Camera started taking Very Noisy pictures...ideas?

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited April 28, 2006 in Cameras
I am not sure what happened to my camera but it now takes terrible pictures no matter what the settings or the flash. It is the Fuji S9000 and on the top setting takes a picture with lots of noise. Here is a picture I just took of my very very messy house.

Comments

• PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    This is a section at 100% crop with the settings at Auto ISO and 9mp.
  • flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    This is a section at 100% crop with the settings at Auto ISO and 9mp.

Auto ISO is what you used.
    So, the actual ISO value may be really high.

If you used flash, my best bet is that the flash may not have been strong enough to light the entire scene properly using a lower ISO value. The camera increased the ISO value to make sure the exposure was correct.

Also, using ISO auto with Auto settings (auto aperture and/or auto shutterspeed) can often lead to unexpected results.... Too many variables and you'll never know how the camera would balance the values of these variables to obtain proper exposure.

I never ever use Auto-ISO. Exactly because of your experience.

If the scene is too dark, i increase the ISO manually.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    I have tried changing the ISO and it does not appear to make any difference. It is definatly something that Just started happening.

Here is a picture of before:
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    I have tried changing the ISO and it does not appear to make any difference. It is definatly something that Just started happening.

Here is a picture of before:

I don't think comparing an inside pic with an outside pic gives us a chance to see the difference. Especially with the auto ISO, no flash, low light thing happening indoors. Could have been a combo of high ISO while in AUTO, and a slow shutter...camera shake. Take an outdoor shot, bright sun, set the ISO, make sure it's a high enough shutter speed to eliminate shake, and lets see how that looks.

ps.....clean your room!lol3.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    Also, the S9000 is notorious for having higher than normal noise, despite it being a very handy camera...

The high noise was so bad, it got the photographer banned from the boards!

(just kidding, the photographer's bad attitude and arrogance got him banned, but the noise did exist.)

That being said, it's still an awesome camera with a fast hyperzoom (2.8-4), making it a great camera for trips and stuff where you can't afford a ridiculous amount of gear.

Regarding the "it just happened", reset all of the settings to factory (there should be an option to do this), make sure you're shooting at the highest quality or in RAW, and be careful how you're processing the shots.

Failing that, send it to Fuji to get checked out.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2