Options

Challenge 24 - Freeups Landscapes

FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
edited October 26, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here are some shots from yesterday guys. I'm not sure how well they fit into landscapes, but I'll keep at it. Enjoy!

Central park - Autumn Walk. Its me in the shot. I set the timer and walked away from the camera.
10258004-L.jpg

Autumn Leaf. Inspired by Lynns last submission. :)
10258007-L.jpg

Me again, self timer. Some real trial and error here.
10258008-L.jpg

Could I pull of cityscape with this one?
10257989-M.jpg
No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited October 24, 2004
    The leaf on water is a great shot. I'd love to see what the path you're walking
    down in the first leads to.

But the third shot is the one I like.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ishish Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    I like the concept of the first one, but I am not sure if I like you in the direct middle, and blurry. I am sure that is the effect you wanted, and a part of me likes it, but it also throws me a little when the colors and crispness of the rest of the shot is so vibrant.

The second one is super textured and really cool in the shade it is in. Good stuff~

I like the composition of the third shot a lot. YOu really found a nice lighting scenario and the subtly foggy aspect is giving a lot of mood.

Nice shots~
  • Options
    judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    I love the third shot!!! The pose is perfect for under a bridge.
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    I think these are great shotsthumb.gif . I especially like the s/p under the bridge. You have great creativity in all your photos. For what it's worth, my only thought is that other than the leaf, these shots might not quite fit for the challenge theme. But that might just be me ...

I look forward to seeing lots of your creations over time!

Regards,
    Brad
  • Options
    edited October 24, 2004
    Thank you guys!

Digi, I kinda thought that I kept missing the challenge guidlines as I kept shooting more and more. I wasn't clicking with the traditional landscape shots that day, so this is what I ended up with! I'm happy for sure, but its time for me to get out there and try again.

Thanks all,
    Marshall
  • Options
    miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    I have to agree with digi in that esides the leaf not of these images fit the traditional landscape theme. But you never know what might be accepted. I think all of these are great shots with the first being my favorite. I love how everything around you is in really sharp focus wile your outline is just there. Kind like the background jumps out at the viewer around your body. Nice job.thumb.gif Also, it looks like the leaf is in a puccle of oil. I dont know how you did this but it looks awesome.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    I really like #3 the most. They are all excellent shots but that one just grabs my attention more. The leafscape will probably work the best for the challenge though.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    I agree....I think the last photo is most fitting for the theme of the challenge, however I love the second photo. Very sharp, deep textures...bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2004
    I'm torn,, I like 2 and I like 3. Dunno whats more fitting though.
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2004
    FreeUps wrote:
    I'm torn,, I like 2 and I like 3. Dunno whats more fitting though.

FreeUps,
    No. 1 has real nice color and a nice long view into the landscape if it were not blocked by your body. I think I can imagine it with you about 20 to 30 feet down the path. Might be nice with a yellow rain coat or even just a trench coat and hat. Would be nice with an adult holding a childs hand. Or a man with a black overcoat and black umbrella.

No. 2 is a beautiful pondscape or puddlescape. I love the tonal qualities of it and the slickness of the water. Very nice composition with the curve on the left and the way the leaf lies. Very original. Unique.

No. 3 also qualifies as a landscape as Andy defines it. It's a "keyhole" view into a landscape. It has nice curves and the human element adds to that. Your decision. Which do like?
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    FreeUps,
    No. 1 has real nice color and a nice long view into the landscape if it were not blocked by your body. I think I can imagine it with you about 20 to 30 feet down the path. Might be nice with a yellow rain coat or even just a trench coat and hat. Would be nice with an adult holding a childs hand. Or a man with a black overcoat and black umbrella.

No. 2 is a beautiful pondscape or puddlescape. I love the tonal qualities of it and the slickness of the water. Very nice composition with the curve on the left and the way the leaf lies. Very original. Unique.

No. 3 also qualifies as a landscape as Andy defines it. It's a "keyhole" view into a landscape. It has nice curves and the human element adds to that. Your decision. Which do like?
    Snappy's assessments are spot on. I would just add the caveat that you should specifically get Andy's stamp of "on topic" as his idea of that is sometimes surprising.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited October 26, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    FreeUps,

Like Snappy said - your torso is too close and too dominating in the first image - it would be much better if you were 20 or 30 feet down the path as a part of the landscape rather than the largest part of the image.
    The sepia leaf in the water is nicely done with very good technical quality but does not really ring my bell and I like leaf shots - I have posted several - but I prefer them in color usually. Snappy liked it alot, so the failing is probably mine.ne_nau.gif She has good taste.

The tunnel seems ominous to me, kind of frightening, not a warm and comfortable place like the lighter warmer trees and leaves beyond. The G Blur works well.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2004
    # 3 bridge looks good well done the leaf i almost like but it looks like it's in mercury i can not say. but again these are opinions, art is in the eye of the artist but you are to close that seems more like fact thumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/