "agents" (IE: Outsourcing to local couriers) who may or may not uphold their professional look. (or may or may not leave delivery notices, bother knocking, etc...)

FEDEX is also guilty for a maxtor RMA'd harddrive which I didn't even know was TRYING to be delivered to me...

The only companies I trust are USPS and CanadaPost.
- Scott
http://framebyframe.ca
[Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
[Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
[Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
[Tripod]
Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
[Head] 484RC2, 200RC2

Comments

• leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    Say it isn't so....my 5D is allegedly on a DHL delivery truck as we speak.

Lee
  • Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    leebase wrote:

Lee
    I had a contract with an electronics manufacturer in beijing for a year to shoot their computer electronics for US ads. They shipped me a package or two each month through DHL and never had a problem with the contents. I was always shocked how fast DHL moved things.

I
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • ingramimagesingramimages Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    Big city to big city DHL is probably reliable. I used to work for a major computer manufacturer (headquartered in Houston TX) and we used them (at that time Airborne Express) and rarely had problems.
    Now I work as an on-site service technician covering a VERY rural area of Indiana and Illinois, and whenever any of my 3rd party vendors ship spare parts DHL, it's always a groan because in most places it will be 3pm before parts are delivered (for next day air). I have had one of their "agents" decide they didn't deliver to the destination and put the next day air delivery in the US Mail....
    "All the art in my work dwells in the subjects; it's all theirs. It's not made up by me; I ain't that smart."

• trihokietrihokie Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    These reasons are why I order from B&H. They may not always be the cheapest but they ship UPS and they pack their shipments very well. It's easy to blame UPS or Fedex or whoever, for damaged goods, but in most cases things get damaged because there were not properly packed at the warehouse.

Hokies Rule!
    www.trihokie.com
  • Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    trihokie wrote:
    These reasons are why I order from B&H. They may not always be the cheapest but they ship UPS and they pack their shipments very well. It's easy to blame UPS or Fedex or whoever, for damaged goods, but in most cases things get damaged because there were not properly packed at the warehouse.

Good Points. B&H and those airbag things are pretty sweet. I am still surprised to see people using those peanut things when newer technology is available.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2006
    leebase wrote:

Lee

Lee, you'd better not read this tread on DPR:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=18176654

Ouch!!!

-Matt-
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited April 29, 2006
    lol3.gif

My Lowepro backpack came from B&H the other day wrapped thoroughly in those air pillows as if it was made of fragile glass or something. I had to unspool the thing a couple of turns to find it. Hilarious.

trihokie wrote:
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    lol3.gif

My Lowepro backpack came from B&H the other day wrapped thoroughly in those air pillows as if it was made of fragile glass or something. I had to unspool the thing a couple of turns to find it. Hilarious.

Yeah, my complaint isn't anything about packing, it was just the blatant irresponsibility of DHL passing off to "local agents" who they didn't seem to be accountable for.

DHL city to city might be quick, but

DHL city to city to domicile = nay
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2